Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Transfer Window

Anyone have any strong feelings or any insider knowledge over whether we can expect an active transfer window this January? Are we likely to return for summer targets we lost out on? Do we have particular irons in the fire? Is there the sense we need to strenghten? or are we likely to have a quiet January and leave most of our business until next summer?

I have to say I hate the January window. It just causes way too much hassle. There has to be a better way.

Some people love the last day drama but to me it''s just a joke, complete circus.

The whole "insider knowledge" agent spiel, manufactured stories and, ultimately, fan disappointment because we didn''t sign messi in the dying seconds just seems a bit passé to me.

Have to agree! Whole thing with Hooper last year was ridiculous, with SSN having a reporter stationed permenantly at the ground and that god-awful totaliser over-hyping the whole thing. Thank god I dont have SSN anymore!

Hughton has already said he''s after another wide man, other than that, I''m not sure, maybe a bit of cover for tettey would be useful

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think history shows that McNally doesn''t really go in for the January transfer window - the only significant signings I can think of in that month are Jonny Howson and Leon Barnett.[/quote]

Bethnal, that is generally true, although you could add in Ryan Bennett.

I think it depends partly how we are placed. I would say we need 22 or 23 points by halfway (ie including Man Utd at home) to make it look likely we will get to 40 without serious spending.

The other cosideration is that we expended a great deal of effort in the summer failing to get a particlular kind of (normally expensive) player.

If (with or without 23 points) Hughton convinces the board we need a No.10 then that will probably equate to a lot of money.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Hughton has already said he''s after another wide man, other than that, I''m not sure, maybe a bit of cover for tettey would be useful[/quote]

That worries me, so Snodgrass, Bennett, Pilkington, Redmond, Murphy x 2 and even Olsson + Whittaker are not enough ?

Especially when we have at last found a way to get the ball to the striker by not playing 2 wide men.

We need a goal scoring passing attacking midfielder to link up with the striker. another CB would be good too but that is all.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think history shows that McNally doesn''t really go in for the January transfer window - the only significant signings I can think of in that month are Jonny Howson and Leon Barnett.[/quote] Bethnal, that is generally true, although you could add in Ryan Bennett. I think it depends partly how we are placed. I would say we need 22 or 23 points by halfway (ie including Man Utd at home) to make it look likely we will get to 40 without serious spending. The other cosideration is that we expended a great deal of effort in the summer failing to get a particlular kind of (normally expensive) player. If (with or without 23 points) Hughton convinces the board we need a No.10 then that will probably equate to a lot of money.[/quote]

Ah, forgot about Ryan Bennett.

I agree it will depend on how worried McNally and co are about survival - I think they would really rather avoid the whole Jan maddness, the Howson and Bennett deals were slightly forced on the club due to circumstance - Bennett was about to sign for Swansea and the contract talks between Leeds and Howson broke down and he was made available (I presume other clubs were also circling).

I also agree that last summer was probably Norwich''s busiest transfer window of all time and it''s clear that some targets were missed - the centre back being the most obvious - will be interesting to see if the club are prepared to spend the extra money and fill that hole in January or cross their fingers and wait until the summer. I wouldn''t be surprised if they opt for a short term option and get a loan in. Many people expected a busy January last season with the team in dire need for a striker - the club took the short term option then bringing in Kei and Becchio.

I think the wide player depends entirely on Bennett''s recovery. I think he''s doing well and should be okay by January so we may leave it.

A cdm would be nice, but if it''s a case of waitin till the summer and getting an significant upgrade rather than a stop gap January fix that is only comparable to tettey and Johnson then my mind goes towards the long term. Won''t stop dummies going everywhere though.

Weren''t Hughton''s comments about an additional wide man made back in the summer and only realting to bring someone in on loan? Bennett is back in Febuary and Norwich will be back up to 5 wide players (including Josh Murphy).

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]I think history shows that McNally doesn''t really go in for the January transfer window - the only significant signings I can think of in that month are Jonny Howson and Leon Barnett.[/quote] Bethnal, that is generally true, although you could add in Ryan Bennett. I think it depends partly how we are placed. I would say we need 22 or 23 points by halfway (ie including Man Utd at home) to make it look likely we will get to 40 without serious spending. The other cosideration is that we expended a great deal of effort in the summer failing to get a particlular kind of (normally expensive) player. If (with or without 23 points) Hughton convinces the board we need a No.10 then that will probably equate to a lot of money.[/quote]

Ah, forgot about Ryan Bennett.

I agree it will depend on how worried McNally and co are about survival - I think they would really rather avoid the whole Jan maddness, the Howson and Bennett deals were slightly forced on the club due to circumstance - Bennett was about to sign for Swansea and the contract talks between Leeds and Howson broke down and he was made available (I presume other clubs were also circling).

