Sign in to follow this  
im spartacus canary

if fers "goal" had been the last kick of the season that kept us up ?

Id still be celebrating the victory into the small hours.Dont give a crap about image or "bad sportsmanship" I thought Opperation Hoots was all about "Keeping in the Prem at any cost" Well there was your cost, self rightious people did you boo Fer when he scored ? lol

agree with everything this thread says!The "Self Righteous" will harp on about fair play etc.. but if we get relegated by a point they will deep down think back about this game and say to themselves "that was the one...."

[quote user="gangmower"]if it had been allowed norwich were going to let cardiff score[/quote]no they weren''t... Hughton hasn''t said that! he said if the goal had stood he would have been left with a decision to make.

[quote user="gangmower"]if it had been allowed norwich were going to let cardiff score[/quote]Where did this concept come from ? Got a quote.If it was Mr Nice loved by all Hoots then all the more reason for him to sling his hook ! Colin Wanker would accept 5 simialr goals a game and joke about his lad not knowing the keeper wasnt ready.

--- jas the barclay king: no they weren''t... Hughton hasn''t said that! he said if the goal had stood he would have been left with a decision to make.

And Mackay said Chris Hughton immediately told him that if the goal stood his players would allow the visitors to score.

It was Malky who said that Hughton and Calderwood had told him they''d have let them score if it had stood. Have a pop at me all you like but I think that''s exactly the right call. You have no right to complain when players cheat against us if your prepared to accept a winner like that, we''re better than that.

If we''re relegated by 2 points Jas I''ll look back to only scoring 1 goal and taking 1 point from Hull, Villa and Cardiff. Not that "goal".

I would have loved to have seen fan and player reaction to allowing Cardiff to walk the ball into the net though.You think the inbred pit would have held back ?Who would have got the venom ?Think Snoddy would have accepted it ? How does that look on Fer, would he have been dropped for bad sportsmanship ?I think its probably lucky the goal didnt stand only because it would have really split us very publically and very obviously as a club and fan base.Very interesting.

anyway the question is who would take a goal like that on the last game of the season to keep us up or would you prefer relegation cos "we are better than that" not whether we were going to let the score today or not had it counted ...

And if it had been the last game of the season and Cardiff scored in the same way and City got relegated - then I''m pretty sure we wouldn''t like it either!

Sportsmanship works both ways!

Yes it''s unsporting but I''d take that goal. If the ball had gone out for a goal kick do you really think the ref would make us take the throw in again? Therefore I''d say the goal should stand.

A City player was down injured - Tettey, Marshall had done the sporting thing and kicked the ball out. Now they is all sorts of rule bending that goes on in the game as we all know, but one of the universally observed conventions is that if the opposition put the ball out to allow treatment to an injured player possession is returned to them. To not do so is crossing a line in a big way.
Norwich are a much respected club and held in some affection but lots of supporters of other clubs. There are few who would wish us ill, unlike many teams.
Now if we had crossed that line and won the game by such a goal we would change from being held in high regard to being reviled in an instant. Now seriously are two points worth that. And if it was the last kick of the season to save relegation we would be reviled for eternity - because another club would have gone down incredibly unfairly in our place.
The very fact this debate is taking place shows just how desperate we are for a win. But lets stop grasping at straws, and instead keep the faith and get behind the team

In no circumstances would I have wanted us to win via that goal. The spirit of the game and the clubs reputation is too important for us to benefit from an incident like that. Hughton was right that we should have win the game easily without having scored like that and frankly if that was the only way we could stay up then we clearly would deserve to go down.

I guess if we are applying the rules strictly then the goal should have been awarded. However, Cardiff did us a favour by kicking the ball out so that Tettey could receive treatment. They were well within their rights to have played on effectively leaving us with 10 men but opted not to. If you do that then I think you can legitimately expect the ball to be returned to you afterwards. If they had booted it out for one of their own players that would have been very different. I think the referee deserves a lot of credit for using some common-sense and defusing what could have been a very embarrassing situation. If we had been on the receiving end of that everyone on here would have been up in arms about it and quite rightly so.  

with Tettey injured if Cardiff had decided to play on and score instead of put it out there would have been a lot of people who would have said "oh well, thats just one of those things"but where would the sportsmanship have been? The thing is everyone would have accpeted it as a fair goal. Ours was a fair goal, i have read people saying Fer Cheated, but surely in order to cheat you have to break a rule first? we didn''t...

There is no rule that you return possession but there is a universal understanding/ convention that that is what is done. An unwritten rule if you like but certainly a line we would and should not have crossed.

If it had been Cardiff that had breached this convention we would all have been outraged and rightly so. That should tell us that there could have been no legitimacy in us seeking to claim a goal.

As I mentioned before this is just sheer desperation out of understandable frustration.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]with Tettey injured if Cardiff had decided to play on and score instead of put it out there would have been a lot of people who would have said "oh well, thats just one of those things"

but where would the sportsmanship have been? The thing is everyone would have accpeted it as a fair goal. Ours was a fair goal, i have read people saying Fer Cheated, but surely in order to cheat you have to break a rule first? we didn''t...
[/quote]

If Cardiff had played on and scored , there would have been a riot, no doubt about that. The ref should have booked Campbell as that was a bad tackle. He didn''t signal to play on, so he obviously thought nothing untoward happened.

Are there points awarded for fair play? Nope. Points are awarded for putting the ball in the back of the opposition''s net more often than they do in yours.

Save the sentimentality for the Sunday league pub team games. This is professional football we are talking about, not a children''s game of marbles or tiddly-winks. Any player who does not set out to score at any cost (within the rules of the game) would be guilty of professional negligence and no longer play any part in my team.

Of course, neither should we expect any quarter spared, but as far as I''m concerned, and within the rules of the game, anything is permitted. To argue otherwise is just being childish.

If Hughton really did make those comments about letting Swansea score, he should be summarily dismissed. There are no excuses for that kind of fecklessness in the Premier League.