Sign in to follow this  
HampsteadCanary

Canary Call

Mark Robins is one of the spectacularly rare sensible speakers on canary Call. He is a manager. He''s played for Norwich. He is also providing the view from outside Norwich that we are doing comparatively well.

He is stressing that short-termist managerial changes don''t work as well as creating a stability. He is suggesting that we are unlikely to gave the money to fund a new raft of signings. He is suggesting that we have bought well. He is suggesting that there are not obviously better candidates available. He is stressing how well respected Hughton is within football circles.

Mark Robins is one of the spectacularly rare sensible speakers on canary Call. He is a manager. He''s played for Norwich. He is also providing the view from outside Norwich that we are doing comparatively well.

He is stressing that short-termist managerial changes don''t work as well as creating a stability. He is suggesting that we are unlikely to gave the money to fund a new raft of signings. He is suggesting that we have bought well. He is suggesting that there are not obviously better candidates available. He is stressing how well respected Hughton is within football circles.

Of course he is - he''s a manager!

Managers rarely have a go at their own, so wouldn''t expect Robins to say anything else.

Norwich have bought well, but that is all wasted on a manager, nice guy that he is, who will take us down.

The club cannot afford to keep Hughton at this club and the longer they string it out, the more costly it could be. He Must Go!!!

I personally thought it was a shrewd move from canary call to get Mark Robins on last night. By doing so, they achieved exactly what they wanted, to ease the growing pressure on Hughton.

He certainly wasn''t on the program for the match commentary. Although I found myself being open to his view points which the main one being - Norwich should buck the trend and stick by our manager, survive the season and create a Hughton legacy.

As much as that does sound appealing, because Hughton is a classy character and great representative for the club off the pitch, on the pitch it seems it''s a different story statistically and realistically.

For me I want to see our players fight for our manager against Man City, knowing that we can''t expect a result there. Then nothing short of a win against West Ham. If we don''t score against Man City it will be 270 minutes since we last scored a goal. That''s why I''d expect us to win against West Ham, because if we fail to score then, it would be 360 mins (four games) and our fans MUST deserve more than that?!

Green and Yella - we''re agreed that we want to see fight and determination in our players! He needs to find a way to motivate them EVERY game...sometimes we look motivated, take the game to the opposition and get nothing, and the rest of the time we look poor and still get nothing. Not sure how much influence the club has over radio norfolk as far as picking the co-commentators go, but most of the pros (McVeigh, Forbes, Eadie, and now Robins) seem to back Hughton all the time. I''m willing to stick with him, as I think he''s the best we''l get!

In all fairness I have never heard an ex-pro or manager criticise another as a commentator.

It is just not the done thing!

I take these opinions with a pinch of salt.

Snake

[quote user="snake-eyes"]

In all fairness I have never heard an ex-pro or manager criticise another as a commentator.

It is just not the done thing!

I take these opinions with a pinch of salt.

Snake

[/quote]Exactly. What benefit would it be to Robins to come on and say "Sack him!". A manager who did that would find himself frozen out of the game pretty quickly and likely shunned. So they have to say positive things. Pinch of salt indeed.

[quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]if we fail to score then, it would be 360 mins (four games) and our fans MUST deserve more than that?![/quote]There is not a fan up or down the land that doesn''t believe they DESERVE MORE than they already have. Coventry or Portsmouth fans may have a point, but us? Because we are finding it difficult to score against some of the best defences in the world. Let''s get real.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Green and Yellow fellow"]if we fail to score then, it would be 360 mins (four games) and our fans MUST deserve more than that?![/quote]There is not a fan up or down the land that doesn''t believe they DESERVE MORE than they already have. Coventry or Portsmouth fans may have a point, but us? Because we are finding it difficult to score against some of the best defences in the world. Let''s get real.[/quote]Yep! Cardiff City. Holders of the best premier league defensive record ever!!!! Hull City!! Come on. What a naff statement. We scored against Arsenal and Chelsea who you probably refer to.

Lappin - I''m fed up of hearing how we have it so good compared to other teams. I''m sure Portsmouth have had more than 6 wins in over 30 matches? I''m also fred up of people saying about where we were 5 seasons ago in league 1.

In the summer the club made a huge statement by spending a record amount of money. The club clearly wanted/wants to move forward. We achieved that with our summer signings, showing ambition, bringing in quality players and making some shrewd deals.

But since our relegation form from last season, our style of play, our performances on the pitch, everything on the field seems to have stayed the same. If we are a club that wants to to move on, why can''t we move on from the tactics which haven''t really served us that well before. Some will argue that we finished 11th, but that was two games after we were in a relegation battle. It''s not surprising we''re in the bottom 3 now. Something needs to change, the tactics, the manager, coaching staff. Perhaps I''m just being a ''pant wetter'' but I''m only judging my opinion based on evidence. Rather than just sitting back and appreciating how far we''ve come, knowing we can go further.

Haven''t managed to catch up on canary call from last night. It doesn''t appear to be posted on the Radio Norfolk site. Any idea when it''s likely to go up?

My God, Mike. Are you some sort of masochist ? It''s a toss up as to whether popping on a Smiths CD or listening to Canary Call is the more likely to make you want to end it all right now.

I did give it a go in the car on the home from the Cardiff game, but it was just TOO depressing. And for that reason last night opted for the more cheery offering of the 10 pm News with stuff about soaring electricity prices, journos phone hacking, and incompetent social workers getting huge pay offs.