Sign in to follow this  
Mr Brownstone

On The Beach

So we head back to Man City again at the weekend, in desperate need of points, which got me thinking back to the final game of last season.

Several of us were of the opinion that despite our good performance that day, the result was contributed to by Manchini''s departure and the Citeh players being half way on the plane already after their disappointing attempt at a title defence (had they already lost to Wigan in the cup final by that time too?).

We were chastised for that opinion and told that we''d won purely on merit. Chastised by many of the same posters who have this season told us that we had no right to be disappointed that we didn''t take anything from Spurs, Chelsea or Arsenal.

So I was wondering, which way are you having it on Saturday guys? With Citeh still with everything to play for will we be repeating our result from the final day, or are we writing this one off already?

We need to pick up at least one or two points from these big boys in the course of the season.

For some reason I see Manchester City as the most vulnerable.

A point would do wonders to lift the gloom.

Both teams have big cup during this week but can''t see how it will detract for either. It may benefit us a bit as we will be used to the rarified footballing air up there by Saturday.

I will reluctantly say we will take 2 hidings in Manchester as well this week.

Why do you continually try to promote warfare on this site Brownie? Why not  just give your own opinion? If you want to quote other posters it would be helpful if you named them rather than referring to "us" and the "same posters". That way we''d know if you were telling porkies...

Continue to promote warfare?! Lol!

That''s a bit rich.

You''re the only poster I''ve had anything resembling cross words withs in months Nutty.

My opinion is there for all to see. I''ve not been shy in giving it one way or the other, so I''m not really sure what your point is? What''s your opinion Nutty? Are we going to win again?

I admit this thread was a little mischievous, but you can''t have it both ways.

[quote user="Herman "]I was hoping this was a link to the fantastic Neil Young song.[/quote]

I saw the poster and assumed it would be the Cliff Richard one.....

[;)]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Continue to promote warfare?! Lol!

That''s a bit rich.

You''re the only poster I''ve had anything resembling cross words withs in months Nutty.

My opinion is there for all to see. I''ve not been shy in giving it one way or the other, so I''m not really sure what your point is? What''s your opinion Nutty? Are we going to win again?

I admit this thread was a little mischievous, but you can''t have it both ways.[/quote]

I''m not trying to have it both ways. I also can''t remember having cross words with you. Reminds me a bit of what Healey said about Howe....

My point is that you like to put yourself on a pedestal and criticise others for doing exactly what you''ve done here. I''m always up for a bit of forum warfare if that''s now your bag[;)]

My opinion is that there''s so many different ways to view things. I remember a thread on here about how Cardiff gave it a right go to beat Man City. Today I read that they are the poorest side in the league. Such is football. As we see on Rays Funds, every week there are upsets that really make a joke out of the form book not just in the last 2 weeks of the season.

Going to City with a team that struggles to score and leaks goals does not bode well, last season City had no interest in the game,I fear a heavy defeat is on its way this time!

I haven''t put myself on a pedestal anywhere. I''ve been consistent with my views and opinion, and where I''ve been criticised childishly for those views and time has proven me correct I''m well within my rights to point it out.

So what''s your prediction for Saturday Nutty. Will we take the 3 points? My prediction is that we won''t unfortunately, I hope our improved form will continue but I feel City''s quality will prove too much. I hope we give a good accounting of ourselves so we can take some confidence into the West Ham game, which really is a must win.

No one realistically expects us to win against Man City in the same way no one realistically expected us to beat them away last season. But we did beat them last season and could do next week. I''ll be optimistic as that is my nature, most won''t, and many will be happy to see us lose in the hope that Hughton is sacked.Whatever happens, many on this forum will not be happy until Hughton is gone even if we battered Man City which is saddening but there''s nowt queer as folk, as they might say around the Etihad.

I find the phrase and concept of "On the beach" a bit of a strange concept, if I''m honest.Its almost like rather than just credit a team with playing well, some people would rather create another version of it, based upon a mythical state of mind of an entire team.

