Sign in to follow this  
Yellow Wal

Could we be in for a surprise tomorrow?

With all that has been said will we see a change of approach against Cardiff?

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Redmond Fer Howson Pilkington

Hooper van Wolfswinkel

Yeah would be harsh on Howson, playing him after scoring. Deserves dropping. Scoring away from home, who does he think he is?

Why change a midfield combo that''s working? Tettey has been excellent but obviously Howson will receive the plaudits because he scored.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]With all that has been said will we see a change of approach against Cardiff?

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

Redmond Fer Howson Pilkington

Hooper van Wolfswinkel[/quote]

Hughton said there may be occasions where he could use Hooper and RVW together high up the pitch but it wouldn''t be often. He also talked about the possibility of playing Hooper in the role he played Elmander earlier in the season. This could be the first time he''s had all three fit at the same time so it will not only be interesting to see who starts but also how he uses the attacking options from the bench if necessary.

I don''t know enought about Cardiff - what''s their midfield like, what formation do they play ?

Against Spurs we played 2 up front at the start, and our midfield 2 were left hopelessly outnumbered, as a result we saw little of the ball, our strikers were mainly wasted, and we were never in the game as a contest.

Hooper showed last week that he''s more of a goal-poacher whereas RVW has more of a complete game, but unless we''ll be competitive in midfield, neither of them will be really effective.

I for one hope not, I think we look a far better side with Tettey, Fer & Howson running the midfield.

For me I would defo start with Redmond for his pace and drop Snodders or Pilks to the bench, keep Hooper up top and RVW & Elmander on the bench for options. I think we will run Cardiff all over the pitch and Redmond will have a field day, can see a 3-0 tomorrow.

[quote user="Indy"]

I for one hope not, I think we look a far better side with Tettey, Fer & Howson running the midfield.

For me I would defo start with Redmond for his pace and drop Snodders or Pilks to the bench, keep Hooper up top and RVW & Elmander on the bench for options. I think we will run Cardiff all over the pitch and Redmond will have a field day, can see a 3-0 tomorrow.

[/quote]

I think its going to be a frustrating afternoon, Cardiff parking the bus, time wasting, players falling over at the slightest touch. We know all the tricks.

The crowd putting pressure on Hughton who then makes a tactical error in substitutes as he chases the game and concedes a breakaway would be my worst case scenario.,

Patience is the key to all.

OTBC

H

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]

I don''t know enought about Cardiff - what''s their midfield like, what formation do they play ?

Against Spurs we played 2 up front at the start, and our midfield 2 were left hopelessly outnumbered, as a result we saw little of the ball, our strikers were mainly wasted, and we were never in the game as a contest.

Hooper showed last week that he''s more of a goal-poacher whereas RVW has more of a complete game, but unless we''ll be competitive in midfield, neither of them will be really effective.

[/quote]

Against Fulham Cardiff played a kind of diamond midfield; Medel acts as a holding player with Bo-Kyung ahead of him. Whittingham plays on the left and Gunnarsson on the right - Whittingham pushes forward more than Gunnarsson who plays a deeper role both are fairly narrow with width coming from the full backs. Up front wasOdenwingie and Campbell - Odenwingie drops off to pick the ball up in deeper positions while Campbell plays on the shoulder of the last defender.

.Mutch came in for Campbell against Fulham to give them a 5 man midfield against Chelsea.

At home against Newcastle they also played a 5 man midfield, Campbell as the striker and Odenwingie on the right (although he difted around a lot to provide overloads in central midfield (both Newcastle goals came from Remy finding space on their left as Odenwingie''s movement left defensive gaps).

I''d presume Cardiff will be looking at this game like the Fulham game and might try the more attacking system.

Tettey, Fer and Howson with RVW if fit for me. Cardiff will try to stifle the game they will not want to lose. Early goal would be nice.

I think the players will be up for tomorrow from the off!

an early goal will lift the crowd and hopefully we an score 3 or 4.

like to see Hoops continue up front.

I think there will be a lot of questions answered when the final whistle blows. Are we really struggling or do we look to have enough to start moving up the table? Is the team starting to click? Can Hughton and the players deliver, or is it looking like time for a change. Can he pick the right formation and make the right substitutions? Very interesting stuff. Where we might put aside the Chelsea and Arsenal games, this is the time we can judge much more accurately. OTBC.

[quote user="Mike Hunt"]When I read the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about the amount of possession we had ie over 50 per cent[/quote]When I read your latest username Waveney I thought |I was going to be reading the incisive, witty and highly original musings of a comedy genius but alas!!....

I hope so.. but I wouldn''t like to second guess.

Wolf and Hooper up front would be a positive move, perhaps with Wes and Elmander in reserve on the bench.

The frustrating thing is the component parts of a good side are there, international quality players, debt free, elite category academy and exceptional supporters.  The problem appears to be putting it all together.

Too often we are caught on the counter or wasting possession, wingers make the wrong decision at the wrong time and the delivery to Wolf or Hooper suffers, for me the attack or defend debate has missed out that however we play it should be executed well and this is down to coaching. For sure performances have improved recently but this has to matched by results or we will reach a point where performances will meet expectations but insufficient time will be left to assure survival.

In the final analysis this sport is determined by results and this is  the only thing the CH management team should judged upon.  My concern is that we start to accept that 17th each season is acceptable, and that qualifying for Europe is not in our interests (how does a supporter paying for a ticket to the next League Cup match feel about this?).

OTBC! until next time. 

It''s Character Forming wrote the following post at 25/10/2013 11:44 AM:

I don''t know enought about Cardiff - what''s their midfield like, what formation do they play ?

------------------------------------------

Pretty comprehensive guide here:

http://cardiffkickaball.wordpress.com/

Thought I''d better elaborate on my point on coaching, the execution of our style of football is far more important than the style itself, sometimes we will be forced to adapt to different circumstances (suspensions, opposition or importance of points).

Even internationals need good coaching, what happens at Colney is the only thing that can improve the team to point where the mistakes in our play will be reduced or eliminated.

I won''t use the oft repeated word "negative" but perhaps we do tend to be more passive or reactive (the use of subs for example).

Good players coached well, pose more questions of the opposition rather than vice versa, execute a plan better, create more, score more and gain confidence.... that is my observation.

As for the rest, only time will tell what happens after Saturday but then plus ca change (as the French would put it)

Tettey must surely start, unless his form deserts him as it did last year. The other two central midfielders rely on him, and get further forward. The last thing we want is two central midfielders hanging back and with a big gap between them and the attackers.

Seriously think starting XI against arsenal is the way forward. Hooper will get more chances tomorrow at home against a very ordinary team. Wouldn''t be surprised if hooper gets double

I enjoy reading the different midfield setups we should take based on how the opposition plays, but won''t they adjust their lineups and formations to counter our perceived strengths?

We can''t be the only team to do that.

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]With all that has been said will we see a change of approach against Cardiff? Ruddy Martin Turner Bassong Olsson Redmond Fer Howson Pilkington Hooper van Wolfswinkel[/quote]

Errr No