Sign in to follow this  
Snoots

A sense of perspective

I must admit that I am increasingly fed up with both the Hughton Outers and the overly vociferous Hughton Supporters. So much whingeing, it''s all become very tiresome and I thought that I would offer a sense of perspective. Let''s just remind ourselves that the last four matches have seen us play 3 of the top clubs in Europe and arguably the world. All three have, in the end, comfortably beaten us and, yes, it has been disappointing that after holding our own for much of the time in these matches and having played some good football we have ended up on the thick end of fairly heavy but far from humiliating defeats. I agree that last night''s performance was puzzling but the 4-0 scoreline did flatter Man Utd and I don''t understand why our first choice goalkeeper had to be substituted. The fourth match of course was at home v Cardiff and, let''s be fair here, how we failed to find the back of the net at least once is anybody''s guess. So, despite an all out attacking performance and a game we undoubtedly deserved to win we only gained one point and Cardiff slipped away into the night having craftily picked our pockets. We were the victimes of bad fortune not bad management.

This Saturday, we play Man City and in all probability we will lose but hopefully only after a fully committed performance. Therefore, in five consecutive matches we will have played four of the top clubs in Europe/the world and lost all four ..... but is anybody really surprised ? My point of course is, that given the above background, the emotive outcries for Hughton to be sacked are premature and unjustified and the expression "be careful what you wish for" springs to mind. Let''s judge Hughton fairly, objectively and literally on a level playing field at the end of November, by which time we will have tested ourselves against three clubs, West Ham and Palace at home and Newcastle away, all of which are genuinely winnable and if on 1st December we find ourselves anchored to the foot of the table after abject defeats against these clubs then it will be decision time for McNally. I want Hughton to get through this because in my opinion he is fundamentally a decent and loyal man and a good manager (although I have doubts about the wisdom of his choices of right and left hand men) and, vitally, a man who I would expect to give us long term commitment, continuity and stability unlike the mercenary Lambert. So, please, let''s stop moaning and complaining and (unbelievably) booing and wholeheartedly get behind our manager and players.

I got behind the team and manager by going to last nights match and while the scoreline did flatter we never changed a thing and once 2nd went in the manager basically threw towel in by not changing formation and bringing a 2nd striker on. I didn''t expect a win but I did expect us to have a real go against a 2nd string united team who were no great shakes. We did nothing !! I felt very short changed by hughton. Also I show my commitment by having season ticket and I live near Liverpool . My expectations are realistic but the least I expect is for us to have a real go week in week out. He just seems to have no plan b no real inspiring motivation .. The wheels are slowly falling off. Is he the right man for us?? Really having doubts now .. I hope he proves me wrong but he needs to get a shift on..