Sign in to follow this  
vlad666

tracking back

With Arsenal''s opening goal being showed all the time I noticed something that annoys me more every time I watch it. Yeah, it''s a brilliant goal but watch our midfield. Howson, Fer and Pilkington just ambling back. So frustrating. I''m not slagging off the players because I thought Fer and Howson had good games. This really needs to be addressed and something which if you analyse the goals we concede is a common trend. If a player misplaces a pass or misses a a chance that''s fair enough but is there any excuse for not busting a gut out there tracking back?

[quote user="lappinitup"]Thet need Wiz to help them. He''s an expert at back tracking.........
[/quote]

Huzzah !

Have you checked whether either/both had just legged it the entire length of the pitch moments before? I don''t have the answer; just guessing.

Perhaps it''s advisable to keep one or two players further up the pitch in case we win the ball back and the break is on? Or do you feel that every single player should never stop running for the entire 90mins?

Do no other players from any other teams in the entire division ever exhibit the behaviour you describe? Is it unique to our team and our ''useless'' manager?

We''d lost the ball in an advanced position.

The midfield had tracked and indeed by the time Arsenal looked to penetrate our box we had got back in plenty of numbers. From there, the series of touches that led to Wilshere being 1 on 1 was exceptional.

I do sometimes wonder if our players aren''t as fit/committed as some other teams? We seem to get caught out a lot in counter attacks, & have difficulty getting support players in the box when we attack.

Fitness is such an important part of the game nowadays - & I always found that whatever skill I had disappeared completely when knackered.

The first goal had nothing to do with the lack of tracking back.

We had plenty of defenders to cover their attackers, however a little bit of hesitation and some excellent one touch passing and movement created a truly brilliant team goal.

Instead of looking for why we failed defensively, some lessons can be learned from why they were so successful.

In this case, movement.  It kills teams and defenses and is almost impossible to defend against.  Maybe we should try it sometime?

Snake[^o)]