Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Statistics do not lie

[quote user="City 2nd"]we''re clearly creating enough chances compared to other teams, it''s the efficiency. And a large part of that comes down to luck any way.

So we aren''t doing anything wrong then. 4 shots on target inside the box is you say acceptable? However look at your list - those clubs mentioned might have had the same, less or more, BUT THEY SCORED! We didn''t. And those that didn''t are where in the league?[/quote]
Read before you post. I know we didn''t score, I mentioned our efficiency (our ability to convert shots into goals) as an issue, which it it. What I''m disputing is the fact we didn''t create enough today. 

An offense-minded coach would develop and practice plays. Our corners are going to waste. Nobody has any idea othet than to head it towards goal, and unless it''s a perfect corner and the defenders are out of position, there will be no goal.

Ricky Lambert'' s go al today was a good example of a play they''ve worked on.

Likewise, we need to develop some plays that create better, clearer scoring opportunities from open play.

D''uh!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]An offense-minded coach would develop and practice plays. Our corners are going to waste. Nobody has any idea othet than to head it towards goal, and unless it''s a perfect corner and the defenders are out of position, there will be no goal.

Ricky Lambert'' s go al today was a good example of a play they''ve worked on.

Likewise, we need to develop some plays that create better, clearer scoring opportunities from open play.

D''uh![/quote]
No, it wasn''t. Lambert just headed towards the far post, like any player would. It was more the lax marking of Berbatov than any genius set play. Anyway, I seem to remember us almost scoring from a short corner with Olsson and then again with Fer?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]"Almost"[/quote]
Maybe I misunderstood his point, but I believe he was talking about how ineffective our set pieces are? If you come close to scoring from a set piece multiple times in one game, then I don''t think you can argue that your set pieces were very poor. 
Anyway, now that I think about it, his point doesn''t make lot of sense anyway. He argues the need for an offensive-minded coach so he can develop set plays but one of the most ingenious developers of set plays is Sam Allardyce, and he''s about as defensive as they come.

Lambert wasn''t there by accident. The assist seemed deliberate.

As for Allardyce being defensive but devloping attacking plays, WHATEVER! The point is our team doesn''t seem to get many clear scoring chances because every time we''re in their zone, we are squeezed out as the other team clogs the box. That''s because we take too long to set anything up. The attackers need structured practiced techniques.

You must have missed the 2 free headers that Martin had today from set pieces. Both of them should have at least hit the target.

That''s just off the top of my head. There may have been others, but I might be forgetting them amongst the other 29 attempts at goal we had.

To bring the lambert goal into it is crazy. That was borne out of complete defensive ineptitude from Berbatov, despite the best efforts of Parker to direct him.

For a starter it would be great if someone taught Tettey how to keep his shots low. He often gets into shooting positions, but his efforts, as far as I remember, usually hit Row Z. Row K would be big progress for him.

QHc, a free header is not usually an organized, planned and practiced play.

We don''t seem to have any of those. A flick on, a far post header back into the middle to someone who has peeled away from his cover, that sort of thing, which is EXACTLY how Lambert''s goal was played.