I also agree that last summer was probably Norwich''s busiest transfer window of all time and it''s clear that some targets were missed - the centre back being the most obvious - will be interesting to see if the club are prepared to spend the extra money and fill that hole in January or cross their fingers and wait until the summer. I wouldn''t be surprised if they opt for a short term option and get a loan in. Many people expected a busy January last season with the team in dire need for a striker - the club took the short term option then bringing in Kei and Becchio.

[/quote]

Bethnal I am really not trying to be picky! But it is a fact - sorry, FACT!!! - that we made two bids of £7m each for two unnamed players (presumably RvW and Hooper) and that we made multiple bids for Hooper.

I assume we quickly lost interest in RvW once that absurd figure of 20m euros was quoted but we were trying to land Hooper right up until the afternoon of deadline day. He was meant to be as well as Becchio and Kamara.

[quote user="KeelansGlove"] We need a goal scoring passing attacking midfielder to link up with the striker. another CB would be good too but that is all.[/quote]

How many goals does it take to be a goal scoring midfielder? And who could we get?

Ramsey has had a good season on 8 league goals - which is obviously far better than he''s ever done before. Yaya Toure is on 7. Hazard 6, Oscar 5, Nasri, Ozil and Lampard all on 4.

I''m not really sure if we''re going to find a midfielder any more likely to score goals than Fer and Howson.

We currently have 23 senior players available, with Fox and Ayala out on loan. So presuming neither will be looking to be part of the future that leaves the club with two places available.The club has talked of missing out on a centre back in the summer so we have to presume that that position is still in need of filling. On a straight one for one then logically any other incoming player will be a midfielder in the Fox mould - and if we can continue to stay on track for our current 43 points finish then the return of Bennett, Snodgrass and Pilks will be a massive boost.However this is all dependant on no out going players. I would think that any player thought to be ''surplus to requirements'' will be kept until the end of season. So far one of the most striking things of the past 4 years has been the way the club have retained it''s better players. No player has moved to a ''bigger'' club and there is no financial pressure for us to sell either. The problem being that sell on clauses and far higher wages can easily cancel out position.If there are no major leavings then I would suggest January will be yet another quiet period with just a bit of ''patching up''. with the major changes taking place (as before) in the close season.

Seen comments about tom ince to Tottenham for £5m

We won''t be able to compete with them wages/profile wise but if their interest isn''t genuine, worth a bid at that price

That worries me, so Snodgrass, Bennett, Pilkington, Redmond, Murphy x 2 and even Olsson + Whittaker are not enough ?

--------------------------------------

Pilkington spends more time injured than healthy as of late.

it''s really only one murphy that we''re using, and I still think both could use with being sent out on loan to a championship side for more playing time.

according to many on hear, snoddy has been "worthless" this season, and I''d rather we left our fullbacks at just that -- fullbacks.

you can spin it whatever way you like, but we really only have benno, snoddy, pilks, and redmond. we could do with another winger.

I would like to see us go back in for Ola, but according to the mirror (I know..) liverpool want him on loan for the rest of the season. so another player to play in the hole would be nice. although I think hooper could do well there with RVW in front.

City 1st wrote: "We currently have 23 senior players available, with Fox and Ayala out on loan. So presuming neither will be looking to be part of the future that leaves the club with two places available."

We only declared 23 seniors for our ''25'' player squad - 21 + Fox and Ayala. Injured Elliot Bennett wasn''t named. Maybe you are including 19 year-old Nathan Redmond and EB as part of the senior squad. For recent games, with the 5 other injured senior players unavailable, the match-day squads have sort of picked themselves, with the remaining 16 fit senior players plus Redmond and Murphy. Sorry for being pedantic, but as things stand and assuming no departures, that Elliot B returns to the squad, and that none of those currently out on loan return for the 2nd half of the season, there are 3 ‘senior’ places available.

I think we''ll see a wide player in on loan, a CB permanently and that may well be it unless the right target comes available. If Becchio goes, which I think is very likely, then we may need another striker as cover - unless we manage to bring in Zaha on loan which would cover both those positions and would be realistically a great move for both him, us and United...

Can''t believe that anyone would suggest we need any position covered anywhere near as badly as an attacking Midfielder.

happy with one more defender if necessary and wouldn''t complain if we signed another Winger, DM or Striker/Wide Forward but honestly don''t think we need more in these positions other players in the squad can cover if necessary.

With the experience that his father had in building his reputation at a ''smaller'' top club (West Ham) I am sure we would be ideal for Tom Ince.

Too many good, younger players (Kyle Naughton, Ryan Bertrand etc.) will see their careers ruined by being at top clubs.

Paul Ince obviously saw this and advised against the big money move in the summer (Liverpool wasn''t it?).

Now would be a good time for him to move to a Premiership club that would give him game time and the chance to enhance his reputation.

Much rather we got a proper solid DM and allowed Fer/Howson to push forward more. Really believe Howson would love that role.