Sign in to follow this  
The Big Bad Wolf

Is the Wolf a Turkey?

Is RvW toothless or will he bite back? Is he a sheep in Wolf''s clothing or worse still a Turkey? Enough of this...will he turn out to be value for money? From what I have seen he is a hard-working team player but we have plenty of those. It''s quality we need. He is living off scraps but only one goal - he has missed quite a few chances. What is the general consensus?

Right player just at the wrong time. Put him in a team like swansea or villa who go forward in numbers and hit teams on the counter i bet he would have more than 1 goal. Feel for him and hooper.

I was calling for Hooper to play, but actually thought RVW would have done better on Saturday as he is clearly settling in gradually to this league. Plenty of top strikers not notching much in this league to date, its tough and so many on here simply under estimate just how tough it is.

He''s a genuinely quality player but unfortunately our manager is completely incapable of getting him involved in the game just like with ever other striker we''ve had,.

[quote user="iwansnorwich"]He''s a genuinely quality player but unfortunately our manager is completely incapable of getting him involved in the game just like with ever other striker we''ve had,.[/quote]

This is bang on. Whilst hughton is still at the club out strikers will look toothless. He even made Holty look ineffective. It takes a special kind of incompetence to be able to do that.

Hughton out

He''s one of the best strikers in Europe. Give him a little time and he''ll be scoring loads of goals. Hughton haters want him to fail for the same reasons they want the club to fail as a whole. Sink the ship because you don''t like the captain. Chumps.

[quote user="Local canary"]Lectured by a plastic I have seen it all. Going to bed in an attempt to lower my blood pressure[/quote]Need someone to fetch some smelling salts while you retire to the fainting sofa? Shall I fan your forehead? Poor lamb. Heart just isn''t strong enough.

[quote user="PortlandCanary"]He''s one of the best strikers in Europe. Give him a little time and he''ll be scoring loads of goals. Hughton haters want him to fail for the same reasons they want the club to fail as a whole. Sink the ship because you don''t like the captain. Chumps. [/quote]

That is way overstating it. RvW might develop into that but until now he had never played in a top league, and not scored an international goal. An obvious comparison is with Osvaldo, bought by Southampton. He notched 27 goals in 55 appearances for Roma, and before that scored for other Serie A clubs, not to mention 20 in 40 for Espanyol. And has four goals in 11 games for one of the best national sides in the world.

This post is exactly the sort of thing we were reading last season about Holt. Apparently he was ''over the hill'', ''past it'' and had been ''found out at Premiership level''.

The point is, if last season Holt was ''past it'', and this season the Wolf is ''a turkey'' when we paid ÂŁ7 million for him and he scored goals in Portugal last season, maybe we should look more carefully at what has remained constant between last season and this season..... Answer? Step forward Chris Hughton and his ultra defensive tactics.

Playing one striker, totally isolated, against top class defenders, has led to our inability to score goals, or for our strikers in particular, to get amongst the goals. Last season our defenders weighed in with lots of goals. This season our midfield is scoring a lot. But our strikers? Nothing. And it''s all down to Hoot''s negative tactics. If we went 4-4-2 or 4-1-2-1-2 (diamond formation) we would see a dramatic change in the Wolf''s fortunes. He would score goals! Yes we might be more susceptible to conceding one or two more goals, but heaven help us, we might actually offer a goal threat. Games might actually be entertaining again.

Before writing the Wolf off, lets look very carefully at Hoots and his duller than ditch water tactics.

[quote user="Eadie4England"]Right player just at the wrong time. Put him in a team like swansea or villa who go forward in numbers and hit teams on the counter i bet he would have more than 1 goal. Feel for him and hooper.[/quote]

Huzzah![Y]