Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Snodgrass as a forward?

After watching the Scotland match last week, Snodgrass was playing as a striker and played very well. Scored one and hit the post. Our strikers aren''t exactly scoring so why not play Snodgrass as a striker?

Snodgrass as a bench warmer I think ;)

And why not play him as a striker?

Well the first reason that springs to mind, is him upfront would result in the same as Hooper and RVW, only worse, because he isn''t a striker and at least a couple of RVWs few and far between Snoddy wouldn''t have been anywhere near. And also Snoddy, despite his useless crossing this season is still creating some stuff that resembles chances.

I get your thinking, and yes he''s done well for Scotland in that role at least once. But doesn''t mean he should become a PL striker...

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Maybe he could be the answer at the infamous no. 10 position? Pilks, Snoddy and Redderz behind a front man could be good?[/quote]

It''s actually quite a scary thought !

wouldnt make enough of an impact, not strong enough physically and not good enough finisher... better out wide as a good crosser, direct style, able to play with either foot.

Not strong enough physically? I suggest you watch his goal for Scotland then, I believe that''s Dejan Lovren in the middle he beats to the ball too...

For me, All three can play right across the three AM positions and could rotate. It was noted how much Redmond had played there already.

Just so the OP knows, Snodgrass is a winger.

Infact no, lets stick him up front with Ruddy. And have Van Wolfswinkel at right back and Hoolahan in goal.

We might as well try it though.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Lump Fer and Tettey in behind. I think we should go for it.[/quote]
Not sure he is the man to find the killer pass through the defence for Ricky to run on to, but it would be another way of mixing it up if we needed to during a game. It would give the opposition defence something new to think about. Plus he would provide a second target when we have to go long. He would be more robust than Wes in that role but probably not as skillful or subtle.
However I think this has been suggested before and if it was anywhere near Hoots thinking we would have seen it by now - so it ain''t going to happen.

If he throws himself to the floor in search of a free-kick in a more central area rather than on the wing, then our free-kicks could be more effective. Problem is he''d be taking them - doesnt really matter where on the pitch it hits the first man...

I don''t think that he is a striker - he scored for Scotland with a header, but that is not a strong part of his game. He could, however, play at number 10, feeding the striker. Certainly he is too slow for a winger, and although he likes to play on the right he struggles to cross with his right foot. The result, as we all know, is that play slows down while he cuts inside.

My feeling is that unless he can make the transition to a more inside role, he may eventually find it hard to keep a place, which is a shame as he gives his all.

Our strikers are not scoring, but one reason is that Snoddy does not get forward quickly enough to pull back the ball from the by-line. The other main reason is that our strikers, RvW and Hooper, at least, play off the defenders shoulders and need to have balls passed through and beyond the defenders for them to run on to, but that is not happening.