Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Would a new manager really improve our chances?

It would take them 5 or 6 games to learn his players. 
I think we have a much better chance of survival under Hughton, can''t think of a single worthwhile candidate. 
You all want Hughton out, but the names put forward are ridiculous.
We have heard Malky Mackay (spent £30m, got dominated by us today), Ian Holloway (a bloody nutcase who quit Palace because he didn''t have faith in his own ability to keep a team up), Gus Poyet (heaviest Sunderland defeat of the season in first game, they will get thrashed tomorrow).
Any more stupid ideas? 
We have a manager who the players want to play for, giving 100% for him, and when we get a new manager we don''t get a new squad..... 
... I think that we really need to get behind them. 

Sleepwalk into relegation because you are afraid of change you mean , at the moment we are heading down .Villa came to Carrow Road with a long record of failing to keep a clean sheet away they got one , Cardiff had not kept a clean sheet away this season, they got one .Sothampton had the bottle to sack Atkins against popular opinion , i doubt you could find anybody now who would say that was a wrong decision , yes its a risk but we are third bottom , not winning and our strikers couldnt buy a goal , a new man may not be able to improve things but by the same token he probably would be hard pressed to do any worse than Hughton .

[quote user="yellowandgreenmachine"]Di Matteo.[/quote]
Hughton = Led us to 11th in the league but criticised for not winning enough games, is under pressure in October as we are in the relegation zone.
Di Matteo = Sacked by West Brom in January while they were in the relegation zone after 1 win in 10 (Michael Appleton then kept them up). Fluked some success at Chelsea after being caretaker manager for 2 months at a club where the players manage themselves.
Makes me laugh, Di Matteo is bloody replica of Hughton, liked because he is a good guy but plays careful conservative football in this league and has a record of underachievement. 
Di Matteo''s biggest achievement is promotion from the Championship, West Brom finished 2nd under his leadership. Who finished 1st in that season and who was their manager? Answers on a postcard. 

Di Matteo and Hughton came up into this league together, one as Champion one as not a champion, one got sacked in the relegation zone and the other got sacked in mid-table. And yet we are supposed to believe that this bloke would be the messiah who would save our club from our "plight" (if we can call it that, I''m not all that worried yet) and play attractive attacking football and score loads of goals, despite him having absolutely no record of getting a team to do that consistently in this league. Unless you count a couple of months at Chelsea, where he managed to get the credit for something which he didn''t really achieve (takes an entire season to win the Champions League, not 6 weeks). 

we need new coaching staff as well ,there was a lot of suspicion around trollope and calderwood initially and nothing has really been done to disprove the theories on them being fkn useless

the club needs a change of mentality, a lift, we need a motivator/man manager, not a nice competent coach in charge

in an ideal world we would re position mr hughton to the defensive side of the coaching staff and bring in someone with a giant pair of balls to instill some confidence and belief, and some new tactical ideas

Thats a really good question Le Juge, and very difficult to answer. Particularly as right now I''m not sure there is anyone available that would do a better job, and that includes Di Matteo.....I have to question that if he is so good then why hasnt he been snapped up already? I personally could suggest a couple of alternatives, but they certainly wouldnt be popular amongst many on this board, plus as right now I dont believe thats whats required. Incidentally, CH was certainly not one of my choices when he joined and I am actually not a huge fan, contrary to what it may appear. I just believe that he actually took over a very very difficult situation from PL, did well last season with very limited resources, and that whilst this is very frustrating right now, from what I have seen in terms of signings and recent performances believe we will come through this.    

I think Norwich were hamstrung by their debt to a greater degree than most realise. We''ve had to make do and mend until recently, not really having had the chance to maintain a consistent strategy. I don''t think changing the manager would really be wise at this point, especially since we''re only a win away from mid-table.

