Sign in to follow this  
ncfcstar

New Contract for Bassong

Make no mistake Seb is a class act. This is a great piece of business by the club. Now we have to continue to motive him. In my opinion one of the best centre backs we have ever had. Remember the 10 game run? SB was hugely instrumental in this. Has he been fit this year? I don''t think so . Do the other centre halves look better playing alongside him? Certainly.

My kind of player. Great News.  

Pleased with this.

Hopefully now back on track after a disrupted pre season and shaky start.

What baffles me though, are contracts. He only signed last year but guessing now he''s captain, player of the yr and we survived that is irrelevant.

Another cb, cm and left winger for me in jan

Contract situation is baffling at times CUSDP. I guess the new tv deal means the new signings negotiated bigger contracts so other squad members want some of that action. The spiral will continue for some time yet. More tv money which will mean players want more money. So even if the deal was worth a billion ticket prices would still increase because there''d be nothing left after the players had been paid. All those millions and we can''t afford a new stand....

Nutty, of course you''re correct with respect to why other squad members want "some of that action". however, it''s understandable why football clubs are so intent on spending to maintain Premiership status rather than invest in increasing ground expansion. Economically, it''s a no-brainer. Disappointing, in some ways I agree but, as the old saying suggests, it is what it is.

I''d be the first one banging the keyboard if we built the stand at the expense of the team Yankee. We have to do whatever we can do to stay in the PL. I have no doubts that the board also subscribe to that view. It''s the craziness of it though. If Sky pay more then that money goes to the players. Everyone says it will stop but it never does....

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Nutty, of course you''re correct with respect to why other squad members want "some of that action". however, it''s understandable why football clubs are so intent on spending to maintain Premiership status rather than invest in increasing ground expansion. Economically, it''s a no-brainer. Disappointing, in some ways I agree but, as the old saying suggests, it is what it is.
[/quote]

Tell you what guys, just when we all thought that Sky TV had peaked, along came BT and I wonder what the next TV deal will be? And as you both say, it will mostly end up in the players pockets.  Can you imagine NCFC paying £100k per week as standard? A few years back we would have thought £40k a week was cloud cuckoo land....

I have no problem at all with the club extending the contracts of our best players. Ruddy and Bassong so far, we would never have any trouble finding those players a new home if the worst happened.

About time we got Pilkington tied down on a deal though.

One day the bubble will burst Graham Paddon and we will look back and wonder why football was so stupid. Football as a whole in this country is not being run as a business, there is no central cash reserve.

10% of all TV revenue per annum should be going into a FA fund to pre-empt the burst of the bubble, and that should have started 15 years ago. One day it will burst, one day some famous clubs in this country will go to the wall. When you get to the top the only way is down.

Look at Scottish football, huge problems. We should learn from it.

That is great news as he''s a class act. Just lacked a bit of consistency this season, but now he''s fit again I''m sure he''ll justify his new contract.

However it makes me wonder what the future is for Turner. He only signed a two year contract which means he''ll be a free in the summer? So I wouldn''t be surprised if he he signs a 1 year extension soon, or we look for a class CB in January knowing that Bennett is still young and can do a good job there too.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"] knowing that Bennett is still young and can do a good job there too.[/quote]

This applies to players in general but seeing as you mention him, when does Bennett stop being "young"?

He''ll be 24 March.

Bassong was Newcastle''s POTS when he was 22.

but... but.. Hughton has lost the dressing room!!! why would they all be showing they want to play for him and signing new contracts whilst he is manager?

Lambert in!!!

I see this as excellent Man Management - no need to extend Bassong''s contract now, but doing so gives our Captain just the boost he needs. Lets see how he responds! Its a good tactic by CH.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

but... but.. Hughton has lost the dressing room!!! why would they all be showing they want to play for him and signing new contracts whilst he is manager?

Lambert in!!!

[/quote]

errr, I think you will find that they play for the club - the clue will be what''s written in their contractlikewise when Hughton leaves the players will stayother wise you do need to stop advancing these bizarre conspiracy theories of yours ..... ones that have the players, the manager, Radio Norfolk and the BBC all conspiring in some farcical deception

ps I shouldn''t doubt that you will be telling us next that the moon landings did not happen and it was all filmed in some chalk pit somewhere

knowing that Bennett is still young and can do a good job there too.

This applies to players in general but seeing as you mention him, when does Bennett stop being "young"?

He''ll be 24 March.

Bassong was Newcastle''s POTS when he was 22.

GJP - well RVW is 24 and considered to have lots of potential and players are meant t hit their peak around the age of 26/27. It just goes to show how well Redmond and Murphy are doing.