Sign in to follow this  
TwoSheds

I just cant see us escaping!

[quote user="Herman "]Les Dennis has a larger comedy repertoire than Waveney.[/quote]

Waveney and some of his predecessors (mungo for one) are just alter-egos of another well known, high post count, well respected, poster who does it "for a laugh".   Funny it is not.  It sucks people in to get a reaction and presumably boosts the ego of that "well respected poster" that they have managed to get that reaction.    Its not funny, its not even pathetic, its just sad.

[quote user="Buh"]EVERYBODY WORRY! STRAIGHT AWAY![/quote]Hang on a tick, Buh.On another thread you and some of the other suspects accuse me  of  being disloyal and not really having the best interests of the club at heart, blah blah blah.Now you are taking the p!ss that I , and others, that if our survival hopes hang on the last four games, have cause to be rather concerned.So, which is it to be...are we non-carers, or so careful that we''re paranoid ?  You cannot have it both ways.

Of course in principle you are correct...we may have absolutely nothing to worry about. We may indeed win all our games in Feb and March , so  by Apr 19th we''ll be mathematically safe, and if Liverpool, ManYoo , Chelsea and Arsenal all give us a good tonking, it simply will not matter.

We will be long odds to win any of those last four games. We would be just as long odds if one was in January, one in February, one in March and one in April. Why does it make any difference when they''re played? Is it more likely we''d win them if they weren''t the last four[:^)]

I''ve read some tripe on here....

(much of it from the same posters)

The thing is Nutty, we all know what a "good run of games" can do for confidence and ability. We all talk about it all the time how "we need to put a good run together" and how confident you feel having been "unbeaten in X games" (X is an amount, not the Extreme Games).

We have not won or even been unbeaten in two league games on the bounce so far this season. When we''ve needed a reaction and to bounce back, we have played West Ham, Crystal Palace, and West Brom. These are all good games to get a win and breed confidence again.

Are you honestly saying that you hold no significance whatsoever in the psychological impact of possibly being beaten by Liverpool, and having to bounce back away to Manure. Being beaten away to Manure, and having to bounce back away to Chelsea. Being beaten away to Chelsea and having to bounce back at home to Arsenal.

I fully appreciate that it is of course no dead on cert that we will lose all four of these games, but I do absolutely believe that we need to be safe before this run of four games.

Not pant wetting, just trying to reduce the risk factor.

Well surely the opposite is also true Howson. The four games before that little group are all winnable so you could just as easily argue that our confidence will be high at that point.

If we were to play 4 top teams consecutively, with the knock to confidence that would come from 4 probable defeats and then go into 4 games against winnable opposition then that would be a bigger problem as far as I''m concerned.

[quote user="Howson is now"]The thing is Nutty, we all know what a "good run of games" can do for confidence and ability. We all talk about it all the time how "we need to put a good run together" and how confident you feel having been "unbeaten in X games" (X is an amount, not the Extreme Games).

We have not won or even been unbeaten in two league games on the bounce so far this season. When we''ve needed a reaction and to bounce back, we have played West Ham, Crystal Palace, and West Brom. These are all good games to get a win and breed confidence again.

Are you honestly saying that you hold no significance whatsoever in the psychological impact of possibly being beaten by Liverpool, and having to bounce back away to Manure. Being beaten away to Manure, and having to bounce back away to Chelsea. Being beaten away to Chelsea and having to bounce back at home to Arsenal.

I fully appreciate that it is of course no dead on cert that we will lose all four of these games, but I do absolutely believe that we need to be safe before this run of four games.

Not pant wetting, just trying to reduce the risk factor.[/quote]

Well if we lose all four of them our confidence won''t be affected for ther next games because there aren''t any! So what''s the difference between playing them in Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr or all at the end of the season? If losing them affects confidence for other games then surely it''s better they''re all right at the end?

I must be missing something here...

That is of course true. I just don''t think it should just be dismissed as tripe is all. People keep saying that you have to play all of the teams twice in a season so what difference does it make when you play them. I think you and I are in absolute agreement that it can actually make quite a big difference when you play them.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Howson is now"]The thing is Nutty, we all know what a "good run of games" can do for confidence and ability. We all talk about it all the time how "we need to put a good run together" and how confident you feel having been "unbeaten in X games" (X is an amount, not the Extreme Games).

