Sign in to follow this  
Bradwell canary

Redmond & Hucks

Both share at present the ability to get supporters of their seats once they get the ball.

The question is, can Redmond one day be up there like Hucks in terms of

being one of our best buys, and one of our best players.

Clearly Hucks was much better, as he was older and more experienced when he joined us. But when Redmond get to learn! as he will! to deliver that final killer ball could he one day be as good. Will he live up to his undoubted potential ?

Love to see what others think!

I think you may be right, with the exception that if/when he gets as good as Hucks he wont be playing for us

Do all other clubs have to compare new players with players of the past? I think they do to be fair. I just find it unfair in a way. I just want the new players to carve a new legacy if you know what I mean.

[quote user="Buh"]Do all other clubs have to compare new players with players of the past? I think they do to be fair. I just find it unfair in a way. I just want the new players to carve a new legacy if you know what I mean.[/quote]

Difference is Hucks looked up before putting his boot through the ball, Redmond needs to learn that their are another 9 yellow shirts on the park if he had done so on Saturday we may well have won more convincingly,

[quote user="Buh"]Do all other clubs have to compare new players with players of the past? I think they do to be fair. I just find it unfair in a way. I just want the new players to carve a new legacy if you know what I mean.[/quote]

It''s they way things are. A player becomes a star or a legend and the next generation are compared to them. That player then hopefully becomes  a star or legend in their own right and the next generation are compared to him.

Hopefully one day we will have a youngstr or two who will be the next Redmond or Murphy.

Davo

[quote user="Davo"]

It''s they way things are. A player becomes a star or a legend and the next generation are compared to them. That player then hopefully becomes  a star or legend in their own right and the next generation are compared to him.

Hopefully one day we will have a youngstr or two who will be the next Redmond or Murphy.

Davo

[/quote]

It is definitely the way all clubs are. I remember manure having numerous so called new George Bests until Highs came along

[quote user="Ken"] can Redmond one day be up there like Hucks [/quote]i hope not, he should be better, huckerby is way over rated by people on here, his best period as a player was at coventry as a striker alongside dublin

Not many were watching Coventry at the time stan.

He wasn''t overrated at all and was pivotal to us going up and nearly staying up.

If anything Hucks was massively underrated and should have got England caps down that left hand side.

Various completely average left sided players got England caps during his time.... Steve Guppy for goodness sake.

Redmond has a lot of potential but isn''t converting his possession into either chances or goals.... same cannot be said for Huckerby when he was playing for us at this level.... scored 7 I think and created most of Ashton''s goals.

In truth, Huckerby was brilliant for us but he also suffered with his decision making.

That isn''t a criticism really because had he not had that minor weakness in his game he''d have probably won 50+ caps for England and would never have worn the yellow and green, so I''m thankful for it.

But, like Redmond, he''d often shoot when we could have laid on a clear opportunity and cross when we were screaming (not out loud...) for him to have a dig.

Hucks of course still scored goals regularly, I think 14 in the promotion season and 7 in the prem season, Redmond is not at that level of return yet but has about 10 years on the Hucks that was with us.

Hucks was a very special part of the Norwich City story, if we keep hold of Redmond, I think he will be too.

Of course there is but you can''t say that one player is better than the other by assuming that they will drastically improve with age.

It doesn''t always work like that, in fact it often doesn''t. We paid £2m - £3m for him because he has potential, if it were clear cut he would have gone for much more. For every Gareth Bale there is a Francis Jeffers.

And Huckerby was Redmond''s age when he signed for Coventry for £1m (a lot of money then).

So if you want to compare a 19/20 year old Redmond with a 19/20 year old Huckerby..... then well.....

Not like Huckerby was an unknown at 19/20, he was already on his way to stardom just like Redmond.

The whole of football saw our signing of Huckerby as a major coup and wherever a Norwich fan would go people would say "how have you still got Huckerby?", the man was a top class player and globally famous - that''s a big part of why he has the legend status that he has, the fact that for years we had a player who was simply way too good for us.

I doubt Redmond will ever be as physically strong as Hucks. In his prime he could power his way through as much as dribble.

Does anyone ever remember seeing him head the ball though?

I can remember Hucks scoring a goal with his head and the whole of Carrow Road being left in shock at what they had just witnessed.

Although can''t say I can remember Redmond sticking his head out either.

Come on, he is 19, do you chaps know any 19 year olds they are still kids.

Ron with all due respect you have no idea how Redmond will develop in terms of his strength, he is still a lad really.

He has huge potential and still has a few more years during which his basic skills and strength will develop. It''s all about his motivation and willingness to learn and practice. he seems to say all the right things and I hope he is genuine in that.

When I first saw him! pretty season friendly I think! he did the get me excited when he had the ball and my thoughts went to Hucks.

Who knows what will happen but he does have time on his side.

Vanwink, just going on his build & style of play really.

Hucks played like a jet propelled version of Psycho sometimes! Certainly one of the strongest quick men I''ve ever seen.

ron obvious wrote the following post at 09/12/2013 9:07 PM:

Vanwink, just going on his build & style of play really.

Hucks played like a jet propelled version of Psycho sometimes! Certainly one of the strongest quick men I''ve ever seen.

I think he was more direct than Redmond, They both have good balance, and can both terrify a defence.

Maybe Hucks relied a bit more on his pace to get past a man whereas Redmond I think has quicker feet! we will see.

Redmond could prove to be a more complete player than Hucks.  Redmond is more two footed and will contribute more to defence than Hucks probably ever did, but then that is more necessary these days in a player.   Hucks though was just sometimes an unstoppable force, scoring goals similar to Henri at Arsenal at the time -  simply stunning goals (never got the same credit as Henri though). 

Huckerby has nothing to prove to anyone any more, he''s left it all on the pitch and Redmond has a lot to do before he can be considered as good as Hucks. But, the potential is there.......

[quote user="ron obvious"]

Does anyone ever remember seeing him head the ball though?[/quote]

best jumping rechnique I have ever seen for heading - hux jumped got his feet and knees in the air but seemed to keep his head at the same height!

This isn''t a criticism of Hucks but Redmond will go on to be twice the player of Hucks.

and that''s a huge compliment to both of them i think!

Hope Redmond moves on in 2.5 years means we will get top dollar, can''t see him signing contract extension in 3 years time unless his form deserts him which will not be good news.

Hucks was great in our promotion year, but his pace was matched by the defences in the Prem. I seem to remember him being through on the goalkeeper away at Spurs and a defender (Ledley King?) came out of nowhere and tackled him.

I agree that Redmond is the first player since Hucks to generate the same excitement and anticipation whenever he gets the ball.

Redmond has the time and opportunity to develop into a better player than Hucks, but time will tell.

For physicality on the wing who could match Trevor Hockey? I was on my feet every time he got the ball - along with everyone else not in the main stand.

[quote user="Trevor Hockeys Beard"]Hucks was great in our promotion year, but his pace was matched by the defences in the Prem. I seem to remember him being through on the goalkeeper away at Spurs and a defender (Ledley King?) came out of nowhere and tackled him. [/quote]

Actually a lot of Prem sides were just smarter at doubling up the marking on him because they were so worried about his pace.

Though obviously there were defenders, like King, who could combine pace with a massive stride to eat up the ground and recover situations like that.

Ledley King was by far the best English defender of his generation.... better than Ferdinand and Terry, so if anybody would be able to nullify a dangerous attacking player it would be him.