Sign in to follow this  
CanaryKev

Attacking Coach Vacancy.......Apply NCFC

I am a new poster, having read this forum for a number of years now, I decided to post after listening to Canary Call after the game on Saturday.

One caller picked up on the lack of scoring and attacking ideas to break down the Cardiff defence. He asked Adrian Forbes what emphasis in training Colin Calderwood undertook. To this AF replied ''defence''. When asked the same of ''Paul Trollope, AF once again replied ''defence''.

With Chris Hughton''s ability in his playing days as a top defender never in doubt, it does appear that our beloved Premier League team does not have a dedicated first team attacking/striker coach.

Not only did Rob Butler express surprise, I must admit I was astounded by AF''s hesitant response.

What do the more regular posters feel about this? Is this a definite void in our coaching staff, if so who would you give your vote for a role like this?

Neil Adams and Hucks would be an excellent pair for coaching attacking play.

I must admit Neil Adams crossed my mind djc, he deserves recognition for his FA Youth Cup success last year.

Hucks would win a lot of votes too.

Chris Hughton had Calderwood and Trollope at Bimingham too-though Calderwood joined in November 2011. They scored 78 goals in 46 league games, so not exactly goal shy although obviously this was in the Championship.

Lambert - Defensive Midfielder

Culverhouse - Defence

Worthington - Defence

Livermore - Midfielder

Rioch - Defensive Midfielder

Hamilton - Defender

Walker - Goalkeeper

Deehan - Attack

Stringer - Defence

Williams - Midfielder

Brown - Defence

Machin - Defence

Our most successful management teams have ALWAYS been defensive minded. Strikers and Attackers rarely seem to make managers and coaches. Why? Who knows. Maybe strikers tend to be free spirits slightly and require less organisation, control and awareness of what is going on in ALL areas of the pitch.

Yes, we can constructively criticise the current management team for their negligence in certain areas, but the fact we don''t have an attacking coach is completely irrelevant in my opinion. If an attacking coach was so important, then how come to my knowledge over the past 30 years only John Deehan has been any form of attacking coach the club has had at a first team level?

This should not be an issue - history tells us that.

Good point Mr Angry, I do feel however, with so many defensive experts and a excellent goalkeeping coach, who is bringing a level of coaching expertise to our attacking players?

--- flecky76: Maybe strikers tend to be free spirits slightly and require less organisation, control and awareness of what is going on in ALL areas of the pitch.

Sir Alex Ferguson was a forward.

But I agree with your point, there is no reason defensive footballers can''t be successful at creating teams that score goals.

That said, we are bloody awful at attacking these days, far too predictable.

Thanks flecky76, an excellent response. I knew that a experienced poster would come up with the goods.

Looking at those list of names and the success most of them enjoyed, maybe my concerns of the lack of attacking coaching emphasis are unfounded.

I still can''t help thinking however, do most of the other Prem sides have expert attacking coaches?

Doesn''t matter if we had Shearer & Lineker as coaches. Hughton''s a tracksuit manager who orchestrates training.  He isn''t going to change his techniques just because.

[quote user="Schlong Connery"]Doesn''t matter if we had Shearer & Lineker as coaches. Hughton''s a tracksuit manager who orchestrates training.  He isn''t going to change his techniques just because.[/quote]Nicked from an earlier post :-"Chris Hughton had Calderwood and Trollope at Bimingham too-though

Calderwood joined in November 2011. They scored 78 goals in 46 league

games, so not exactly goal shy although obviously this was in the

Championship."Which doesn''t really back the theory that he is overly defensively minded, more that his attack force isn''t quite where he needs it to be. Yet.

dammit i got excited for a moment, i thought this was some `top boy` putting a firm together and was planning to ambush the away support buses as they approached carrow road and throw bricks through the windows, just like in the old days... instead it''s another boring thread about bloody howton   [:(]

I''d vote for Morty and Ricardo as they are the acknowledged football experts allegedly. Also witness the way they relentllessly attack many posters on here. The Messi''s of the message boards I reckon.

Haha, just in from work and your response has bought a smile to me, I,m Spartacus.

I still stand by my feeling that the club should invest in a attacking/striking expert. We have a top class keeper and good supporting keepers, yet we still bought in a International coach to train them.

The movement, shape and interchange of our attacking play could be studied against the methods used by the top sides, not just in the Prem. New strategies could then be implemented on the training ground through the attacking expert and the well briefed Hughton.

Sounds a simple solution to our goal scoring dilemma......... It might just make the difference that counts at the end of the season.

[quote user="flecky76"]Lambert - Defensive Midfielder

Culverhouse - Defence

Worthington - Defence

Livermore - Midfielder

Rioch - Defensive Midfielder

Hamilton - Defender

Walker - Goalkeeper

Deehan - Attack

Stringer - Defence

Williams - Midfielder

Brown - Defence

Machin - Defence

Our most successful management teams have ALWAYS been defensive minded. Strikers and Attackers rarely seem to make managers and coaches. Why? Who knows. Maybe strikers tend to be free spirits slightly and require less organisation, control and awareness of what is going on in ALL areas of the pitch.

Yes, we can constructively criticise the current management team for their negligence in certain areas, but the fact we don''t have an attacking coach is completely irrelevant in my opinion. If an attacking coach was so important, then how come to my knowledge over the past 30 years only John Deehan has been any form of attacking coach the club has had at a first team level?

This should not be an issue - history tells us that.[/quote]
Been a bit creative there because Bruch Rioch wasn''t a defensive midfielder he was an attacking midfielder.... he scored 133 league goals and 6 in 24 for Scotland, prolific for a midfielder even in the 1970''s.
And position on the pitch of the coaches seems to be irrelevant anyway because Adrian Forbes is claiming that Trollope is coaching defensive play - and he spent most of his career as a winger.
You also have Bryan Hamilton down as a defender,  but he was a skilful centre midfielder who scored 43 in 153 games for Ipswich. So With Dave Williams also being a goalscoring midfielder.... I''m not so sure that your argument really holds weight. 
Can hardly claim that Phil Mulryne or Ian Crook are defensive minded on the basis that they played centre midfield, nor David Fox for that matter. I personally believe that position on the pitch and style as a player is pretty much irrelevant, as often players are defenders due to the limits of their footballing ability not because they dream of being a full back. Jamie Carragher said that to Gary Neville recently..... full backs are just failed wingers. Russell Martin started out as a striker. It''s true.... every right back playing in 15 years time would have started out wanting to be Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo, no 10 year old sits there dreaming of becoming the next Javier Garrido. 
You can be a big lumbering centre half who plays the ball into row 7 but be a keen student of the game and admirer of beautiful passing football, and you can be a top class striker but retire having learnt nothing about tactics or management skills. The line really is as fine as Chris Sutton not having managed to score when he was stuck up front for us. Would he be a defensive or attacking manager if we gave him the job? Because he was a centre defender wasn''t he?
I would have to question your inclusion of Rioch and leaving out of Martin O''Neill though, he left this club at the top of the league. But I am certainly not one of those who starts talking about the manager being defensive because he was a left back, just doesn''t work like that, he is defensive because that is his nature. Roberto Carlos was also a left back, and he was fearless.