Not pant wetting, just trying to reduce the risk factor.[/quote]

Well if we lose all four of them our confidence won''t be affected for ther next games because there aren''t any! So what''s the difference between playing them in Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr or all at the end of the season? If losing them affects confidence for other games then surely it''s better they''re all right at the end?

I must be missing something here...

[/quote]

I mean in terms of if we went into the last four games of the season needing 4 points, would you rather play the four best teams in the league in a row, or would you rather it was great team poor team, great team, poor team?

Which do you think would have the likelihood (we all know there''s no certainties in football) of a better outcome?

Man Utd. will be on the beach, most of their first team will be rested for their impending FA Cup final, the rest will be scared of getting injured and missing the world cup in Brazil.

Chelsea will be resting players before they play in the Champions League final.

Arsenal will be celebrating winning the Premier League the week before and not wanting to get injured before the players go to the world cup.

We''ll probably get 9 points from the three games which will put us 10th in the table.

[quote user="TwoSheds"]Looking at the League Table and the fixtures i''m really struggling to see us avoid relegation. I am basing it on the last 4 games of the season being no brainers and zero points and personally think we will get about 22 points from our remaining fixtures giving us a total of 39 points. Will that be enough? I hope so! Either way its going to be a nail biting finish.

Yes I know all the other teams have got to play the big boys again, but not the last 4 games in a row. Its a daunting thought....[/quote]Cor blimey TwoSheds, if I remember correctly you left this board yonks ago because it depressed you. Your long break doesn''t seem to have helped much. [:(]

If we go into the last games of the season needing four points we''re in trouble. Buit that''s no different to not getting enough points from the other games if these four were spaced out is it? If we think we''ll get nothing from those games it will make no difference to our points total when they''re played. Will it?

And if all else fails I''m reliably informed big teams are on the beach by the last game of the season....

LOL.. me either!

But all I''m trying to say is nil points is nil points whenever these games are played. And whenevr they''re played if we don''t get to 40 points from the other games we''re likely to need something from these.

yep the psychological impact of being smashed by man city was..... to beat west ham, the psychological impact of getting pummeled by Liverpool was..... a win away to west brom. I''m not saying I see us getting many points from the last 4, however I think we will be safe by then regardless.If we are going to speculate wildly about psychology and the nature of a premiership dressing room environment, something that no one here knows much about can I have a go? OK it is very likely that one or a number of these teams will be preparing for an FA Cup semi-final, FA Cup final, Champions League semi-final and Champions League Final, depending on the club this will dominate their thoughts. Lets face it the league will be our main focus, it is an opportunity to catch them not 100% committed to the game and get some points, I would rather play these clubs than clubs that desperately need the points to survive.Secondly, with so many of these club''s players going to the world cup as well as playing in said club cup finals will they want to exert themselves too much against us? maybe subconsciously but possibly not... with memories of broken toes for Beckham and Rooney in the build up for these tournaments will that 50/50 with Bradley look like a good idea?Lets face it we don''t know so I would rather look forward to the games coming up and not wet myself about playing the better teams in 5 months time.

[quote user="flying high up in the sky"]If we win the last last 4 games is it the beach or player power?[/quote]beach definitely but a beach in Brazil getting ready for the world cup

[quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="flying high up in the sky"]If we win the last last 4 games is it the beach or player power?[/quote]beach definitely but a beach in Brazil getting ready for the world cup[/quote]

Our "easier" games should yield us the points we need and enable us to go into those last four games with more freedom.    If so and we get points from these games, it could make the difference between say, 11th/12th place (our average position over the last two seasons) and 7th or 8th.    Even if we need a point or two, there is no reason why we couldn''t get them in the last four games, we simply need to show the character we showed against West Brom at CR last season.       

[quote user="hertfordyellow"]OK it is very likely that one or a number of these teams will be preparing for an FA Cup semi-final, FA Cup final, Champions League semi-final and Champions League Final, depending on the club this will dominate their thoughts. Lets face it the league will be our main focus, it is an opportunity to catch them not 100% committed to the game and get some points, [/quote]Well let''s just hope we don''t make the FA Cup Semi''s or we''ll be right in the s*it..........[:D]

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="flying high up in the sky"]If we win the last last 4 games is it the beach or player power?[/quote]beach definitely but a beach in Brazil getting ready for the world cup[/quote]

Our "easier" games should yield us the points we need and enable us to go into those last four games with more freedom.    If so and we get points from these games, it could make the difference between say, 11th/12th place (our average position over the last two seasons) and 7th or 8th.    Even if we need a point or two, there is no reason why we couldn''t get them in the last four games, we simply need to show the character we showed against West Brom at CR last season.       

