Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Our Uefa Cup run anniversary has upset someone

What with him being a Binner you''d expect him to get his history correct if nothing else as it appears that''s all the have left, well ancient history and a handful of IOU''s in the tea and biscuit money."Let’s get Norwich’s European pedigree into some kind of perspective.

They’ve qualified for the UEFA cup once. They’ve played three European

ties, winning one at home, drawing one at home, and losing one at home."

I disagree with his point that those down the road don''t crow about their past glories, it is in fact ALL they crow on about!! I''ve never met a Town fan yet that doesn''t reply to the boast from myself that we''re currently raking it in in the top level of English football with a "Yeah, but we won this that and the other mate!". Also, they fail to remember that we were denied European entry by the ban on English clubs and also they qualified for their last European jaunt via the Fair Play rankings!! Nothing really to brag about that one!

It is a little embarrassing the way we celebrate getting to the Third round, especially considering it''s a competition Ipswich has won.

He comes across as an idiot but I agree with his main point.

those filfthy blue scum are fortunate that during their "golden period " of the late 70''s-early 80''s ,they were allowed to compete in Europe.

during ours , of the mid 80''s to early 90''s , we could only compete once when it should have been many more.

Sports Desk Pete''s account has been hacked! [:O]I''ve started loads of binner threads in the past and every one has been moved to ''other football''. [8o|]I know it''s not him. [:)]Perhaps it''s that nice Mr Pickover reminding us of just how great his beloved binners were. [:@][:S]

I actually agree that what really amounts to one win in Munich is somewhat overhyped, considering it''s 20 years on and we got knocked out in the next round. No one really crows about our first round win in Arnhem...

However, the rest of the article is fairly pointless. Until I looked into it a couple of years ago, I had assumed that Ipswich had a footballing pedigree to rival the biggest clubs in the land due to the way they go on about it. What I discovered is that they''ve won 3 major trophies. We''ve won 2. No one will dispute that their UEFA and league successes are greater achievements, but really, they''re aren''t exactly Liverpool are they?!

They cling on to those successes as if it''s all that matters. The fact is that most of those successes are before many fans were even born and it is Norwich who last won a major trophy between the two clubs, in 1985.

The truth is that if you ask the majority of fans what they''d rather have, they''d prefer a vibrant club in the here and now. A club that is in the top flight, sells out every week, owns its own ground, is debt free, has international quality players on long-term contracts and operates at a profit, as opposed to a club that has spent over a decade in the wilderness, half-fills its ground, doesn''t own its ground and is in enormous debt to a supposed sugar-daddy who takes interest payments and increases the clubs debt to him every year. 

Maybe Mr Tacket forgot about all of that!

[quote user="Beefy is a legend"]Maybe Mr Tacket forgot about all of that![/quote]History is all they can throw at us. But that''s exactly what they are.....HISTORY. [:D]

Never mind Mr Tacket, it wont be long before the only thing you will remember about 1p5wich is when they used to actually exist as a football club.[:P]

Every week they have to watch us in the prem on MOTD, Sky and local news. Meanwhile they''re losing at home to the Burnley''s of this world. They can''t even compete properly in the Champs anymore and will find their level in league one sooner or later. The rich investor has become a mercenary embarrassment but they''re stuck with him. They''d probably struggle to find a fiver between ''em to wave at us should we ever play them in a cup tie. The town still stinks. The ground is always half empty. This piece about our 20 year celebration has to keep them warm through yet another hard, envious winter. I don''t begrudge them it. 

To me remembering anything over 10 years ago, stating the obvious, is so yesteryear. Ipswich awful for their antics in their short glory years.

Rather listen to a Newcastle fan and lack of silver ware than a binman.

For us? Cracking game, one to remember at the right time but not to make a big deal out.

About the original post? Annoying the reporter can''t get some facts right but that is todays journalist. Pinch of salt, we''ve been in the top flight for the 3rd season - they are the current longest serving Championship team - long may that continue!

"Okay so Norwich beat (what was then a very poor) Bayern Munich in 1993 over two legs."Bayern WON the Bundesliga that season.

Norwich qualified for Europe 4 times in total:''85-''86 (League Cup), ''87-''88 (5th)''89-''90 (4th)''92-''93 (3rd)Anyway, it''s really about the here & now, in which case it''s Norwich.

They''re obsessed with us! The daily NCFC thread on TWTD today is......"Would any player that has ever played for Norwich make our all time XI?"Some of the replies are hilarious......."Other than Martin Peters, who was well past his prime when he went

there, that''s a fairly pathetic team, could almost be argued that most

of them where even good top flight players for any sustained period of

time ""I suppose Keelan might get close to Cooper (but not that close) although I would put Sereni ahead of Cooper anyway.""We''ll imo I think Richard Wright would get the gk spot...I have seen all

the keepers mentioned so far from David Best onwards and I still think

when he left us Wright was the best I''d seen....I do have some older

friends who claim Roy Bailey was our best ever though!"[:S]

and in the Modern day, Norwich City are a debt free club, playing in the top flight as one of the top 20 elite teams in the country, selling out home and away week after week...

the squad is full of internationals, (including a goalkeeper regularly in the squad for England), a Chief Exec who knows both business and the game inside out.

Ipswich on the other hand???? I await Mr Tackett''s well thought out and succint reply.... or will head go firmly back up backside or fingers in the ears with a "LA LALALA I CANT HEAR YOU"

[quote user="lappinitup"]Sports Desk Pete''s account has been hacked! [:O]

I''ve started loads of binner threads in the past and every one has been moved to ''other football''. [8o|]

I know it''s not him. [:)]

[/quote]

I think you are right as Lapp as I hear he now is called Digital Content Editor Pete at Archant Towers. [H]