Sign in to follow this  
morty

The Cup.

So how do we play it Tuesday night?  Stick out the fringe players and go out with a whimper, or play a full strength team and maybe get a (morale boosting) result?

It''s a tricky one. We could stick out the first team and pick up a couple of knocks, United could also click and we could be on the end of a morale sapping beating, you could also say that the players who got us past Watford deserve their chance against United.

Not sure I''d like to have to make that call.

The way that Man Utd have been playing recently (including the first 75 minutes against Stoke) I really hope that we go for it and put out our strongest team.
Especially considering we have Man City away next in the league, where we aren''t expected to get anything. I''d probably have a different opinion if it were West Ham or Crystal Palace at home next in the league.
But I can''t see what we have to lose here. 

Have to play our strongest team and go for it. the more the lads play together the better they play, sure goals are short but performances have been good. No need to fear utd at the moment, attack,attack , attack attack attack.!!!

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Have to play our strongest team and go for it. the more the lads play together the better they play, sure goals are short but performances have been good. No need to fear utd at the moment, attack,attack , attack attack attack.!!![/quote]Agreed.Especially as I''m spending the best part of 2 days getting there in a coach lol.

Send out the team that finished the game v Watford, except put Ruddy in goal...and go for the juggler. Their defense was all over the shop at the weekend we should test that with pace on both wings.

Assuming you were being literal, how is going for a sideline entertainer like a juggler gonna benefit us?

Metaphorically speaking, we''d do best to go for their carotid.

Strong first team, very attacking, go for goals and if we''re going to go out, at least let''s lose 5-3 instead of 1-0 and give the travelling fans a good game and the strikers a chance to get some confidence back. Murphy has also earned the right to take a shot at United after his heroics last time - at least from the bench if not starting.

we go for it...

wonder what the moaners would say if we got to the final??? I suspect they''d all be clambering for a ticket... then if we won the cup???

Difficult on this.

One problem we had last year was squad rotation.  When we had injuries, players that came in had very little game time and were off the pace for quite a while. As many have said it is a long season.  We will need all of our squad and as CH is reluctant to change his teams, these ''fringe'' guys need time on the pitch in competitive games.

On the otherhand the team is not playing badly and could cause an upset here and I for one believe in success breeds success.  Would be a great morale booster!

So for me a mixture of both.  Some guys were shattered on Saturday and probably need a break. Therefore I would like to see Hoolahan, Redmond and Murphy start. Garrido in for Ollson and Johnson in for Tettey.

Yes there are a few changes but the line up is attacking without losing the same shape that has done us well.  Hooper to start up front will give us firepower and gives RvW a few more days to heal properly.

Snake [:D]

Tettey is injured so it looks as if the formation will have to change a bit cos no one in my mind can play that defensive midfield/sweeper type role as well as him. Personally. I''d quite like to see Hooper and Elmander start up front. Elmander did well for Sweden as one of a pair of strikers, against good opposition. Not sure how I would compensate in midifeld for the lack of a Tettey; might have to sacrifice some width. For sure I would keep Fer, Howson in there. Whatever, we have to go for it.

Im torn about the cup I think that we could beat Man Utd as others have stated no one has anything to fear about Man Utd at the moment this could be an ideal chance to give BJ and Hoolihan the chance to steak a claim for the starting 11. This season the chances are we will not be injury free so therefore we need to play some of our fringe players given the oppotunity.  

Does the absence of Bunn and Wes from the bench on Sat mean they''re starting tomorrow ?

I''d expect players like R Bennett, Whittaker, Garrido to get a game, & Redmond to play from the start.  Probably Turner at CB as Basso is just recently back from injury.  CM is tough because the Tettey/Fer/Howson combo is clearly our best lineup but do you give them games on Sat/Tue/Sat ?  My guess is we have Fer with BJ and Wes.

Up front is difficult as Hooper started Sat.  If RVW is fit do you give him a game to get him back to match fitness ?  Or does Elmander start ? I hope Becchio at least gets on the bench.

Overall I''m expecting plenty of changes from Sat, probably 8 changes from the starting lineup.

Having said that, how far would these changes weaken our team ?  Quite a few on here would rather have Whitts, RBennett, Wes etc in the starting lineup for the league.  Clearly Ruddy is our top keeper and most would agree BJ is weaker than our starting midfield, but many of the others will be hoping they can challenge for a first choice spot in the league.

I''d like to see Murphy start, because we wouldn''t be in this position without him. He came on and changed the game against Watford and it would be the best stage to showcase a product of our youth system. It could be a risk or he may not have a good game. But he deserves it and I''d trust him.

full first team. A win could kick start our season, a humiliating defeat would not help

Difficult one. Whatever team he puts out, against a Man Utd team that aren''t in their usual groove at the minute, I hope he takes the game to United because we haven''t got anything to lose really. Close down well and attack quickly!