[/quote]Ah see I agree with you  to an extent but you are being seriously optimistic (kind word for unrealistic) about where those extra points will take us, I would say we are looking at 14th with the extra points taking us possibly to 10th/11th (like last season)

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="hertfordyellow"]OK it is very likely that one or a number of these teams will be preparing for an FA Cup semi-final, FA Cup final, Champions League semi-final and Champions League Final, depending on the club this will dominate their thoughts. Lets face it the league will be our main focus, it is an opportunity to catch them not 100% committed to the game and get some points, [/quote]Well let''s just hope we don''t make the FA Cup Semi''s or we''ll be right in the s*it..........[:D]

[/quote]The players will seriously need to rebel  to get us that far :)

[quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="flying high up in the sky"]If we win the last last 4 games is it the beach or player power?[/quote]beach definitely but a beach in Brazil getting ready for the world cup[/quote]Our "easier" games should yield us the points we need and enable us to go into those last four games with more freedom.    If so and we get points from these games, it could make the difference between say, 11th/12th place (our average position over the last two seasons) and 7th or 8th.    Even if we need a point or two, there is no reason why we couldn''t get them in the last four games, we simply need to show the character we showed against West Brom at CR last season. [/quote]Ah see I agree with you  to an extent but you are being seriously optimistic (kind word for unrealistic) about where those extra points will take us, I would say we are looking at 14th with the extra points taking us possibly to 10th/11th (like last season)[/quote]

"Optimistic, kind word for unrealistic" - You''re being a tad harsh here.   We finished 11th last season.  We finished 12th the previous season.  Around the same this season, while not a foregone conclusion, wouldn''t be a surprise.   There was not a lot of difference between 8th place and 11th last season (5 points) so why would it be unrealistic to think that if we are safe by the last four games, with a few unexpected points from those last four games we couldn''t reach up to 8th?   

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="flying high up in the sky"]If we win the last last 4 games is it the beach or player power?[/quote]beach definitely but a beach in Brazil getting ready for the world cup[/quote]Our "easier" games should yield us the points we need and enable us to go into those last four games with more freedom.    If so and we get points from these games, it could make the difference between say, 11th/12th place (our average position over the last two seasons) and 7th or 8th.    Even if we need a point or two, there is no reason why we couldn''t get them in the last four games, we simply need to show the character we showed against West Brom at CR last season. [/quote]Ah see I agree with you  to an extent but you are being seriously optimistic (kind word for unrealistic) about where those extra points will take us, I would say we are looking at 14th with the extra points taking us possibly to 10th/11th (like last season)[/quote]

"Optimistic, kind word for unrealistic" - You''re being a tad harsh here.   We finished 11th last season.  We finished 12th the previous season.  Around the same this season, while not a foregone conclusion, wouldn''t be a surprise.   There was not a lot of difference between 8th place and 11th last season (5 points) so why would it be unrealistic to think that if we are safe by the last four games, with a few unexpected points from those last four games we couldn''t reach up to 8th?     [/quote]By my reckoning 8th would put us above two of Southampton, Spurs, Manchester United and Newcastle can you honestly see that happening? That''s also discounting Swansea and West Brom not getting back to what they should be... sticking with unrealistic sorry

[quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="flying high up in the sky"]If we win the last last 4 games is it the beach or player power?[/quote]beach definitely but a beach in Brazil getting ready for the world cup [/quote]Our "easier" games should yield us the points we need and enable us to go into those last four games with more freedom.    If so and we get points from these games, it could make the difference between say, 11th/12th place (our average position over the last two seasons) and 7th or 8th.    Even if we need a point or two, there is no reason why we couldn''t get them in the last four games, we simply need to show the character we showed against West Brom at CR last season. [/quote]Ah see I agree with you  to an extent but you are being seriously optimistic (kind word for unrealistic) about where those extra points will take us, I would say we are looking at 14th with the extra points taking us possibly to 10th/11th (like last season)[/quote]"Optimistic, kind word for unrealistic" - You''re being a tad harsh here.   We finished 11th last season.  We finished 12th the previous season.  Around the same this season, while not a foregone conclusion, wouldn''t be a surprise.   There was not a lot of difference between 8th place and 11th last season (5 points) so why would it be unrealistic to think that if we are safe by the last four games, with a few unexpected points from those last four games we couldn''t reach up to 8th?     [/quote]By my reckoning 8th would put us above two of Southampton, Spurs, Manchester United and Newcastle can you honestly see that happening? That''s also discounting Swansea and West Brom not getting back to what they should be... sticking with unrealistic sorry  [/quote]

I always try to see what is possible, ask the question if it is attainable - and if the answer is yes, then I will think it can be done.  If that''s unrealistic,   then yes, I''m unrealistic - but imo its more to do with believing it is possible than believing it is not possible.

