Sign in to follow this  
Waveney Canary

Arsenal last night

I thought Dortmand did a great job on Arsenal last night. It just goes to show what a massive difference there is between the capability of the coach''s we have compared to dortmands and also the difference in tactical ability of the respective managers

It really hammered watching the game that we can''t progress under the current management team

The quality of the players is just one factor in success look at moyes at man utd. Or look at the Messiah with what he did with a bunch of journeymen

Good tactics and coaching can make up for a lack of spending power tactically Dortmand got in bang on last night Hughton failed miserably

The key to Dortmund''s performance last night was the way that they completely denied Arsenal any space or time to play the ball. Then using this pressure, when they did get control of the ball, they had players of sufficient class to capitalise. Yes, the tactics were good, but I cant see how you can really divorce tactics from the quality of players at your disposal. One shapes the other to a large extent. It was a very enjoyable game to watch though.

To be fair Dortmund are clearly a better side than us so its unfair to expect us to perform as well against Arsenal as them.

Having said that the interesting thing for me was that we DID play in much the same way as Dortmund for the middle section of our game against Arsenal with arguably a similar level of success during that period. the difference was that we were a bit too timid for the first section of the game and lacked the belief that we could actually match them and then in the latter portion of the game Hughton made the utterly idiotic decision to take off Tettey which ranks as one of the worst tactical substitutions i''ve ever seen. From that moment onwards we could not get enough of the ball and our defence looked exposed.

Arsenal have some very good and tidy players and if you let them have the ball in your half and run at you then they will hurt you but they are also somewhat lightweight in midfield and with Walcott missing lack pace on the flanks so have to play quite narrow. Get stuck into them, out muscle them and push them back and you can have some joy against them as we did for the middle 50 minutes or so on Saturday and as Dortmund did last night. That''s why, in my view, they are clearly a talented side but they are not as good as some think they are and they won;t win the league.

The speed and execution of their second goal just highlighted the problem we have using a slow left footed player on our right side.

If City had broken like that we would have still been on the halfway line looking to pass back to the full back.

Then and if the cross was made it would have swung towards the keeper NOT into the path of the incoming striker.

[quote user="The Butler"]

The speed and execution of their second goal just highlighted the problem we have using a slow left footed player on our right side.

If City had broken like that we would have still been on the halfway line looking to pass back to the full back.

Then and if the cross was made it would have swung towards the keeper NOT into the path of the incoming striker.

[/quote]

Yes that was very evident, especially in the first half on saturday. we actually had several very promising counter attack situations but you can''t play counter attacking tactics (as we appeared to be in the first half) without at least one genuinely pacey outlet. If we are going to play like that Redmond needs to start more.

This whole thread is obvious trolling.

[/quote]

It was Dortmund''s right back that crossed the ball, who is right footed, like Russel Martin is. Dortmund are the classic example of a team that play inverted wingers - although they will switch sides several times through out the game the wingers will always look to cut inside. It was the winger moving inside which pulled the Arsenal defender away from the full-back allowing him to cross...

Dortmund were quick to close down Arsenal players, and also very strong in contact. This quite threw the Gunners out of their stride, and stifled them. It took the London club some time in each half to speed up ball release and player movement.

Neither team had many chances, Ozil hit the woodwork, but otherwise only in the actual goals scored was there any threat on goal. The two teams were evenly balanced but a mistake by wonder boy Ramsay and a concentration on attack (-a little like Norwich on Saturday) led to the goals.

I have yet to see the highlights, or any report, which suggests that on Saturday we used the "in their face"/"straight at them" tackling, but if this was partly lacking it suggests that the Dortmund manager was more successful than CH in stifling Arsenal.

[quote user="Salopian"]

Dortmund were quick to close down Arsenal players, and also very strong in contact. This quite threw the Gunners out of their stride, and stifled them. It took the London club some time in each half to speed up ball release and player movement.

