Sign in to follow this  
Reggie Strayshun

Is the Tettey article ?

In today''s Pink Un a bit of news management to suggest that there may be some fundamental changes to strategy/lineup in the near future, or should we just take it at face value as the private thoughts of an individual player ?

Depends entirely which way you would like to spin it, or if you are the sort of person that can manufacture a conspiracy theory out of nothing.

Most players, when asked, will always say they don''t take their place in the team for granted, so as not to sound arrogant.

Obviously the manager is going to change the midfield line up at some point.

Interesting he mentioned specifically that he didn''t think we''d set up in that formation against Cardiff

[quote user="First Wizard"]Bringing back Bradders, you see, even CH listens to me![:D][/quote]If he did he''d have resigned by now. [;)]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Bringing back Bradders, you see, even CH listens to me![:D][/quote]

It actually sounds more like dropping Tettey for Hooper, which means Tettey with move to the bench and Johnson might not even get a place there...

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Bringing back Bradders, you see, even CH listens to me![:D][/quote]

It actually sounds more like dropping Tettey for Hooper, which means Tettey with move to the bench and Johnson might not even get a place there...

[/quote]

What I gather Hughton hasn''t tried yet in the league is playing Elmander in his proper position, as a target man. Either by himself or with a kind of No.10 buzzing around behind and alongside.

The interesting point is that we now have enough players of quality to consider different tactics whereas last season we were restricted by Hughton only having about 13 or 14 players he felt comfortable with.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]The interesting point is that we now have enough players of quality to consider different tactics whereas last season we were restricted by Hughton only having about 13 or 14 players he felt comfortable with.[/quote]

Oh yeah.

A 34 year old diving Swede, an injured, can''t score in a brothel dutchman, an Arggie who''s never picked and an Irish fella who''s all but washed up here......yeah, we''re awash with quality.

“In two games now us, the players, everything the boss is saying to us is to go for it. Not wait, sit back and take it all the time."

As well as the formation comments that quote is interesting. I may be reading too much into it but suggests a change of approach. i wonder what has prompted this change in approach? Fan pressure, results pressure or a quiet word in Mr Chris''s ear from above.

Lets face it, the usual suspects will spin it whatever way they want, to suit their own particular agenda.

[quote user="First Wizard"]Bringing back Bradders, you see, even CH listens to me![:D][/quote]If he did we''d be fielding the Youth team as there wouldd be no senior players left at the club.

[quote user="Zak Van Legwetter"][quote user="First Wizard"]Bringing back Bradders, you see, even CH listens to me![:D][/quote]

If he did we''d be fielding the Youth team as there wouldd be no senior players left at the club.
[/quote]

Eh?[:S]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]“In two games now us, the players, everything the boss is saying to us is to go for it. Not wait, sit back and take it all the time."

As well as the formation comments that quote is interesting. I may be reading too much into it but suggests a change of approach. i wonder what has prompted this change in approach? Fan pressure, results pressure or a quiet word in Mr Chris''s ear from above.[/quote]

Or perhaps Hughton wants to play that way and feels he has the players to play that way this season, where perhaps last season he didn''t? Just a possibility you seem to have left out there. I think we should rule out the ''quiet word'' possibility. If McNally wanted to set the tactics then he would manage the team himself. To save an extra wage if for no other reason!!

Flecky''s Flip-Flop wrote the following post at 23/10/2013 11:22 AM:

Or perhaps Hughton wants to play that way and feels he has the players to play that way this season, where perhaps last season he didn''t? Just a possibility you seem to have left out there. I think we should rule out the ''quiet word'' possibility. If McNally wanted to set the tactics then he would manage the team himself. To save an extra wage if for no other reason!!

Exactly so.

I can''t think Tettey would say this if he hadnt witnessed/discussed at first hand on the training pitches during the week the possibilty of changing formations/personnel to suit the opposition.

