Sign in to follow this  
Indy

The big picture

Mr Hughton said for City fans to look at the bigger picture!

Well ok, let’s look at the bigger picture:

We did indeed have a great run not losing in 10 games and we finished in 11th place on 44 points, GD of -17 and conceded 58 goals. Not too bad for a new manager with a new squad.

Previous season we finished in 12th place on 47 points, GD -14 conceded 66 goals. Better points total with cheaper squad. Probably a fair comparison as Lambert did this off of 2 promotions in our first year back.

We are now into our third season with a net spend of more than 30 million over the past two seasons we sit in the bottom 3, but as pointed out 1 point better than this time last year!

Funny enough last season first 8 games!

August

18 Aug, 15:00 Fulham 5 - 0 Norwich City

25 Aug, 15:00 Norwich City 1 - 1 Queens Park Rangers  1

September

1 Sep, 15:00 Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 1 Norwich City  1

15 Sep, 12:45 Norwich City 0 - 0 West Ham United 

23 Sep, 15:00 Newcastle United 1 - 0 Norwich City 

29 Sep, 15:00 Norwich City 2 - 5 Liverpool 

October

6 Oct, 15:00 Chelsea 4 - 1 Norwich City 

20 Oct, 17:30 Norwich City 1 - 0 Arsenal 

Total of 6 points the same as this point last year but the Arsenal game was the start of the 10 game unbeaten run.

The biggest problem Hughton has is Expectation! This season has indeed been frustrating given the performances and results not been to the fans expectations against the money spent, I for one thought we would be on 10 points at least by now.

There is no doubt that the quality of the players here is a vast improvement and nodisrespct to the boys of 2 seasons ago, Holty, Surman, Barnet, etc. they did a fantastic job to get us here and keep us here but Fer, RVW, Olsson and the others are a step up and I agree it might take them a few month’s to really find their feet in this team and league. We are indeed seeing an improvement in the level of control during games.

The sad fact is that the premiership is such a big prize that those promoted have power to spend too, so the days of the promoted three going back down is not a likely as it was s good few years back.

On the whole how can anyone not be sitting on the fence regarding Hughton? His achievements for us and the signings cannot be argued with, but the lack of form and style of the performances do also need to questioned.

Last thing I get from this interview, it’s not about the system but how you play, that’s very true and it’s up to the coaches and manger to get the right players to play your system, motivated and confident, all sounds like City are ready for tomorrow and I think Cardiff might be in for a bit of hiding! Time for the players to step it up for the manager!

[quote user="Indy"]

Mr Hughton said for City fans to look at the bigger picture!

Well ok, let’s look at the bigger picture:

We did indeed have a great run not losing in 10 games and we finished in 11th place on 44 points, GD of -17 and conceded 58 goals. Not too bad for a new manager with a new squad.

Previous season we finished in 12th place on 47 points, GD -14 conceded 66 goals. Better points total with cheaper squad. Probably a fair comparison as Lambert did this off of 2 promotions in our first year back.

We are now into our third season with a net spend of more than 30 million over the past two seasons we sit in the bottom 3, but as pointed out 1 point better than this time last year!

Funny enough last season first 8 games!

August

18 Aug, 15:00 Fulham 5 - 0 Norwich City

25 Aug, 15:00 Norwich City 1 - 1 Queens Park Rangers  1

September

1 Sep, 15:00 Tottenham Hotspur 1 - 1 Norwich City  1

15 Sep, 12:45 Norwich City 0 - 0 West Ham United 

23 Sep, 15:00 Newcastle United 1 - 0 Norwich City 

29 Sep, 15:00 Norwich City 2 - 5 Liverpool 

October

6 Oct, 15:00 Chelsea 4 - 1 Norwich City 

20 Oct, 17:30 Norwich City 1 - 0 Arsenal 

Total of 6 points the same as this point last year but the Arsenal game was the start of the 10 game unbeaten run.

The biggest problem Hughton has is Expectation! This season has indeed been frustrating given the performances and results not been to the fans expectations against the money spent, I for one thought we would be on 10 points at least by now.

There is no doubt that the quality of the players here is a vast improvement and nodisrespct to the boys of 2 seasons ago, Holty, Surman, Barnet, etc. they did a fantastic job to get us here and keep us here but Fer, RVW, Olsson and the others are a step up and I agree it might take them a few month’s to really find their feet in this team and league. We are indeed seeing an improvement in the level of control during games.

The sad fact is that the premiership is such a big prize that those promoted have power to spend too, so the days of the promoted three going back down is not a likely as it was s good few years back.

On the whole how can anyone not be sitting on the fence regarding Hughton? His achievements for us and the signings cannot be argued with, but the lack of form and style of the performances do also need to questioned.

Last thing I get from this interview, it’s not about the system but how you play, that’s very true and it’s up to the coaches and manger to get the right players to play your system, motivated and confident, all sounds like City are ready for tomorrow and I think Cardiff might be in for a bit of hiding! Time for the players to step it up for the manager!

[/quote]

God I pray you''re right Indy.

I can identify with this post Indy. It''s refreshing to take part in a thread without it being spun  to make positive or negative points. Chris Hughton is an honest manager. He fully accepts it''s his responsibility to make these new attacking options work. As I said elsewhere using last season to put a spin on this seasons results, either positive or negative, is understandable but pointless. It won''t be long before a clearer picture emerges from the current season''s results and that''s what the manager should be judged on.

And all I can say with my protracted responses on other threads Nutty, this is my feeling for the manager, he''s not perfect by any means but he completed the requisit last season. (none of us are perfect, not me anyway).

I do feel we will win tomorrow and I''m looking forward to the game.