Hey guys and gals. A while back before the stand was built the club stated that if city were to establish themselves in the prem then a 2nd tier would be added on top of the Jarrold stand. Now, i''ve been pondering over this for some time and i can''t get my head around how they would do it. Looking at the roof on top of it, it would be impossible to build a second tier on it due to the fact that the roof slants upwards, meaning that it wouldn''t be possible to see the pitch from up there. Therefore i was wondering whether anyone knows how they plan to do this?? Will they remove the roof and extend the jarrold stand further back or will they lower the roof so that it is possible and ideal for a second tier to be built????

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this will work???

Although I''m not 100% how it''ll work (I presume they will just take the roof off and add another tier) it won''t happen for many many years yet.  The next piece of ground extension will be a second tier on the City stand.  This would cost about £10mil and I can''t see that happening for a few years.  It''ll be quite a few years of sky cash before a second tier goes on the Jarrold Stand

from what i have seen and read the next stand to go up will be the city stand

stepping back into carrow road it needs doing it looks like a div 3 stand out of date

then a stepback ontop of the jarrow it will be a hell of a ground

and much then hold around 40.000 sooner the better

fill the corner in with seats also or maybe a big screen with hotel behind

soothing as it sticks out like a sore thumb at present

They''d remove the roof, slap the front of the new tier on top of the boxes and go from there. Then put a new roof on top of the second tier.

I believe that before they do anything with the new stand, they''d put a second tier on the city stand.

This would mean removing the roof, and expanding the stand backwards into the road behind.

Would be good to see them expand the snakepit and other corner stand at the same time...

the city stand is being done first. But this is going to cost 10million, so i cant see the 2nd tier on the jarrold stand going up for a while anyway.

Like you have all said, they will probably remove the roof and put it ontop. They would hvae to extend the bottom bit surely?

I''ve heard that they are going to put another tier on the city stand if we stay up, leaving Carrow Road underneath. That would be cool, and look really professional as the players roll up under the Stand in their coach, like Millenium Stadium in Cardiff and Ajax... should take the capacity up to 30''000 me thinks.

I''m am almost 100% sure, because I overheard a builder talking about the Jarrold (it is where my season ticket seat is).

The Jarrold Stand can not have an extra teir added to it, due to the way that the cantilevers hold the stand up.  If they wanted to add a second teir they would have to remove the whole roof, and the cantilevers, and replace them with new ones.

The City Stand is next up, but Neil D said that it would happen after we ''consolidated our premiership status'' so I would expect it to go up the season after next if we are still there.

Don''t forget the corner between the Barclay and Jarrold, which is being done next, as the club have already sold part of the stand to a hotel company.

[quote]I''ve heard that they are going to put another tier on the city stand if we stay up, leaving Carrow Road underneath. That would be cool, and look really professional as the players roll up under the St...[/quote]

This is what I want (and about the only option unless the upper tier overlaps). A covered Carrow Road would be absolutely awesome and look like some of the really big stadia. Only problem I can see is that the corners would stick out loads and displace the areas behind the stands where everyone meets.
Inside, what would happen to the indoor glassed area behind the director''s box? Any seats above would have a restricted view of the near touchline.

The atmosphere with another 6000 seats that would almost certainly be filled would be amazing. When we stay up this year I''m sure the board will start making serious plans for this...

[quote]I thought Doncaster stated not too long ago - If we stay up the a second tier will be added to the new stand.[/quote]

What he actually said was that we''d need to stay up several seasons and be reasonably established (like Charlton, or even B''ham) before there''ll be a 2nd tier.

[quote]I think you''re confused with the City Stand![/quote]

No i wasn''t getting confused at all. I know that they plan on doing the city stand first but i was just curious about how development of the jarrold stand would work.

id love to see further expansion to the stadium at carrow rd, but can the club afford it? by my crude calculations(£24 per seat x 6,000 people x 19 games a season)it would take the better part of 4 sell-out seasons to recoup the £10 million construction costs. obviously, if you dont sell-out it''s going to take longer. im talking in terms of the stand paying for itself here, although premiership survival would bring in a fair amount of additional revenue anyway. having said all that, im sure the financial whiz-kids at carrow rd know what they''re doing and wouldnt make any rash decisions, so i''ll leave it in their capable hands. one thing''s for certain, we wouldnt have any problem currently filling 30,000 plus seats. long may it continue.

Feeled compelled to right for the first time in ages.

NCFC Star''s comments are the truest on this subject.

A second tier to the City stand is the only future option on the table and would still be some way off even with 2 more seasons in the Premiership.

The Jarrold stand is not designed or built for a second tier. The club rejected the 2 tier 12,000 seat option or the part built 6000 seat option.

The future hotel infill if it happens is unlikely to have any seats.

This talk seems to get carried away. A near 26,000 capacity is as much as its been for 20 years and you only have to go back 4 or 5 seasons when we struggled to get 15,000.

As talked about at the AGM, it makes far more sense to consolidate (if possible) first.

My take on the situation is this. I think IF we stay up and at the moment it''s still a big if then the club will start drawing up plans for a second tier on the city stand next season. The work would then commence the season after next if we manage to stay up again. I think with the current numbers and predicted numbers we could have at carrow road, the figure mentioned by the ticket office seem to suggest we could be selling out 35k eack week easily, then expansion definately needs to take place sooner rather than later. I also think it would be foolish for the club to delay. I''m sure some people will start getting frustrated with the lack of tickets due to sell outs each week and could also start losing interest in the football club.

As for how it''ll be done. Well again this is speculation on my part but IMO don''t be surprised to see both the roofs of the barclay end and the river end come off and new cantilever roofs put on. By the sounds of it and from what i''ve read with modern techonology this isn''t as hard as it use to be to do. They would have to do this IMO because the roofs both sloop down to much and the amount of seats you can fit into the corner would be severely limited. Even more annoying are the floodlight poles which will interfere with quite a few people''s views. Again though all this does take money and i''m sure most will agree team strengthening is the most important thing for the time being!

[quote]Feeled compelled to right for the first time in ages. NCFC Star''s comments are the truest on this subject. A second tier to the City stand is the only future option on the table and would still be ...[/quote]

I''m not sure that''s entirely correct. I know nothing about the plans for the City stand (and I don''t deny that it may well be the next stand to be added to), but I am aware that the Jarrold stand was designed with the capacity to be expanded to a second tier - as most new stands built in this country are - but it would obviously be a major undertaking to rework the roof.
(I looked into this with interest when the original plans were announced as I was training as an architect at the time)

The City Stand has the foundations for a further tier to be added. I remember the pitch was moved closer to the Jarrold stand so as to allow spectators to see the whole pitch in the advent of the City Stand having another deck.....That is it in a nutshell, and I Thankyou. ;~)