Sign in to follow this  
Salopian

Does the defence need another tweak?

The manager last season grappled with the tendency to leak goals by signing Bassong and Turner for the centre and Whittaker and Garrido at fullback. He also signed  Tettey as a shield in front of the back four, and mistakenly tried to covert Howson to be another.

The result was good, once they were all signed and were playing. Then Ruddy was injured and Bassong missed a few games, and the defence was not quite as good. They may have been carrying knocks.

Now we are shipping goals again. No doubt this is partly because we have made a greater emphasis on attack. The question I raise is whether Bassong and Turner are as good as they were at their best last season. Despite medical attention during the summer, they seem to be lacking an edge. Players are unmarked, blocks less effective, and attackers seem to be able to penetrate at will. This comes into sharp relief in the prospect that Tettey may miss a few games.

I don''t know what can be done, but while a few months ago I felt that the defensive lacking had been solved or at least improved, I am not so confident now, and this despite the very good signing in Olsson.

They have been conceding a lot of soft goals. I think you should always look to improve if the funding is there.

For me the greater emphasis on attack has had nothing to do with the poor defending .

If you look at the Chelsea and Arsenal games at no point was our defence overwhelmed in with numbers.

Individual mistakes and poor awareness snd communication cost us.

Snake

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="ricardo"]A large sheet of unbreakable glass 8yds x 8 ft required.[:)][/quote]

That would be a bit of a pane!

[/quote]Maybe, but would it be a true reflection?

[quote user="can u sit down please"]A greater emphasis on attack???? I must have missed it[/quote]

He dropped Bradley Johnson.

;-)

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="ricardo"]A large sheet of unbreakable glass 8yds x 8 ft required.[:)][/quote]

[/quote]Maybe, but would it be a true reflection?[/quote]

Perhaps we do it in the transfer window...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="ricardo"]A large sheet of unbreakable glass 8yds x 8 ft required.[:)]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe, but would it be a true reflection?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Certainly need to do it before the window closes.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Come January there''ll be plenty of names in the frame...

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Come January there''ll be plenty of names in the frame...[/quote]

I can see through you lot...

A centre back was a key target for the club this summer so without a doubt it does need strengthening.   We have conceeded a few against the big sides but not many in the games that count.

However the problem remains creativity and scoring goals - thats where you pick up points.   Yes Howson, Tettey & Fer have given us a platform but it and the wide players need to do better.

We need to move the ball faster (so many second and third touches slowing the play and allowing opposition back into position) and not always have the objective of getting the ball wide, some penetration through the middle to mix it up would be good.

I retain some (dwindling) confidence that this will improve even before Jan and points will be gained soon.  Just not at the Etihad!