Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Hughton Out

Could I just make a simple request? Can we see an end to the simplistic cries of ''Hughton out'' please? If you think we need a new manager, could you also follow it up with who should replace them? Calling for the manager to be sacked is far too simplistic. You also have to replace him with somebody better. Lets please also hear who you think would be attainable and better

What does it matter? We have a very highly paid chief executive to make those decisions i wasnt aware it was down to random posters on a message board. How many people wanted Lambert on here? How did that work out? He will take us down where many more capable managers wouldn''t.

Yeah let''s get rid of our manager and replace him with Malky... the manager that took off two attacking players for two defensive minded players at half-time, while playing the team 3rd from bottom and the game at 0-0. The hypocrisy on this forum is unreal. Who are the genuine replacements if Hughton left??? Holloway? Malky? Pulis? O''Neil?? Eurgh, people seem to forget that we have a young but promising manager at our club who I well respected amongst the football community of which have a greater understanding of the game than most of you key board warriors.

rant over and breath.

6 wins in 30 would suggest otherwise.

Malky''s adjustments at the half were absolutely appropriate. They were being peppered with shots and looked ready to collapse. Second half our scoring opportunities seemed much less threatening.

[quote user="JF"]Young promising manager!? He''s 54!![/quote]

[:D]That''s young to some.

I see Southampton''s decision to get shot of Adkins is still biting them in the arse! Wonder how many of their fans suggested the new manager?

Are us fans in the business of scouting managers? Just because the only names in this country that float about are O''Neill and Di Matteo doesn''t mean there isn''t much better on the continent.

Don''t be an idiot.

That was a real b*ll end comment there !! Clueton took off our two best attacking players with 20 mins to go ...at  home ...to a team one point above us !!!

He is a reincarnation of Bryan Gunn ... with a wig !

[quote user="Bristol Canary"]Yeah let''s get rid of our manager and replace him with Malky... the manager that took off two attacking players for two defensive minded players at half-time, while playing the team 3rd from bottom and the game at 0-0. The hypocrisy on this forum is unreal. Who are the genuine replacements if Hughton left??? Holloway? Malky? Pulis? O''Neil?? Eurgh, people seem to forget that we have a young but promising manager at our club who I well respected amongst the football community of which have a greater understanding of the game than most of you key board warriors.

rant over and breath. [/quote]

[quote user="Barclay seats 4849 the 3rd"]

That was a real b*ll end comment there !! Clueton took off our two best attacking players with 20 mins to go ...at  home ...to a team one point above us !!!

[/quote]
Anybody with a brain could see that Howson was cream crackered. 

Can we please put this red herring to bed for once and for all?

The Premier League is arguably the best league in the world, it is certainly one of the strongest in depth and is awash with money. Most managers in other countries would give their right arm to manage Norwich, given their Premier League status and the financial rewards we are able to offer. Yet time and again, the answer to those who want Hughton replaced is to put them on the spot and ask them who would replace him.

Failure by the average fan to name a suitable replacement is not a reason for keeping someone in the job if he is not up to it. It is the Chairman''s job to make himself aware of up and coming managers worldwide, not the job of Norwich City fans.

[quote user="budgiebird"]

Can we please put this red herring to bed for once and for all?

The Premier League is arguably the best league in the world, it is certainly one of the strongest in depth and is awash with money. Most managers in other countries would give their right arm to manage Norwich, given their Premier League status and the financial rewards we are able to offer. Yet time and again, the answer to those who want Hughton replaced is to put them on the spot and ask them who would replace him.

Failure by the average fan to name a suitable replacement is not a reason for keeping someone in the job if he is not up to it. It is the Chairman''s job to make himself aware of up and coming managers worldwide, not the job of Norwich City fans.

[/quote]
Yes because every single manager in every single league in the world can speak English and understands English football. Let''s just go and pluck some random manager from Brazil because he plays nice football, so that he can come into a league which he doesn''t understand with his full time translator to play a 3-3-4 formation and ask Michael Turner why he doesn''t dribble the length of the pitch like his old centre back used to do in Brazil. 
I think it is only fair for those who have a strong belief that the board should sack Hughton to have a rough idea of who they would consider a superior option, for they are expecting the board to have one. 
It is hardly "putting somebody on the spot" to ask who they would replace him with, if they have a strong opinion on whether Hughton should go or not then they should have had plenty of time to think about who they would like to see instead.

