Sign in to follow this  
hertfordyellow

Is the penny finally dropping with young players that joining a big side will ruin their career

After some in-depth research (OK I looked on wikipedia) I was not only surprised to see how many "talents" the big clubs have out on loan but actually how old these players are. If you take Chelsea as an example, they have 25 players out on loan, most have only 0-3 appearances for the club and most have been out on loan 2 or 3 times already. Every year they wait to be included in the squad, every year Chelsea buy 5-6 full internationals to take the places of other full internationals. Just as they think they have impressed a manager in that time, the manager leaves and a new International manager comes in and brings in his own players. Some of these players still waiting are 23,24 now not 18,19, quite a bit of their career has gone.So whats my point? Well has the penny dropped with players that it''s a near impossible task before them and that joining a club like Southampton, Norwich, West Brom, learning the trade, being an important member of a team and then earning a move later on in their career is better? Reading between the lines (various Special One comments) Lukaku forced a move to Everton because of frustration with the Eto''o signing.   My main question is are these players actually the ones to try and sign rather than trawling the smaller European leagues for a bargain?  I''m not suggesting we sign Lukaku obviously but other players getting fed up with the broken promise of playing time.Again just looking at Chelsea, they have Patrick van Aanholt, Ryan Bertrand, Josh McEachran, Sam Hutchinson and Gael Kakuta who are technically gifted, know the footballing culture here and should have a burning desire to get their careers finally started after years of living with the promise of Champions League football which looks as far away now as it did at 17.

First off, good to see a local canary, I''m not too far from Hertford and used to live in Watton-At-Stone if you know it?

Secondly, I think this the way a lot of clubs have gone recently, these 20-25 players are more of an investment, if they don''t play for the first teams of these clubs they''ll still make a tidy profit when they are sold onto clubs like Norwich etc. Chelsea are a classic example of this and a lot of their players go abroad.

Thirdly, your question and its a risk whatever route you go down. If you go for the European league bargain it might not work out (see David Strihavka) if you go for the young Chelsea star are you paying over the odds for a player who ultimately may not live up to expectations.

Good question though.

While big clubs continue to offer longer contracts with larger salaries to promising young talent, it''s unlikely that young players will choose a smaller club, and a lower income, just to get time on the pitch. Let''s face it, even at Norwich young, developing players can''t be guaranteed game time. Redmond would probably have played far less had Pilks, Snodgrass and Benno remained fully fit.  Selecting inexperienced players has its risks. But someone has to take on the burden of youth development.As you say, it''s a shame to see genuinely talented young players sitting on the subs benches, or even in the stands, at big clubs while we have Bradley Johnson putting routine five-yard passes into touch (sorry, Brad, just making a point). 

[quote user="refjezdavies"]First off, good to see a local canary, I''m not too far from Hertford and used to live in Watton-At-Stone if you know it?

Secondly, I think this the way a lot of clubs have gone recently, these 20-25 players are more of an investment, if they don''t play for the first teams of these clubs they''ll still make a tidy profit when they are sold onto clubs like Norwich etc. Chelsea are a classic example of this and a lot of their players go abroad.

Thirdly, your question and its a risk whatever route you go down. If you go for the European league bargain it might not work out (see David Strihavka) if you go for the young Chelsea star are you paying over the odds for a player who ultimately may not live up to expectations.

Good question though.[/quote]

Ha I''m moving to watton-at-stone in March, you still local?

I just think that as the years go on without an academy product even making the match day squad these players will push for moves to get their careers going. I think it helps that Hodgson is picking players from Southampton too as it shows that playing regularly and doing well is doing you more favours than sporadic appearance at a Champions League club.

It would be sad if these players are sticking around because they get paid well to do nothing.

Pyro Pete - don''t worry I was thinking the same way about Brad when I wrote the OP. All these players sitting in the stands every week and BJ gets 90 mins of over hitting basic stuff.

Don''t want to call him out but his technique is championship standard at most (Sorry BJ :()

How do teams in other countries manage nuturing young talent without constantly buying from abroad? Do we see any decline in their national teams? If not careful over the coming years, then UK teams may end up fielding players who all play in lower leagues or who are in reserve teams which will do nothing for their national teams in years to come.Too few youngsters are being given the opportunity to play in the first team of their academy. This is the price of success and big business that the PL and football has become.

If you listen to a recent interview from Lukaku, he says exactly this. I could be on the bench at Chelsea, if I''m lucky, or banging in goals for somebody else who will appreciate me. I want the latter.

The guy is going to be a world class player. Belgium are going to be a world class force in international football.

"How do teams in other countries manage nuturing young talent without constantly buying from abroad? Do we see any decline in their national teams?"

Most foreign leagues allow professional B teams in the lower leagues. The benefits of this are overwhelming. Competitive football every week in a professional league structure.