[quote user="JonnyH"]I think Norwich were hamstrung by their debt to a greater degree than most realise. We''ve had to make do and mend until recently, not really having had the chance to maintain a consistent strategy. I don''t think changing the manager would really be wise at this point, especially since we''re only a win away from mid-table.[/quote]

Complete b*****ks. Read it back and think about what you''ve said.

[quote user="Scooby"]Simple answer to the OP, with the right man, yes.[/quote]
With the right man, yes.
With the wrong man, could make things worse.
If you all think that the board have got this appointment wrong, then what makes you think that the next one would be better? 
McNally deservedly got a lot of credit for bringing Lambert to this club, but that doesn''t mean that his track record is 100% successful. 
"The grass is always greener", and then you get Lawrie Sanchez.

There have been plenty of studies done and the facts speak for themselves. Changing managers has no effect. I thought that myth had finally been exploded by Harry Houdini last season.

[quote user="Scooby"][quote user="JonnyH"]I think Norwich were hamstrung by their debt to a greater degree than most realise. We''ve had to make do and mend until recently, not really having had the chance to maintain a consistent strategy. I don''t think changing the manager would really be wise at this point, especially since we''re only a win away from mid-table.[/quote]

Complete b*****ks. Read it back and think about what you''ve said.[/quote]
What he said sounded pretty accurate to me.
We have had to try and make up for a huge under investment in our squad, particularly the attack, and are now having to desperately try to bed in four new attacking players and a centre midfielder who are beginning to gel. 

[quote user="Highland Canary"]It didn''t seen to do Southampton much harm.[/quote]
Southampton have smashed our transfer record three times in the past 16 months, they have three £12m players, and the best youth academy in the country with three or four youth products playing in their first team.
They were gifted £33m in cash by their former owner, and they are still owned by his family - one of the richest families in Europe. We had to take £13m out of our footballing budget last season to pay a debt (I think), are not owned by one of the richest families in the country, cannot purchase £12m players, and have not produced a Premier League standard outfield player since 1996. 
Please try and find a better club to compare ourselves too. 

[quote user="ricardo"]There have been plenty of studies done and the facts speak for themselves. Changing managers has no effect. I thought that myth had finally been exploded by Harry Houdini last season.[/quote]So us changing Gunn for Lambert had no effect in your opinion ?

New Boy, you really are digging a hole - why mention people like holloway, Mackey and Poyet?

There are God only knows how many managers plying their trade very we''ll across Europe and Asia.

Should the seat become vacant I am sure McNally and co will spread their net across this area rather than look to the failures you mention.

Come on down ole Gunnar solsjkar - now at Molde, 59% win ratio! and highly respected in Europe.

[quote user="City 2nd"]New Boy, you really are digging a hole - why mention people like holloway, Mackey and Poyet?

There are God only knows how many managers plying their trade very we''ll across Europe and Asia.

Should the seat become vacant I am sure McNally and co will spread their net across this area rather than look to the failures you mention.

Come on down ole Gunnar solsjkar - now at Molde, 59% win ratio! and highly respected in Europe.[/quote]And how good a standard would you say the Norwegian league is compared to the Premiership?

Coached Man Utd reserves after retiring, was wanted by a Villa and turned them down pre Lambert, turned down Norway national team coach, and has won title in consecutive seasons with Molde, taking them into Europe.

A much admired coach and tactician who learnt from the very best at a United. I would say a good prospect.

Honestly What tw@t would say winning the champions league a fluke!?!?

Then compare hughton the same as him.

My god. We WILL go down with hughton. We will stay up with the likes of Di Matteo.

This type of fan needs to do one along with hughton. Get the blinkers off. Join the hughton out gang!!!!

[quote user="City 2nd"]New Boy, you really are digging a hole - why mention people like holloway, Mackey and Poyet?

Come on down ole Gunnar solsjkar - now at Molde, 59% win ratio! and highly respected in Europe.[/quote]The same Ole Gunnar Solsjkear who has said that he wouldn''t leave Scandinavia until his kids have finished school unless it was for the Man Utd job....