How about: perhaps we''ll win

perhaps we''ll lose

perhaps neither

It''s a football match. Nobody knows, else what''s the point of playing?

I live in hope. Which is quite different to expectation. I do, however, expect our players to play to the best of their abilities, which is all you can ask.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Herman "]I was hoping this was a link to the fantastic Neil Young song.[/quote]

I saw the poster and assumed it would be the Cliff Richard one.....

[;)]

[/quote]I thought it was a Chris Rea reference.Next Saturday could be more like the Road to Hell for our Chris. 

It''ll obviously be a different situation than the last game, but perhaps the most interesting result would be another 0-0 draw. Since raw results seem to hold more importance than normal due to our league position, the ones not disappointed with the losses to the top six teams would probably be happy. The ''Hughton outers'' would be disappointed we didn''t score any goals and no doubt lambast the manager''s tactical naivity.

If they play Joe Hart and we have 10 shots on target (unlikely as that may be) we''ll score at least 3. However....

I reckon this could be the game where we take Ipswich''s record, I can see Man City doing us 10-0. Probably by half time, playing their reserves and down to 9 men.

Hughton is such a nice guy that he takes off 2 of our players to level it up at 9 a side because "we wouldn''t want to win like that", unfortunately he is so inept that one of the players he chooses is Ruddy, hence the scoreline.

Pellegrini says after the game that we are a "good side" and convinces Delia not to sack Hughton by bribing her with a bottle of Harvey''s Bristol Cream and 20 Bensons for her old man.

We end up relegated by the end of February and it later transpires that Snodgrass is Hughtons lovechild. With Delia.

When we go to the big 6 (Man U, Man C, Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool, Chelsea in no particular order) to win, we''ve got to be on top of our game and they have got to be below their best, then with a bit of luck our way too, we can win, but you can''t expect it often.  That''s the reality of life in the Prem, these teams rarely lose to lower teams at home.

So the expectation for Saturday is that they''ll probably beat us by a couple of goals, same as my expectation for Spurs and Arsenal.  Clearly you could see, if you were at the game last season, that their players didn''t have the same motivation they normally would have - they upped their game noticeably each time we scored (BUT not enough to be able to salvage a draw near the end).

When people say they were "on the beach" my first reaction is "so what ?".  You can only beat the side you''re playing, 3 points count just as much if they''re not fully motivated - that Man C team should "on paper" have been able to beat us comfortably anyway.  Also we were on the beach too, you could have expected our team to slump in their motivation given they were just safe going into the game, which the OP ignores - why didn''t that make it an easy game for Man C?  Back in 2005, Fulham were on the beach when we played them in the final game, didn''t do us any good then, did it ?

What really annoys me about this "on the beach" idea is that people like the OP are trying to say the Man C result last season somehow should be ignored or doesn''t count.  But they do this in a one-sided and anti-Norwich way.  If you''re going to talk about how results "should" have gone, then you''d start by factorcorrecting games decided by officials'' mistakes, which would give us wins away at Sunderland and Arsenal last season for a starter - why doesn''t the OP take account of that too ?  In fact, if you want to look at "fair" results, you could go through every one of the 38 games and decide what you think the result should have been, allowing for injuries, suspensions, level of motivation, luck, officials'' mistakes, and anything else you just plain don''t like about the way the game turned out.  Which would be an utterly pointless exercise, but if you''re going to talk about teams being on the beach, that''s what you have to do, otherwise you''re being selective.

The truth is over the 38 games, you''ll play some teams who are on form and/or lucky in the game against you, and some who aren''t.  That''s football.  The results are what count in the end.  It may be unfair (the idea it will "all even out over the season" is just wishful thinking) but if you don''t like it, you should watch another sport where there''s much less scope for variables like these and upsets are much less common.  And it''s certainly wrong for you to support a team like Norwich.

I don''t think the Man City players will be wearing their beach shorts with their passports tucked in their waistbands for this game....