Sign in to follow this  
tom cavendish

Reasons why I am concerned about Hughton

- He has spent a lot of money to sign 2 strikers who are not suited to playing as lone strikers, yet he plays them as lone strikers.- It took him a very long time to realise that Howson should only be played as a forward-midfielder.- It took him a very long time to realise that BJ is poor at passing the ball.- It took him a very long time to realise that we look a lot more solid in midfield when Tettey is playing.- It took him a very long time to realise that Pilkington is the best player at linking up with RvW- He continued to play inverted wingers against 10 men Hull so failed to create space to make the most of the extra player. - Playing Redmond on the left when he should be coming on for Snodgrass on the right.- His substitutions.However, a positive is that he does seem to be leaning albeit very slowly.

Yeah,I think a lot have noticed these faults. What to do about it is the fundamental question.

Strange - I thought The Wolf largely played as a loan striker in Portugal, and scored a lot of goals!  I must be wrong!

Pilkington and Tettey have both had slight injuries, and have started most games since overcoming these injuries.

Ricky played for a whole season as a lone striker in Lisbon, and Hooper has done it for Celtic too.

I''ve still got a few concerns about the fitness of the players, although we have brought in a new person in this area recently so maybe this will improve.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]- He has spent a lot of money to sign 2 strikers who are not suited to playing as lone strikers, yet he plays them as lone strikers.- It took him a very long time to realise that Howson should only be played as a forward-midfielder.- It took him a very long time to realise that BJ is poor at passing the ball.- It took him a very long time to realise that we look a lot more solid in midfield when Tettey is playing.- It took him a very long time to realise that Pilkington is the best player at linking up with RvW- He continued to play inverted wingers against 10 men Hull so failed to create space to make the most of the extra player. - Playing Redmond on the left when he should be coming on for Snodgrass on the right.- His substitutions.However, a positive is that he does seem to be leaning albeit very slowly.[/quote]

1.  He''s been working with Howson to get the best out of him.  Howson struggled under Lambert too.2.  BJ proved his worth last season in the absence of anyone better.3.  Tettey was injured and lacking in some confidence4.  Pilkington has always been a key player - when fully fit5.  Inverted wingers are the trend - Andros Townsend?6.  Redmond can play either side.  Snodgrass was better yesterday.7.  Substitutions - always an easy one to criticise.   Finally, that he is learning, there is no doubt.  Another reason why we will continue to improve.

As said above, completely agree.

Injuries have forced his hand. He said johnson was dropped for tactical reasons because tettey was then fully fit.Problem is hughtons not going to slate any of his players publicly, especially when he hasn''t got a fit and better replacement?

Imo pilks is one if the best players in the squad, but his injuries have hampered him improving, and he still doesn''t look fit. Snodgrass is finding form and I thought he was better than pilks yesterday. Also Redmond and snodgrass swapped wings when he came on, and they did at the start of the season.

With regards to the subs, hooper for elmander was slightly strange but I think as we created so much in the current formation he just wanted fresh legs. RvW probably shouldn''t be on the bench if he hadnt trained all week, but as he was apparently so keen to be involved.

I always look at the positives and its not as simple as throwing on strikers to score goals. People don''t understand what goes on during training or how players are feeling, it''s never that simple and it certainly isn''t football manager! He''s signed so many new players it takes time for it to fit together, and Chelsea/Cardiff games are starting to prove that.

[quote user="tom cavendish"]- He has spent a lot of money to sign 2 strikers who are not suited to playing as lone strikers, yet he plays them as lone strikers.- It took him a very long time to realise that Howson should only be played as a forward-midfielder.- It took him a very long time to realise that BJ is poor at passing the ball.- It took him a very long time to realise that we look a lot more solid in midfield when Tettey is playing.- It took him a very long time to realise that Pilkington is the best player at linking up with RvW- He continued to play inverted wingers against 10 men Hull so failed to create space to make the most of the extra player. - Playing Redmond on the left when he should be coming on for Snodgrass on the right.- His substitutions.However, a positive is that he does seem to be leaning albeit very slowly.[/quote]

How dare you voice your concern in such a manor " go support someone else" (if I was monty\morty (the hard man) I''d say this however as it happens OP I fully agree with yourself and I''m not prepared to happy clap our way to league 1 again.

@LDC

"Finally, that he is learning, there is no doubt. Another reason why we will continue to improve."

That and the fact that we can''t get much worse.