The New Boy (Le Juge) wrote the following post at 2013-10-27 12:

The same Ole Gunnar Solsjkear who has said that he wouldn''t leave Scandinavia until his kids have finished school unless it was for the Man Utd job....

Perhaps McNally should go and ask forthwith.

Mike Phelan- worked with AF and ready to try his hand. Worth a gamble?

Tony Pulis- never seen a team relegated. Maybe too much like CH but maybe better coaching team

Malky - great shout, too man seems good

Martin O''Neil- needs to prove himself again. Would suit NCFC I think

All better names than suggested thus far

[quote user="alartz"]Honestly What tw@t would say winning the champions league a fluke!?!?

Then compare hughton the same as him.

My god. We WILL go down with hughton. We will stay up with the likes of Di Matteo.

This type of fan needs to do one along with hughton. Get the blinkers off. Join the hughton out gang!!!![/quote]He was the caretaker manager of a team that he was previously assistant manager of, which is well known for its very high level of player control in the dressing room, who inherited the reigns of a team that was already in the Quarter-final of the Champions League and already in the Quarter-final of the FA Cup.He played a part in their success that season, but calling him a "Champions League Winning Manager" and "FA Cup Winning Manager" after 6 weeks in the job is ridiculous. He got some credit and deserved it, but you don''t win those competitions in 6 weeks, you win those competitions over 36 weeks. A steller six weeks as caretaker manager after being assistant to the previous manager does not suddenly make him Josep Guardiola. If the football world thought like you then he would be being linked to the top jobs in world football instead of Sunderland and Crystal Palace (his options so far this season). He is on the dole queue because his CV so far is a sacking at West Brom, 6 weeks as a caretaker manager, and then getting sacked by Chelsea three months into his first season as permanent manager.If you can so confidently exclaim that Di Matteo would become the next messiah and solve all of our problems so we should sack our manager for him then you are the type of fan that this club doesn''t need. You are pretty much suggesting that we fight it out with the likes of Crystal Palace for our next manager, how ambitious - how great it is that we can pick up a twice sacked manager in the Premier League bargain bin.

[quote user="ricardo"]There have been plenty of studies done and the facts speak for themselves. Changing managers has no effect. I thought that myth had finally been exploded by Harry Houdini last season.[/quote]Link us one of these studies then, the last time someone said this it turned out they hadn''t even read the paper they were citing.I think its a bit silly to suggest that there literally isn''t a better manager in the whole world who would be willing to come to us, clearly there are going to be a fair few given the superior coaching and tactics in continental europe and the amount of money we could offer compared to foreign clubs.The question should be ''do our board have the right knowledge to pick one?'', and I''m not convinced they do. Given the choice of sticking with Hughton or appointing some washed up out of work British manager I''d stick with Hughton, but if McNally has a Pocchetino or a Laudrup up his sleeve then getting rid should definitely be something worth thinking about.

I think people are often too quick to think that a new manager  will get more from a squad of players. The decision the board have to make is to decide when they think the current manager can''t get more from his squad of players. There is no doubt we are gradually seeing an improvement. Today''s performance was a country mile ahead of games earlier in the season. If we''d have sacked Hughton after Hull and the new manager had overseen this improvement I think people would have been more happy with it!!

But if the time comes that the board don''t think the manager can get any improvement then sacking the manager is the only realistic option.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think people are often too quick to think that a new manager  will get more from a squad of players. The decision the board have to make is to decide when they think the current manager can''t get more from his squad of players. There is no doubt we are gradually seeing an improvement. Today''s performance was a country mile ahead of games earlier in the season. If we''d have sacked Hughton after Hull and the new manager had overseen this improvement I think people would have been more happy with it!!

But if the time comes that the board don''t think the manager can get any improvement then sacking the manager is the only realistic option.

[/quote]

Place thumb and forefinger onto splinter and PULL!!!