Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

RvW and his part in the Fer 'goal'

Interesting reading Fer''s comments on the ''goal''. RvW was clearly a frustrated figure, first gesturing at Elmander and then secondly at Fer. After Fer did what he did, RvW straight away ran up to the ref, seemed to turn away as if to say no problems, then had a fracas with Marshall. Phil Thompson explained this as RvW being desperate to restart the game but being concerned that Marshall would time waste, so was encouraging Elmander to close Marshall down. When he seemed disinterested and moved away, he did the same with Fer, gesturing at Marshall/the goal, before ultimately taking the throw with anger and frustration. Fer said that RvW told him to put the ball in the net. Did Fer misunderstand RvWs gesture? Did Elmander correctly interpret RvWs intent and distance himdelf from it? We know Fer has owned up, but what do people think RvW''s part in it was?

I thought Fer told RVW of his intent and RVW wasnt too happy about it, Fer gestured to get on with it , RVW shrugged and did so.....then went to the ref to say ''all i did was throw it to him''. I couldnt beleive what i was watching. Will be Skyping a dutch mate tomo as we always discuss the w/e footy...i''ll find out then if they give the ball back to opponents in dutch game , as Fer said they didnt.

I would love to see this become the norm. I have never understood the "sportsmanship" of kicking a ball out.

Ok, I used to understand it with a serious injury, but this has developed over many years into often just nancy or scam behaviour.

The ref has the ability to stop the game for severe injury. Stop the players kicking the ball out unless they are really so very concerned that an opponent has a life threatening injury (that won''t happen often). It will certainly stop half the rolling about, see how quick they get to their feet, if they need attention they can ask the ref to leave the field.

I wouldn''t even kick the ball out for my own team, let alone the opposition.

I personally didn''t see anything wrong with the goal.

Marshall could have made the save if he really wanted to but he positioned himself such that he was more or less out of the field of play.

The knicker-wetting by the Cardiff players (at that time not knowing if the goal was going to be given or not) ensured the referee wasn''t ever going to allow it.

May have been a little bit unsportsmanlike but hey-ho.

In fairness surely Marshall positioned himself for RVW to throw the ball straight to him. There was no reason for the ball to go to Fer at all

I''ve got a feeling Fer was being mischievous by claiming that he intended to score. If his claim was true surely he would have kicked the ball into the goal with a bit more conviction instead of gently rolling it in?

David Marshall wasted time from the first minute. That''s not sportsmanship but it seems readily acceptable. I can guarantee you if Cardiff were 1-0 down he would have punted that straight up the pitch ignoring the injury, but we would be booing he didn''t kick it out?! Swings and roundabouts.

Marshall also stood well wide of the goal so he could control it and waste even more time. Fer was more than within his rights to kick the ball towards the goall...where the keeper should be? Partly marshals fault for being out of position?