Sign in to follow this  
Juggy

Elliott Bennett

I think we are really missing this guy.Seemed to get back to form at the end of the season and had a strong pre-season, had bulked up a lot but was showing his blistering pace and ability to get to the byline and put a good cross in.We really need Redmond to try and do the same a bit more.... going on the outside and whipping a cross into the box instead of cutting in for the shot (that is going to get a bit predictable). I know that Bennett wouldn''t have started week in week out, but I think he would have been a very handy player to mix things up and would have been perfect off the bench on Saturday against that full back who was struggling against Snodgrass.Looking forward to seeing him back.

The New Boy (Le Juge) wrote the following post at 28/10/2013 1:59 PM:

"....We really need Redmond to try and do the same a bit more.... going on the outside and whipping a cross into the box instead of cutting in for the shot (that is going to get a bit predictable)...."

He will continue to cut in as long as he is played on the left, and as long as he does that he will take the option of making space for himself and shooting. Play him on the right wing however and he will beat his man, make the cross, cut back or shoot. He is far, far more effective on the right and despite being a Hughton ''inner'' I can''t understand why Pilks has to make way for Redmond and not Snodgrass.

[quote user="Citizen Journalist Foghorn"]A good player, who would have offered something different.

Having said that we can''t go around moaning about an injury to a backup player when the current management do not really favor squad rotation.[/quote]
Despite hardly playing last season Elliott Bennett was joint second in the assist charts after Snodgrass, equal with Holt, Hoolahan and Pilkington (3 each). 
In pre-season I suggested we try and sign Shaun Maloney and was widely ridiculed. And now people moan about the lack of chances that we create. Here is the assist league table last year:
1. Eden Hazard Belgium  Chelsea FC 13
Mata Spain  Chelsea FC 13
3. Santi Cazorla Spain  Arsenal FC 12
4. Wayne Rooney England  Manchester United 11
Theo Walcott England  Arsenal FC 11
6. Lukas Podolski Germany  Arsenal FC 10
Robin van Persie Netherlands  Manchester United 10
8. David Silva Spain  Manchester City 9
Steven Gerrard England  Liverpool FC 9
10. Jean Beausejour Chile  Wigan Athletic 8
Shaun Maloney Scotland  Wigan Athletic 8
Carlos Tévez Argentina  Manchester City 8
Maloney and his teammate Beausejour are the first realistic names that you get to on the list. 
And here is a combined goal & assist league table:
Again the only realistic signing between the top and our best performing player (Snodgrass) is Shaun Maloney.
And I still think that we should have tried to sign Shaun Maloney. Instead we signed Johan Elmander, and people on here shouted down those of us who dared to suggest that he is a bit of a useless donkey. 

My point is that, if fit, perhaps he is our best winger - in the sense that he would be the most effective at creating goals. 
Whether Hughton would have played him or not.
Norwich fans tend to dismiss anybody not playing as a "backup" player or "not good enough", but the XI which starts is only a reflection of Hughton''s opinion - it doesn''t mean that he is picking the best players at the club.

I was expecting big things from Benno last season, after adjusting well from stepping up two leagues. Thought he would continue to progress. Then we bought Snoddy and it arrested his development. Thought he was great in the first game of the season, thought - ''Ah, he''s going to give Snodgrass a run for his money this season'' then came the injury. Real shame. Think ultimately he might become the pacey rightback people have talked about. Like the idea of Olsson at LB and Bennet at right back. Then you could truly paly inverted wingers, knowing you have the fullback bombing on to provide the traditional wingers support

I too have considered EB as a future right back.

He is defensively aware, good in the tackle, quick, excellent on the ball and no slouch around goal.  A complete player for me in this position.  Question is does he see himself playing in that position or is he determined to remain a winger/midfield player?

For me with the quality of RBs around, he could make this position his own and challenge for an England spot.  England are not exactly blessed at this position and EB has the discipline to become a top player at RB IMO!

Snake

I think we have 4 really strong wingers in pilks, snodgrass, Redmond and Bennett but would like to see them swap sides more often throughout a game as has happened at times and did happen once or twice at the weekend. All 4 are capable of this and would give the opposition a lot more to think about.

I''d noticed that our wingers didn''t swap sides before but they have done in the last couple of games, although not to much effect. Don''t know whether this was under instruction or something they decided themselves.

I parked next to EB in the city a couple of weeks back. I told him we missed him and asked when he thought he would be back.

His reply was jan/feb, I suspect that meant back in training at that time

More than likely under instruction Mr Angry.

The problem with Snoddy and Pilks is that they don''t have much pace, so it is easy for defenders to keep showing them the outside, as they rarely get passed to get the cross in.

They would then have to put the crosses in earlier which they both seem a little reluctant to do and usually only 1 in the area to attack them.

It is a dilemma.