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="flying high up in the sky"]If we win the last last 4 games is it the beach or player power?[/quote]beach definitely but a beach in Brazil getting ready for the world cup [/quote]Our "easier" games should yield us the points we need and enable us to go into those last four games with more freedom.    If so and we get points from these games, it could make the difference between say, 11th/12th place (our average position over the last two seasons) and 7th or 8th.    Even if we need a point or two, there is no reason why we couldn''t get them in the last four games, we simply need to show the character we showed against West Brom at CR last season. [/quote]Ah see I agree with you  to an extent but you are being seriously optimistic (kind word for unrealistic) about where those extra points will take us, I would say we are looking at 14th with the extra points taking us possibly to 10th/11th (like last season)[/quote]"Optimistic, kind word for unrealistic" - You''re being a tad harsh here.   We finished 11th last season.  We finished 12th the previous season.  Around the same this season, while not a foregone conclusion, wouldn''t be a surprise.   There was not a lot of difference between 8th place and 11th last season (5 points) so why would it be unrealistic to think that if we are safe by the last four games, with a few unexpected points from those last four games we couldn''t reach up to 8th?     [/quote]By my reckoning 8th would put us above two of Southampton, Spurs, Manchester United and Newcastle can you honestly see that happening? That''s also discounting Swansea and West Brom not getting back to what they should be... sticking with unrealistic sorry  [/quote]

I always try to see what is possible, ask the question if it is attainable - and if the answer is yes, then I will think it can be done.  If that''s unrealistic,   then yes, I''m unrealistic - but imo its more to do with believing it is possible than believing it is not possible.

[/quote]Fair enough LDC, I haven''t seen anything this season from us that leads me to think anyone would seriously put us in with a shout of Europe but you do.It''s much better than being dourly pessimistic for sure. If we achieve 8th position I will donate £50 to a charity of your choice, how about that?

[quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="hertfordyellow"][quote user="flying high up in the sky"]If we win the last last 4 games is it the beach or player power?[/quote]beach definitely but a beach in Brazil getting ready for the world cup [/quote]Our "easier" games should yield us the points we need and enable us to go into those last four games with more freedom.    If so and we get points from these games, it could make the difference between say, 11th/12th place (our average position over the last two seasons) and 7th or 8th.    Even if we need a point or two, there is no reason why we couldn''t get them in the last four games, we simply need to show the character we showed against West Brom at CR last season. [/quote]Ah see I agree with you  to an extent but you are being seriously optimistic (kind word for unrealistic) about where those extra points will take us, I would say we are looking at 14th with the extra points taking us possibly to 10th/11th (like last season)[/quote]"Optimistic, kind word for unrealistic" - You''re being a tad harsh here.   We finished 11th last season.  We finished 12th the previous season.  Around the same this season, while not a foregone conclusion, wouldn''t be a surprise.   There was not a lot of difference between 8th place and 11th last season (5 points) so why would it be unrealistic to think that if we are safe by the last four games, with a few unexpected points from those last four games we couldn''t reach up to 8th?     [/quote]By my reckoning 8th would put us above two of Southampton, Spurs, Manchester United and Newcastle can you honestly see that happening? That''s also discounting Swansea and West Brom not getting back to what they should be... sticking with unrealistic sorry  [/quote]I always try to see what is possible, ask the question if it is attainable - and if the answer is yes, then I will think it can be done.  If that''s unrealistic,   then yes, I''m unrealistic - but imo its more to do with believing it is possible than believing it is not possible.[/quote]Fair enough LDC, I haven''t seen anything this season from us that leads me to think anyone would seriously put us in with a shout of Europe but you do.It''s much better than being dourly pessimistic for sure. If we achieve 8th position I will donate £50 to a charity of your choice, how about that?[/quote]Very good! When ( [:)] ) it happens maybe you could donate to the - Community Sports Foundation .  I think Europe would be pushing it a bit too far this season, but I hope we are top of the mid table pile of teams by the end of the season.