Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

If you had a time machine

If you had a time machine, and could go back in time to change one single event in Norwich City''s history, what would you choose?

For me, Id bundle Bryan Gunn into the back of a van and abduct him until the Nottingham Forest game in 1994 had been and gone. Who knows what might have happened to the club if he hadnt broken his leg in that game...

Its hard. Because i''m happy where the club is now. Yes we could be playing better football over all etc etc but we''re in the top league, practically debt free, signing some of the best players i''ve ever seen at the club.

I''m torn between between three events, two of them non-contract renewals. I''d probably go back to first time we were promoted in my era. Under Worthy. And make sure Malky and Iwan were offered contracts (I count that as a single event).

My 2nd and 3rd choices would be Hucks contract under Roeder and winning play-off final against Brum.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]

If you had a time machine, and could go back in time to change one single event in Norwich City''s history, what would you choose?

For me, Id bundle Bryan Gunn into the back of a van and abduct him until the Nottingham Forest game in 1994 had been and gone. Who knows what might have happened to the club if he hadnt broken his leg in that game...

[/quote]

We were in footballing and financial decline then. If we had stayed up that season we would have got relegated the next, or soon after. Perhaps, looking at the season before, any one of a few incidents against Inter - the shot against the crossbar, the stupid Newman foul for the penalty, the near miss from Ekoku. A win against Inter, taking us into the winter break for European competition, and we might have held on to Walker. That said, the financial problems would still have been there.

I''d go to Heysel and prevent the whole Liverpool/Juventus event.  Thus entering us into Europe before the 93/94 season.

Mine would be Chase failing to back Martin O''Neill with funds. O''Neill left, players  continued to be sold and the decline starting under Deehan and Megson the season before continued. It took 9 long years to get back to the Prem, but while I am not arguing that our 1992/3 success could have continued for 20 years, we fell out at the worst possible time and failing to get back up straight away with (at that time) one of the game''s best young managers, we have played catch up for a long portion of that time.

Mine would have been to the start of last season, i''d have shown them videos of the future Benteke and Michu bossing it and then made them take out a £10m loan to buy them both under the noses of Swansea and Villa. I reckon with those two we''d challenge the top four if everyone stayed fit (big if there!)

Milk cup semi final 2nd leg , I was 10 years old sitting in the old family enclosure in the south stand.

how I''d love to transport myself as I am today to the back of the Barclay terrace when that Bruce header went in.....must have been mayhem ?!?!?

Great question. So many and mostly already mentioned, but I do feel strongly that THE biggest mistake in more recent years was the appointment of Peter Grant, but not sure who else was available at that time to offer an alternative. I highlight this because he was actually backed quite well considering the financial position of the club at the time and messed up gloriously with some very lame signings, he put us even further back, subsequent Managers are usually the one''s who take the bulk of the blame, but "he started it" by leaving his successors with little funds to do much with and a very poor squad. 

I was going to say I''d change us beating Barnsley 4-0 to us losing 4-0 to Barnsley when Gunn was in caretaker charge, to stop him getting the job. However, his major failings as a manager meant we got Lambert so perhaps I wouldn''t change that.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]Great question. So many and mostly already mentioned, but I do feel strongly that THE biggest mistake in more recent years was the appointment of Peter Grant, but not sure who else was available at that time to offer an alternative. I highlight this because he was actually backed quite well considering the financial position of the club at the time and messed up gloriously with some very lame signings, he put us even further back, subsequent Managers are usually the one''s who take the bulk of the blame, but "he started it" by leaving his successors with little funds to do much with and a very poor squad. [/quote]

If I could travel back it would to somehow stop Delia joining City..........no more little old Norwich and drunken antics to put up with.........plus she was more ''doable'' back then too.[:D]

[quote user="First Wizard"]

If I could travel back it would to somehow stop Delia joining City..........no more little old Norwich and drunken antics to put up with.........plus she was more ''doable'' back then too.[:D]

[/quote]So do you now regret "Driving" Robert Chase out the club?

How very predictable wiz. I think a lot of us would have clubbed together to go back and pay your parents to remain childless.

