Sign in to follow this  
Essex_Canary

David Marshall - To boo or not to boo

Seem to remember a rather swift post-Charlton, albeit without the Clingan style commentary that went with it. But he was certainly one in my book that didn''t appear to give a toss as we slipped downwards

[quote user="Essex_Canary"]Seem to remember a rather swift post-Charlton, albeit without the Clingan style commentary that went with it. But he was certainly one in my book that didn''t appear to give a toss as we slipped downwards[/quote]Now I would Boo him. However, I wouldn''t want to be accused of booing him because he was Scottish and not because of his lack of effort and swift exit from our club.....

I have never seen the point in booing any ex player returning to the club, it just winds them up to have a blinder against us.

We got half a million for him at a time we were desperate for cash, I don''t blame him, he was a good servant in an awful team.

We then get in Forster for a season and Ruddy the next, wouldn''t have happened if he''d stayed.

I''d cheer the guy.

To be perfectly honest, we have got more than enough issues to concern ourselves with at NCFC just now, particularly those that require us getting behind the men in yellow, to afford ourselves the luxury of booing a goalkeeper who was a bit-part player in a season 6 yrs ago.

[quote user="Local canary"]During a desperate season he was one of the few bright lights. I will clap him as I will be at the game unlike some others.[/quote]

You''re going to look a bit silly sat there at Bolton, clapping , and when someone (if anyone is sat within shouting distance) asks you what you are doing, you say "Clapping David Marshall"

What he said after relegation:

"I''ve no problems staying here,” Marshall said, “because I don''t think there are clubs lining up for any of the boys when we''ve just had 46 games to stay in the Championship and got relegated."

About a week later he was gone.

Shock horror a Championship/rubbish PL team standerd keeper leaves club when relegated to League One!!

How on earth can he do that? What kind of immoral evil human being is he leaving a football club he has no emotional attachment too, to better himself (possibly family too). I think we should perform a public execution. Hang him from the cross bar! And leave him there to warn all current and future players this is what happens when you leave.

There''s a very unsavoury theme beginning to emerge in this forum.

First, someone was suggesting sacrificing players.

Now, GP is advocating public executions at Carrow Rd.

What next. Mc Nally handing out KKK style white hhods before each game ?

Reggie, we need to convert carrow road into a coliseum, it''ll be sure to get the crowd roaring again. Might even be a cause for stadium expansion and safe standing again if it kicks off properly.

After all we have achieved over the last five years, are we not beyond petty spite over bit players like David Marshall?

After all, if he had stayed, he would have been part of it all. Like Clingan, by leaving Marshall was the loser. Isn''t that enough? Why bother with anything else?

Why would we boo him? he wasn''t that good and his fee probably was partly spent on bringing Holt to the club. Not to mention we might not have had Fraser Forster and then consequently Ruddy. We probably should be cheering him.

after Theo the worst keeper we have ever had.

made countless mistakes and cost us countless games! Derby at Home, Wolves away are 2 that I can remember

didnt care when we got relegated... it showed how low we had gone that people actually rated Marshall, Crofts and Fattison at that time...

Says it all really in his EDP article - ''I didn''t really fancy playing in League One''

There is a really good definition of the word ''Backbone'' in the dictionary, look it up sometime

Football is still a job for the players.  Part of our problem in those dark days was that we ended up with many players who weren''t bothered about the club.  It''s hardly a surprise many of them jumped ship when we went down and as has been pointed out, DM was one of the ones we could sell for a fee, given that we got in FF, a better keeper, for the next season we can''t really complain.

I always thought of DM as a solid championship level keeper, a good shot-stopper but not great, I''m slightly surprised he''s still first choice at Cardiff, let''s hope he doesn''t do anything to change my mind on Saturday.