A lack of an English speaking manager isnt hurting Southampton is it? The point is there would be no shortage of managers wanting this job now, leave it till its to late and that wont be the case.

I''m surprised that the current management team still continue to enjoy such staunch support on this board. Having taken us to the brink of relegation last season, we are a quarter of the way through the next season, and this time, already firmly rooted in the relegation zone.

Once again we have witnessed the limititations of our management team. We need two strikers on the pitch against teams such as Cardiff which are ''must win'' not ''must not lose'' matches. Perhaps, then the odd one of these chances might actually go in. We need a manager who has the tactical ability to change a match - following the changes made by Malky we were completely toothless in the second half.

Why or why would you substitute Hooper and Howson when the former looked the most likely in the team to score, and the latter was our best player (again) today? We do not know how to break down teams and score goals.

I suspect that the management team will limp on until the November break. Hopefully, it is not already too late by then.

They will still be backing him when he takes us down. Many of these complacent posters of course believe in fairies. 

3 points off 9th place? Hardly rooted in the relegation zone is it? As others have pointed out, Howson was tired, Hooper, although working hard, wasn''t having sucess, I must admit I would have preferred RvW to Elmander though.

[quote user="JF"]A lack of an English speaking manager isnt hurting Southampton is it? The point is there would be no shortage of managers wanting this job now, leave it till its to late and that wont be the case.[/quote]
People talk about Pochettino like there are hundreds of him all over the world waiting to be discovered by clubs like ours, and that is why they supposedly can''t name them. But expect the board to be able to, because they should be in the know and have a list of Pochettino''s in their top drawer.
The man managed in La Liga, not the Uzbekistan second division, it is one of the top four leagues in the world and he was Espanyol manager for three years and was an Argentina international. He wasn''t some Jose Mourinho or Arsene Wenger who came from nowhere. 
Neither is appointing a manager like that always a good idea, because it could have been a disaster. Just because we can go and appoint a fancy foreign manager from La Liga or Eredivisie doesn''t mean that we will suddenly become great overnight, it could mean the opposite. 
Steve McLaren did a great job in Holland, won the league, being foreign doesn''t automatically make you a great manager, neither does having success elsewhere mean that you will achieve it in every job (just ask Martin O''Neill). 
Southampton also have the best football academy in the country, which they can thank for three or four of their first team players, and spent more on two players in the summer than we did on all of our signings put together - something which we might have been able to do ourselves if we had a youth team churning out Luke Shaw''s and Ward-Prowses. 
Hughton is expected to be in the top half with Southampton and co because he got to spend £14m on a couple of strikers. 
Southampton have beaten our transfer record three or four times since coming up:
Gaston Ramirez £12m
Victor Wanyama £12.5m
Osvaldo £12.8m
If you have three players which cost a combined £37.3m and you have the best academy system in the country then you stand a good chance. When you get £25m and need to pretty much completely overhaul a squad at a club with an academy which hasn''t produced a Premier League standard outfield player since 1996 you can''t automatically expect things to be easy in this league, especially when 4 of your first 8 games come against teams who can spend your transfer budget for two seasons on one player (e.g. Torres, e.g. Ozil).
We will always struggle in this league, we will probably always be a mediocre mid-table team no matter who the manager is. 
There is a manager that I would love to see here, but we have to wait for him to be sacked by Man Utd first.

It''s too late already, this season smells of relegation with a whimper. On reflection it was probably obvious we were going to get relegated when they launched that poxy pyjamas kit, and it''s obvious we''ll never score with Snodgrass on the wing because he''s the best defender on the pitch for the other team. One more loss and scoreless draw to West Ham and Crystal Palace and that''ll be it...