[quote user="Zak Van Legwetter"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

So do you now regret "Driving" Robert Chase out the club?
[/quote]

Not a bit.............but footy with a decent manager was way better back then.

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I''d go to Heysel and prevent the whole Liverpool/Juventus event.  Thus entering us into Europe before the 93/94 season.[/quote]

out if interest, how would you have done that??

[/quote]Out of interest how would you have traveled back in time?

To be fair, with the benefit of hindsight, a quick bit of research would help you find out the causes of Heysel, you would then have to go back, tell the right people the reasons they need to change their actions (maybe even take a video back with you!) and then it would have all come to a head. There would no doubt have been another stadium where disaster occurred though, as it was all an accident waiting to happen.

[quote user="The Great Mass Debater"]If you had a time machine, and could go back in time to change one single event in Norwich City''s history, what would you choose?[/quote]1st October 1966...Rotherham v Norwich City.I would have gone to the game.............instead of my wedding. [:@]

LOL enjoys that Lappin

On another note, why does every thread have to go personal and at times nasty? Why cannot everyone just accept that another poster has a different opinion, regardless of how extreme, say you disagree and accept it? Is it a Norfolk thing, a Pink-un message board thing perhaps? Whatever, its wearing a bit thin isnt it......But, must admit I have found myself almost joining in at times and even may have ventured across that line too......it must be catching... 

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I''d go to Heysel and prevent the whole Liverpool/Juventus event.  Thus entering us into Europe before the 93/94 season.[/quote]Exactly the same for me. Liverpool prevented us from appearing in Europe during some of our best years.

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"][quote user="ncfcstar"]I''d go to Heysel and prevent the whole Liverpool/Juventus event.  Thus entering us into Europe before the 93/94 season.[/quote]Exactly the same for me. Liverpool prevented us from appearing in Europe during some of our best years.[/quote]Just imagine what might have happened had the great teams of that era been bolstered with a few million quid of European money. Much was made of the ITV digital collapse but personally I staunchly believe that our exclusion from Europe on two occasions cost our club far more than can be calculated in pounds and pence.

[quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I''d go to Heysel and prevent the whole Liverpool/Juventus event.  Thus entering us into Europe before the 93/94 season.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Out of interest how would you have traveled back in time?
[/quote]

I dont need to answer that?, the question from the  OP asks "If you had a time machine?". so I''m assuming thats already been taken care of?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"][quote user="ncfcstar"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

[quote user="ncfcstar"]I''d go to Heysel and prevent the whole Liverpool/Juventus event.  Thus entering us into Europe before the 93/94 season.[/quote]

[/quote]Out of interest how would you have traveled back in time?[/quote]

I dont need to answer that?, the question from the  OP asks "If you had a time machine?". so I''m assuming thats already been taken care of?

[/quote]I know, but my point is if we''re traveling back in time already I''m sure I don''t have to justify how I change an event! [:D]

I would go to the Enchantment Under the Sea dance and hook up my parents.

Then I''d figure out how they knew the exact second (not minute!) the lightning would strike and fill in that gaping hole in the Back to the Future script. And sign Ashton in the summer.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Then I''d figure out how they knew the exact second (not minute!) the lightning would strike and fill in that gaping hole in the Back to the Future script. [/quote]

Marty has the flyer in 1985 that specifies the Clock was struck by lightning.. dont forget the clock had stopped BEFORE the lightning strike... hence when Marty meets Doc in 1955, Doc will knew exactly when the lightning would hit and just had to be there....

No plot holes! best movie trilogy ever!

I would lay as much money as i could on bayern/norwich with goss being the first gs. I wonder what the odds were for that many moons ago.

Jas, they knew the time but there was no second hand, so how could they know the exact second?

And you can''t be serious about the trilogy being best ever. Parts 2&3 were so bad, so very very bad.

Easiest question ever.Back to that first season in the Premier League when Mike Walker knocks on Chase''s door and asks for some money to bolster the squad mid season and instead of being told there is no money, Chase says ''Yes how much can i give you?''Just imagine if we had been the first team to ever have won the Premier League.[:)]