Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Why I fear relegation

I am not at all encouraged by the manager''s request we consider last season when we were a point worse off. Because the simple fact is we went on a very long and lucky run that saved us. After which the rot set in again.

the chances of another run like that are slim. Then you look at our final fixtures and they are tough, tough, tough. The run in will kill us unless we are well and truly out of danger.

Take the run out of the equation a minute. Other than that the performances have been pretty grim. The goals just do not come under this defensive set up. and ultimately goals matter rather a lot.

Despite spending millions and millions the results remain the same. I am not saying he should go - I am just noting concern. Would any other manager be standing after so few points stretching back so long?

I am concerned too like all City fans...don''t think there is any relevancy in pointing out what the fixture list is like and what the manager said...every fan knows.

Everyone just wants results and the manager knows he needs to get them or he''ll be sacked

Makes me chuckle when people say "Discount all those times we won" to try and illustrate their point that the ones we didn''t win or draw, we lost.Inciteful stuff indeed.

I feel the other way about this. If the title is secure by then I''d rather play teams like City, Arsenal, United etc. Rather them than play teams like Fulham who''ll be fighting for survival. It really doesn''t matter in the grand scheme of things. We all play each other twice!

Yes, Morty, there are a few on this forum who are akin to a sailor who, in the knowledge that there''s a huge hole in the hull of his boat, says "it''s OK ...90% of the hull is still perfectly intact".

To answer the OP''s point; I''m not really considering relegation just yet. There''s plenty of time to pull it round. But that situation will not last forever, and we are entering a period where the odds could change VERY rapidly.

My thoughts exactly. The point is the season is 38 games long and, despite the "lop-side" points accumulation last season, we still finished eleventh.

And when fans refer to either "4 wins in 21 games" or "19 points from 21 games" they belong to last season and should not be added to this season''s sequence to reinforce their view that we''re on a poor run of form strenghting back 29 games, because all that matters are the games from this season, the rest are history!

You could take the opposite approach to results last year as well in

that, sure, we won''t replicate the 10 game unbeaten run, but we also

won''t replicate the 2 wins in 20 games run after Christmas as well.

Those should even each other out.

Anyway, I fear The Boogie Man. Just because I fear something, doesn''t make it real.

Oddly enough we usually have to play about 19 teams up until the turn of the year, and then have to play the same 19 teams in the reverse fixtures in the new year. whodathunkit!?

Well, hang on a bit Spencer. The apologist people are all currently saying "Well we never really expected to get poits out of Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal... games against lesser teams will be the REAL test ".....blah blah blah.

Fair enough, but why should the prediction be any different as regards our last 4 fixtures of the season.

As per usual, there are some who are are extremely selective in their facts to support opinions.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Well, hang on a bit Spencer. The apologist people are all currently saying "Well we never really expected to get poits out of Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal... games against lesser teams will be the REAL test ".....blah blah blah.

Fair enough, but why should the prediction be any different as regards our last 4 fixtures of the season.

As per usual, there are some who are are extremely selective in their facts to support opinions.[/quote]

Bang on Reginald the Hapless Hughton apologists seemed to selectively forget that his record in 2013 has been dismal. How bad it has to get before they accept he is a goner I can''t imagine. I suspect there will be a few of the outers after Saturday

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]As per usual, there are some who are are extremely selective in their facts to support opinions.[/quote]Oh, like this you mean.....[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]Because the simple fact is we went on a very long and lucky run that saved us...[/quote]I think I''ve got it now.....

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]You could take the opposite approach to results last year as well in that, sure, we won''t replicate the 10 game unbeaten run, but we also won''t replicate the 2 wins in 20 games run after Christmas as well. Those should even each other out.

Anyway, I fear The Boogie Man. Just because I fear something, doesn''t make it real.
[/quote]

Trust me, The Boogie Man is very real.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Well, hang on a bit Spencer. The apologist people are all currently saying "Well we never really expected to get poits out of Spurs, Chelsea and Arsenal... games against lesser teams will be the REAL test ".....blah blah blah.

As per usual, there are some who are are extremely selective in their facts to support opinions.[/quote]Fine. But shouldn''t that make the 15 games before that an easier run? The last time I checked you needed to play all teams home & away in a league season.The last 4 games only become relevant if we need points from them.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"]You could take the opposite approach to results last year as well in that, sure, we won''t replicate the 10 game unbeaten run, but we also won''t replicate the 2 wins in 20 games run after Christmas as well. Those should even each other out.

Anyway, I fear The Boogie Man. Just because I fear something, doesn''t make it real.[/quote]

[/quote]I don''t know how you can sleep at night. Does that mean bed / pant wetting is also very real?[;)]

People are very fond of quoting events from last season, Theo.

And, as if to unwittingly make your point, the uncomfortable fact was that we DID indeed need points from our last four games to stay up.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]People are very fond of quoting events from last season, Theo.

And, as if to unwittingly make your point, the uncomfortable fact was that we DID indeed need points from our last four games to stay up.[/quote]No we didn''t.After we beat Reading at home 2-1, we had 4 games remaining and we were on 38 points. Wigan were relegated in 17th on 36 points. We could have lost our last 4 games, and stayed up by 2 points.So, what''s that point I unwittingly made again?

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I don''t know how you can sleep at night. Does that mean bed / pant wetting is also very real?

[;)]

[/quote]

Oh all the time............and damp too.[:D]

We are still struggling to create chances, something that has not changed since last season.

He bought players to fix that problem but we''ve not even seen a hint of change.

We still look more threatening at set pieces, stoke away is an example of this. Despite winning we didn''t create a lot.

Same goes for arsenal. People saying we had 6 shots. Well only 1 was inside the box. 2 were daisy cutters and 1 extremely wayward.

The wolf has only ave 1 shot per game. Hooper was just as isolated on Saturday as was Holt last season.

Our forwards only seem to receive the ball 40yds out with their backs to goal.

Hooper and the wolf are poachers. If you look at thre goals, they can finish. Unfortunately we are not providing them with the chances they thrive on. Just tepid crosses.

That''s why I fear relegation.

[quote user="The ghost of Michael Theoklitos"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]People are very fond of quoting events from last season, Theo.

And, as if to unwittingly make your point, the uncomfortable fact was that we DID indeed need points from our last four games to stay up.[/quote]No we didn''t.After we beat Reading at home 2-1, we had 4 games remaining and we were on 38 points. Wigan were relegated in 17th on 36 points. We could have lost our last 4 games, and stayed up by 2 points.So, what''s that point I unwittingly made again?[/quote]

Unfortunately although you are spot on Theo I''m sure Reggie will accuse you of being pedantic.

As for last season, I doubt we were lucky with points we picked up any more than we were unlucky with points we dropped. At the end of the day it depends on how you want to spin it. However the final table is a true reflection on the season and I don''t think anyone would seriously argue with that.

The fact that posters both negative and positive quote last season just goes to prove there is has not been enough games this season to back up the opinions. It will soon become clearer.