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]1) Baby Faced Assassin2) Roberto Di Mateo[/quote]
1). Solskjear has stated that he would not move from Scandinavia until his kids finish school. 
2). Di Matteo has a worse managerial record than Chris Hughton, in fact Hughton even beat Di Matteo to the Championship title when they both got promotions. Then one got sacked in 11th place, and the other got sacked in the relegation zone. Not the answer. You like him because he has a cool name, is good looking, and you think that because he was a creative player his teams will play creative football. They will not, because he is a conservative manager. 

I cant help feeling a certain inevitability about things at the moment, for the last season and so far this one. I have never felt confident that we are going to score, I had hoped after last season that things would be put right over the summer but despite some superior players namely Olsson and Fer I still feel we arnt going to be able to be clinical enough to score the goals we need. To compound that Hughton hasn''t shown me he''s tactically aware enough to be able to change anything mid game to something that would work better for the way that game is going. He has a "Plan A" and "Plan A" had better well work, unfortunately in most cases so far it''s hasn''t.

At the end of the day today felt like a must win game and despite a good performance we failed. We have a terrible run of fixtures at the end of the season, i''m happy to give Hughton another two league games but there needs to be three points from them, or imo he needs to go.

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]1) Baby Faced Assassin2) Roberto Di Mateo[/quote]
1). Solskjear has stated that he would not move from Scandinavia until his kids finish school. 
2). Di Matteo has a worse managerial record than Chris Hughton, in fact Hughton even beat Di Matteo to the Championship title when they both got promotions. Then one got sacked in 11th place, and the other got sacked in the relegation zone. Not the answer. You like him because he has a cool name, is good looking, and you think that because he was a creative player his teams will play creative football. They will not, because he is a conservative manager. 
[/quote]What planet are you on ?I like him because frankly Colin Wanker is higher up my preference list to Chris Hooton. ( And yes i know i spelt his name wrong out of contempt ! )

[quote user="Surfer"]It''s too late already, this season smells of relegation with a whimper. On reflection it was probably obvious we were going to get relegated when they launched that poxy pyjamas kit, and it''s obvious we''ll never score with Snodgrass on the wing because he''s the best defender on the pitch for the other team. One more loss and scoreless draw to West Ham and Crystal Palace and that''ll be it...[/quote]

For goodness sake.9 bloody games. You can''t have thrown the towel in already.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]

I cant help feeling a certain inevitability about things at the moment, for the last season and so far this one. I have never felt confident that we are going to score, I had hoped after last season that things would be put right over the summer but despite some superior players namely Olsson and Fer I still feel we arnt going to be able to be clinical enough to score the goals we need. To compound that Hughton hasn''t shown me he''s tactically aware enough to be able to change anything mid game to something that would work better for the way that game is going. He has a "Plan A" and "Plan A" had better well work, unfortunately in most cases so far it''s hasn''t.

At the end of the day today felt like a must win game and despite a good performance we failed. We have a terrible run of fixtures at the end of the season, i''m happy to give Hughton another two league games but there needs to be three points from them, or imo he needs to go.

[/quote]
So basically he gets the West Ham game then, because we aren''t beating Man City.
I said before this game that I expect two wins out of our three home games. So for me that leaves us needing to win our next two home games. 
West Ham and Crystal Palace. 
A point at Newcastle wouldn''t do us any harm either.
If we are in the relegation zone on 30th November after Palace at home then it is time to part company to give the new manager a month to decide how he will invest a modest January transfer budget. 
There is no point waiting until much long after that, because we''d need the new man in before the transfer window. The problem is that I can see a few rats attempting to jump the sinking ship if we don''t turn things around. 
30th November was the date that I gave last week and I am sticking by that, I said a minimum of 7 points is required from 5. We now need 6 points in our next 4 games. 

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"]1) Baby Faced Assassin2) Roberto Di Mateo[/quote]
[/quote]What planet are you on ?I like him because frankly Colin Wanker is higher up my preference list to Chris Hooton. ( And yes i know i spelt his name wrong out of contempt ! )[/quote]
You are the nexus between irrationality and stupidity.

Just did a bit of research on Internet trying to find some alternative managerial options. Really I think you need to have a successful recruitment policy like Southampton have! But I came up with Thomas Tuchel and Luis Garcia Plaza (have fun googling all!)