I believe Hughton''s job is on the line this Saturday and he must win and must pick a team to do it.

wouldn''t be surprised if we reverted to the Elmander/RVW  frontline for this (Hooper if RVW is out)

Hughton has always said Hooper and RVW could play together. Even high up the pitch in certain games. So why spin it differently. Fan pressure, quiet words from above, player revolt. Like the Arsenal thread some of the comments on here are ridiculous. Hughton also said that he had considered playing Hooper behind RVW whose strength is making forward runs into the box. I don''t think he''s ever considered playing them the other way around though and neither do I think it would work. But it''s all about options and we undoubtedly have more than we had last season. Hughton is honest enough to say it''s up to him to make the various options work so we should at least give him the chance to do so rather than come up with ridiculous scenarios to fall back on if we beat Cardiff.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Zak Van Legwetter"][quote user="First Wizard"]Bringing back Bradders, you see, even CH listens to me![:D][/quote]If he did we''d be fielding the Youth team as there wouldd be no senior players left at the club.[/quote]

[/quote]Oh yeah my mistake, Bradley Johnson and just ten U18''s, it appears BJ is the only senior player you haven''t demanded be driven out the club or is patently useless!

[quote user="morty"]Depends entirely which way you would like to spin it, or if you are the sort of person that can manufacture a conspiracy theory out of nothing. Most players, when asked, will always say they don''t take their place in the team for granted, so as not to sound arrogant. Obviously the manager is going to change the midfield line up at some point.[/quote]

"you don’t buy two strikers for £8m and not use them"

You''re going to call me a conspiracy theorist for this morty, and while i''m not suggesting a ''conspiracy'' i don''t think you can deny that this quote is probably the most interesting and telling part of what AT has said. It seems to me that this is exactly whay CH prefers to do - or rather to use just one striker. Or is that wrong? Maybe it is. We''ll find out on Saturday.  

What do you think?

[quote user="morty"]Lets face it, the usual suspects will spin it whatever way they want, to suit their own particular agenda.[/quote]

I take your point, Morty, but that really was not my initial question. I''m not looking for "conspiracies" in this, but it''s hardly unheard of for management to brief players who they know are due for a press conference to be their "messenger".

It''s difficult to call, but there certainly does, reading between the lines, appear to be suggestion that something fundamentally different is going to be used v Cardiff on Sat. Time will tell.

Interesting, but I for one would like to see a few changes, but not to fomration!

I would like to see Bennett back inot the back 4 and drop Turner and I would start Redmond for Pilks and finally for me it has to be RVW and Hooper on the bench, from the little I have seen of both stikers RVW has far better movement.

I don''t think we need to change the midfield 3, Fer Tettey and Howson are in parts looking quality, if they can just do a full shift this Saturday then Redmond, Snodders and RVW will have a bag full chances.

Indy,

Snodgrass has done and created absolutely nothing, yet Pilks has caused defences problems.

Why would you keep Snodders in and drop Pilks for Redmond?

Doesn''t make sense to keep the out of form guy in and drop an In Form guy out?

Snake

I can''t argue with that Snake Eyes, either TBH, I don''t think Pilks is anywhere near where he was either, actually, you could even argue over dropping both and playing two speedy wingers, with Murphy and Redmond and an alterntive option. Both scoring goals and full of young confidence.

Murphy and Redmond. Yes please! Not much tracking back though.

I think Snodgrass and Pilks are missing Wes badly. When he was in the middle, a great deal of our play went via him and out to Pilks and Snods in the channels. Howson''s a bit more selfish, looks to drive forward himeslf or to pick up the second ball. He scores more as a result, but is not the fulcrum of the team that Hoolahan is and is less creative as a result. Trade Howson''s goals for Wes'' creativity? Who''d be a manager!

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]"you don’t buy two strikers for £8m and not use them"

That bang on the head has affected his memory or mathematical skills.[/quote]

To be fair there''s not been too much opportunity to use them together? And of course there''s different ways to use them. Having one on the bench and using them together is one way. Playing them together from the start is another way. Playing 2 up top or 1 off the other is another way. But both have to be fit for those scenarios and I think the only times Hughton has had them both fit is the Stoke and Chelsea games and I don''t think he got much wrong in either of those did he?

[quote user="Zak Van Legwetter"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Zak Van Legwetter"][quote user="First Wizard"]Bringing back Bradders, you see, even CH listens to me![:D][/quote]

If he did we''d be fielding the Youth team as there wouldd be no senior players left at the club.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh yeah my mistake, Bradley Johnson and just ten U18''s, it appears BJ is the only senior player you haven''t demanded be driven out the club or is patently useless!
[/quote]

As per usual you''re so wrong its painful.

Ruddy, Martin, Fer Olson, Hoops, Snoddy, Pilks, Redman, Howson, Bunn, Garrido all top guys with me. . . now, you were saying?[:|]