Sign in to follow this  
Orford65

'Worldy' goals

Having watched the opening two Fulham strikes last night, both on the volley and the first one an absolute ''worldy'', left me racking my brains to try and remember the last time we actually scored a sensational goal. Age has somewhat dimmed my memory cells, which does''nt help!The Howson one-two with Becchio (whatever happened to him?) at Man City and subsequent finish was good, but scorching volleys from us are normally threatening the corner flag or ending up in row Z.Do we practise first-time strikes, are we just not confident enough or do we have players lacking in the basic skills required?Notwithstanding all that, I will settle for the winner against Cardiff going in off the ref''s ar$e as he gets in the way of a long punt downfield by Ruddy.  [:)]

C**d Evans versus Cardiff?

Howsons versus Man City was class!

But you''re right, we rarely score and decent long range belters. On all the compilations, we appear quite a lot but it''s always being scored against!

Ashton vs Palace opening game in 2005.. watched it go over his shoulder before volleying it past Speroni and into the top corner in 1 movement.

[quote user="Orford65"]Having watched the opening two Fulham strikes last night, both on the volley and the first one an absolute ''worldy'', left me racking my brains to try and remember the last time we actually scored a sensational goal. Age has somewhat dimmed my memory cells, which does''nt help!The Howson one-two with Becchio (whatever happened to him?) at Man City and subsequent finish was good, but scorching volleys from us are normally threatening the corner flag or ending up in row Z.Do we practise first-time strikes, are we just not confident enough or do we have players lacking in the basic skills required?Notwithstanding all that, I will settle for the winner against Cardiff going in off the ref''s ar$e as he gets in the way of a long punt downfield by Ruddy.  [:)]

[/quote]Wasnt the Becchio- Howson one-two v WBA at home?

Hasn''t been any shortage of goals from outside the penalty box since we''ve returned to the Premier League.

Just from memory:

Howson v WBA (H) and Stoke (A).

Pilkington v Villa (A), QPR (A) and Man City (H).

Snodgrass v Swansea (A), Southampton (A) and WBA (A).

Morison v Blackburn (H).

E Bennet v Spurs (A)

Johnson v Blackburn (H)

A couple of these were deflections and I wouldn''t necessarily call any of these goals ''worldys'' but there is no evidence here of an unwillingness to have a go from distance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApDYHnBE6ISome absolute crackers here, but for the 20 passes leading up to it I''ve got to say it''s hard to beat the first one. [:)]

[quote user="The Frisbee Hyena"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApDYHnBE6I

Some absolute crackers here, but for the 20 passes leading up to it I''ve got to say it''s hard to beat the first one. [:)]

[/quote]

Agreed. But also a few very average goals too! Maybe a sign of how football has changed. Better pitches, Engineered lighter footballs and boots have resulted in more "worldy" goals on a regular basis.

I''ve never seen two better goals in one half of football than Fulham last night, but I don''t recall them scoring many world class strikes recently so I''d say they were more of a freak occurence than the norm. The same goes for other similar level clubs to us. For example Peter Crouch last season with his wonder goal, other than that when was the last time Stoke scored a great goal?

As for Norwich, going back a few years who remembers Jeremy Goss''s slightly less famous volley off a Fox cross away to Leeds in 1993ish. Absolute beauty. Or a goal we scored away at Sheffield Wednesday in the same era? They had gone 3 up at half time, but we came back to draw 3-3. One goal, possibly scored by Mark Bowen was a screamer where he put his laces through it from 30 yards out.

[quote user="The Frisbee Hyena"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XApDYHnBE6ISome absolute crackers here, but for the 20 passes leading up to it I''ve got to say it''s hard to beat the first one. [:)]

[/quote]

What i''d do for an Efan Ekoku back here at the peak of his powers! Quality player!

Murphys vs Watford was the last great goal in my book.

[quote user="Jonzey"]

I''ve never seen two better goals in one half of football than Fulham last night, but I don''t recall them scoring many world class strikes recently so I''d say they were more of a freak occurence than the norm. The same goes for other similar level clubs to us. For example Peter Crouch last season with his wonder goal, other than that when was the last time Stoke scored a great goal?

As for Norwich, going back a few years who remembers Jeremy Goss''s slightly less famous volley off a Fox cross away to Leeds in 1993ish. Absolute beauty. Or a goal we scored away at Sheffield Wednesday in the same era? They had gone 3 up at half time, but we came back to draw 3-3. One goal, possibly scored by Mark Bowen was a screamer where he put his laces through it from 30 yards out.

[/quote]

That is one of my favourite ever Norwich goals, even the Leeds fan stood and applauded that one, mind you a good performance all round that day.