The only concern I have regarding putting out a first choice team is that they will get tired and could pick up knocks. And those players we will need in the league in a difficult away trip to the blue half of Manchester. However, I concede the majority of our first choice players if fit, will be needed for this one. I for one, will be hoping there will be a goal or two for our strikers to boost their confidence.

[quote user="Surfer"]Send out the team that finished the game v Watford, except put Ruddy in goal...and go for the juggler. Their defense was all over the shop at the weekend we should test that with pace on both wings.[/quote]

This is still Manchester United we are talking about here. I can''t imagine us "testing" their defences too much. After all Villa, Hull & Cardiff have all passed the test with flying colours. I think United will do just fine regardless of team selection.

United are desperate for a run of form and will want to win this. Moyes may see this competiton as his only chance of silverware this season.

Yeah, Villa, Hull and Cardiff all showed how easy it is to defend against us. That considered, we might as well send out our under 14s to give them a taste of the big time, we''ll be in the conference by the time they get through the Academy ranks so it''ll probably be their only chance.

Or you could say that Arsenal and Chelsea couldn''t cope with our attacking play at times, Man United haven''t had the best start, let''s play as we have been and hope we take our chances.

Mind you, Hughton will probably start with two keepers, six at the back, Tettey and Johnson holding with Becchio up top on his own.

For me, I''d go with a near entire first team side and really take the game to United. A win (dare I say it) or even just a solid performance could give us the impetus to go to City next week and at least keep the scoreline respectable.

I''d lineup with:

Bunn

Martin Bennett Bassong Olsson

Redmond Howson Fer Pilkington

Elmander

Hooper

Bench: Nash, Whittaker, Turner, Garrido, Johnson, Murphy (Josh) and Ricky

Hopefully Bunn''s fit for the game but if not Ruddy can step in and Turner hasn''t been stunning all season so maybe try Bennett? He''ll be trying to prove he''s good enough to play week in, week out and it might cause Turner to up his game.

I''d drop Snodgrass completely because honestly, I thought he was shocking against Cardiff and Murphy deserves another shot in the cup for me considering his performance against Watford. If Snoddy doesn''t improve soon we could be looking at bringing Murphy into the first team anyway...

Tettey took a bit of a knock to his ankle against Cardiff so if he''s not 100% I''d rest him in place of Johnson and Ricky wouldn''t start for me unless fully fit as well.

I''d like to see us experiment a little in any case.

Bunn

Whittaker   Bennett Bassong   Olsson

Fer

Howson       Pilkington

Hoolahan

RVW   Hooper

My bet is we''ll go with the following subject to fitness

Bunn

Whittaker, R Bennett, Turner, Garrido

CMs : BJ, Fer, Hoolahan

Flanks : Redmond / Snoddy

Up front - Elmander.

Which is 8 changes to the starting lineup on Saturday I reckon.

I would like Murphy to start, in a free attacking role, this is a good game for him to gain some experience and fairly low risk. He''s confident and we really could do with some in the squad.

[quote user="Sidewayspass"]Where would people suggest is best to park tomorrow night?

Oh, and more importantly, where is everyone drinking before the game?[/quote]

In front of our goal!

[quote user="Sidewayspass"]Where would people suggest is best to park tomorrow night?

Oh, and more importantly, where is everyone drinking before the game?[/quote]

I trust you wont be drinking if you are driving?

Same formation.

GK. Bunn

DL. Olsson

DC. Bassong

DC. Bennett

DR. Whittaker

DM. Bradders

CM. Fer

CM. Howson

AML. Murphy

AMR. Redmond

ST. Hooper

"hazza9 wrote the following post at 29/10/2013 9:42 AM:

Same formation.

GK. Bunn

DL. Olsson

DC. Bassong

DC. Bennett

DR. Whittaker

DM. Bradders

CM. Fer

CM. Howson

AML. Murphy

AMR. Redmond

ST. Hooper "

I like this team you''ve suggested.

I have a gut feeling Elmander will start up front tonight

Yes, I''d expect Elmander to start given that Hooper did most of the game on Saturday and RVW isn''t fully fit, even if RVW is pretty much fit I''d expect him to be a sub instead as preparation hopefully for a start on Saturday.

I''ll be pleasantly surprised if Murphy gets a start, I guess both Pilks and Snoddy could use a rest tho.

Wouldn''t play Fer or Bassong. Protect them for more important issues.

Imagine losing one of our key players for months to a cruciate injury or something in such a game. League much more important.