Neither team had many chances, Ozil hit the woodwork, but otherwise only in the actual goals scored was there any threat on goal. The two teams were evenly balanced but a mistake by wonder boy Ramsay and a concentration on attack (-a little like Norwich on Saturday) led to the goals.

I have yet to see the highlights, or any report, which suggests that on Saturday we used the "in their face"/"straight at them" tackling, but if this was partly lacking it suggests that the Dortmund manager was more successful than CH in stifling Arsenal.

[/quote]

I was at the game on Saturday and I think you have called it exactly right

Also isn''t Jurgen Klopp (!?) touted as the replacement for Wenger...you''d expect his tactics to be pretty good considering Dortmund were in the Champions League final last year!? Lets face it Hughton is not of the same pedigree (managing Newcastle and Birmingham!) and neither are our players. However, they are OUR players and OUR manager, so lets just put the Arsenal game behind us like the players and staff will, and cheer them on to thrashing Cardiff at the weekend! OTBC!!!

Arsenal were poor last night and looked lacklustre in comparison to how they played Saturday. Wilshire in particular was way off his normal game and only when he was subbed did Arsenal look anything like as threatening as against us.Yes, the Germans mostly have technically better players than us, but to suggest that their tactics somehow prove a point of how bad we are in comparison is quite frankly ridiculous.The match was clearly Arsenal''s for the taking. That they did''nt get at least a point was down to their own failings, as Wenger knows and was quite happy to admit.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

It was Dortmund''s right back that crossed the ball, who is right footed, like Russel Martin is. Dortmund are the classic example of a team that play inverted wingers - although they will switch sides several times through out the game the wingers will always look to cut inside. It was the winger moving inside which pulled the Arsenal defender away from the full-back allowing him to cross...

[/quote]

The op is obvious trolling but I think you''re being unkind to the others Beth. I think it''s little ol'' Norwich to suggest that we wouldn''t have a crack at the CL with decent manager and coaches. Anyway, our inverted wingers are more noticeable than theirs. They stick out like a sore thumb because we know who they are. Or at least Snodgrass does. This is why Hughton won''t be considered for one of Europe''s top teams and why we should have got Jergen Klopp after Lambert left. With the right management we can leave behind mid-table mediocrity and become an established PL outfit. I blame Delia...

[quote user="Local canary"]The quality of the players is just one factor in success look at moyes at man utd. Or look at the Messiah with what he did with a bunch of journeymen

Good tactics and coaching can make up for a lack of spending power tactically Dortmand got in bang on last night Hughton failed miserably[/quote]

because we have Lewandowski in the team dont we?

The Dortmund side that started against Arsenal were worth nearly £200 million. That, I would suggest, is why they did better than us.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote]

[/quote]Couldn''t have put it better myself.

[quote user="Local canary"]I thought Dortmand did a great job on Arsenal last night. It just goes to show what a massive difference there is between the capability of the coach''s we have compared to dortmands and also the difference in tactical ability of the respective managers

It really hammered watching the game that we can''t progress under the current management team[/quote]Borussia Dortmund are on a far higher level than us that''s why they and Arsenal are in the Champions League. We played reasonably well at the Emirates and still Arsenal scored four very good goals. Given our squad I doubt any manager would have avoided defeat last Saturday. Better teams than us will lose there.Trot out '' ifs '' '' buts '' and ''  '' maybe''s '' until we''re blue in the face but we were always on a hiding to nothing.

It also struck me that Wenger could easily have been blamed for the same tactical naivety as Hughton against Chelsea - going for the win when in the ascendancy, even though a draw would have left them in a comfortable position.

[quote user="ron obvious"]It also struck me that Wenger could easily have been blamed for the same tactical naivety as Hughton against Chelsea - going for the win when in the ascendancy, even though a draw would have left them in a comfortable position.[/quote]Too ''obvious'' for some on here ron.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]I thought Tettey was substituted as a result of the whack he took in his collision with Flamini (who also went off).........[/quote]

Exactly.  Thought it was a nasty challenge by the Arsenal player TBH - Tettey was clearly getting first to the ball and was hit late.