Sign in to follow this  
SeattleCanary

RVW or Hooper?

As it could be unlikely to see us start with 2 up front on Sunday, what is everyone''s thoughts on who should start if RVW is fit?

I''d personally rather Hooper as he is on form and maybe bring RVW on for the last 20 minutes to bring him back up to speed. Not sure if we could afford a 442 against Swansea even if they were both fully match fit.

Thoughts on who you rate higher, and is your preferred 1st choice?

Surely even Hughton couldn''t drop a man finally finding his form and starting to score goals. Has to be Hooper for me, I have seen nothing in his appearances before his injury to suggest that even a fully fit RVW is better than Hoops.

RVW a better player, but wouldn''t drop Hooper yet and would throw Ricky straight into it after a long lay off

Against Swansea? The one team that focus more on dominating the midfield and keeping possession than any other at our level? Because we wouldn''t see the ball!

Dropping an on fire, and on form Hooper atm would be criminal imo.

Plus.....what kind of message would that send to Hoops?

Oh I agree Wiz. I wouldn''t drop him, but it seemed over time on here there may have been some who''d still want RVW in simply because of his price tag. I actually think that Hooper will be the bigger striker for us this season, and remember saying that on here a few months ago.
I think against swansea as someone else said we need to not surrender the midfield, and going with a 442 we would surely be doing just that, playing into their hands for their passing game.

Based on what we''ve seen of them so far this season it looks like RVW works harder and has got a bit more in his locker.

However, there''s no doubt that Hooper can score goals if he gets the chances. He''s also shown he''s got a few clever touches too.

Clearly it wouldn''t be right to drop Hooper at the moment but the sooner RVW is fit enough to replace Elmander the better.

[quote user="GJP"]

Based on what we''ve seen of them so far this season it looks like RVW works harder and has got a bit more in his locker.

However, there''s no doubt that Hooper can score goals if he gets the chances. He''s also shown he''s got a few clever touches too.

Clearly it wouldn''t be right to drop Hooper at the moment but the sooner RVW is fit enough to replace Elmander the better.

[/quote]
As much as I''m not an Elmander fan, he is very different to RVW is he not? I thought Elmander was about holding the ball up, winning flick ons, roughing the defence? RVW is a bit lightweight in comparison isn''t he?

[quote user="splutcho"]Against Swansea? The one team that focus more on dominating the midfield and keeping possession than any other at our level? Because we wouldn''t see the ball![/quote]

I''d play both and wish Swansea luck trying to flicka flack it around while we launch one attack and score from it.

Not really that different, no.

RVW works very hard running across the frontline in order to offer an outlet for his colleagues, to create space and to drag defenders around.

Elmander doesn''t cause defenders any more problems than RVW has (probably less).

[quote user="GJP"]

Not really that different, no.

RVW works very hard running across the frontline in order to offer an outlet for his colleagues, to create space and to drag defenders around.

Elmander doesn''t cause defenders any more problems than RVW has (probably less).

[/quote]
Oh ok. I thought RVW was supposed to be a poacher like Hoops. If we did use him in this role though, I think it could be forgiven then if Hooper outscores him this season. No matter if his price tag was bigger.

I strongly doubt RVW will start, either with or in place of Hoops. He''s coming back from injury. Sensible thing would be to bring him on for half an hr at the end.

As for who''s better - both have good qualities. Both have surprised me by being more than just predatory finishers. Ricky worked his socks off, and both he and Hoops have shown good link up play and good touches. Both been unlucky to get injuries.

I think the two of them could work well together as long as we don''t hoof it up there. If we concentrate on through balls and lots of crosses for them to attack, they could link up well with Howson and Fer.

Personally I would start with Hoops & Elmander/Becchio. Elmander is improving and is the only forward we have with real physical presence. Which we know from experience Swansea don''t like!

Just wish Tettey was back already.

While Hoops finish was excellent on Sat his overall play and movement is still lacking for me,  and for me not up to the standard that RvW was showing.  Once fit its RvW every time at the mo. 

However I think Hoops has now scored in 4 games,  and we have won each of them so he deserves to start on Sunday while RvW continues to regain fitness (A 20-25 run out to support that would be perfect)

We can''t drop Hooper at the moment.

If RvW is fully recovered for the next game, bring him on as well late on - to chase the game. If we happen to be in front, then in place of Hooper for the last 10 minutes.

Christmas is coming with games thick and fast. We need them both fit, so don''t rush RvW''s return.

[quote user="birchfest"]I''d play Hooper up front with Wes just behind, RVW to come on at 70 minutes depending on how it''s going.[/quote]

Totally agree with that for two reasons - Hoolahan always seems to play well against Swansea and also because of how telepathic the play appears to between himself and Hoops. RvW to come on as sub.

I agree with many of the above. Hoops is on form and RvW should probably be eased back in. I would be most surprised to see the former dropped in favour of a start from the latter.