Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Genuine Hughton Replacement Candidates

Is Premiership experience that necessary? I would have thought experience in England would be just as valid. I would have thought a grounding in the English game at Championship level would be fine, you just dont want someone coming in who has no experience of English football at all, as far more of a gamble. Not saying it wouldnt work, but more likely to run into culture-clash or adjusting problems

If Neill Lennon would be the best on offer then I would be very worried.  If some apparently see Hughton as not a good fit, then for me Lennon would be a much worse fit.   Also, his success comes from  being with a club that has ten times more resources than all the clubs around him in the league. That in itself hardly matches our club.

[quote user="lake district canary"]If Neill Lennon would be the best on offer then I would be very worried.  If some apparently see Hughton as not a good fit, then for me Lennon would be a much worse fit.   Also, his success comes from  being with a club that has ten times more resources than all the clubs around him in the league. That in itself hardly matches our club.

[/quote]

I''m not a huge fan of Lennon - but his greatest success is getting Celtic to the 2nd round of the Champions League - against teams with considerably greater resources than Celtic.

After having a quick look threw this thread,it''s obvious there''s no one any better than Chris Hughton for the job. It WILL be OK.I don''t think is''s the managers fault when a team has 31 shots and doesn''t score !! I think weve played well in the majority of games.

Y+G

Regarding your disgust of European managers, I would suggest it unlikely anybody on here would be the one to have the final say !

I am sure McNally could do sufficient homework on a potential candidate, I would favour somebody pulling up some trees in Germany. Who you cry, I have no idea but im sure there would be good candidates.

Re ML & MP

A) What makes us less of a draw the either Swansea or Southampton ?

B) The Prem is the place to be managers are desperate to come here and we have been in this league for 3 year.

Experience in a top European league is all we require it may work or not but please leave your UKIP membership card at the door.

If Hoots proves he''s not up to the job then it''s Lennon or Uwe Rossler for me. Just feel that either would get much more out of our superb squad.

I would like to see someone come in and manage alongside Hughton either Ole Gunnar Solskjaer or Darren Ferguson. I think a managing partnership would be successful.

Solskjaer has prem league playing experience and has managed Man Utd reserves. He looks to Sir Alex as a mentor figure for his management. He has done a great job at Molde too. Whether he would come to England though is the problem.

Ferguson has had two excellent spells with Peterborough both times gaining promotion with a poorly funded team. Ok so they got relegated last year but they were very unlucky having attained 50 odd points which would normally see them safe. Everything this season suggests they are on course for promotion again this year.

Both of these are young with good experience and I believe would do a great job alongside Hughton. Yes they don''t have Premiership management experience but then I can''t really think of any other creadible candidates that have. Tony Pulis,  perhaps but other than that I''m not sure if anyone else could do a better job than Hughton.  

I am really surprised that nobody has mentioned Paul Lambert. Not because he would ever come here again, but because it seems that every Hughton thread comes back to Lambert at some point.

Eddie Howe (Reminds me alot of Lambert)

Di Matteo (Obvious reasons)

Zola (teams play good football)

Frank De Boer (doubt would leave Ajax)

John Van Den Brom (Anderlecht manager we all know the quality coming out of Belgium these days)

I also think as mentioned already Gary Neville would make a very very good manager as a bit of a left field option. Worked under Fergie for so many years and shows excellent insight on sky

if hughton left then i wouldnt mind giving Mike Phelan a chance.would be a risk but who isnt these days. Martin oneill maybe but from recollection his football when he was here wasnt exactly the most exciting (would he have known mcnally when he was at celtic?)

Re: KeelansGlove

Y+G

Regarding your disgust of European managers, I would suggest it unlikely anybody on here would be the one to have the final say !

I am sure McNally could do sufficient homework on a potential candidate, I would favour somebody pulling up some trees in Germany. Who you cry, I have no idea but im sure there would be good candidates.

Re ML & MP

A) What makes us less of a draw the either Swansea or Southampton ?

B) The Prem is the place to be managers are desperate to come here and we have been in this league for 3 year.

Experience in a top European league is all we require it may work or not but please leave your UKIP membership card at the door.

Apologies if I came across that way, KG. I did state that the manager did not have to be British (I suggested Zola and Di Matteo), it is just that some of the suggestions being touted on here are a bit ridiculous.

I was just trying to highlight that recruiting from abroad is a risky business and, like you said, would need some serious research done. Experience in a top European league is enough, of course, but it is safer, in our situation, to recruit someone with a proven track record in the prem.

Re: ML and MP

a) I did question this as I wrote it. For a start, Southampton''s chairman has links with MP. That''s why he went there.

Swansea are slightly different in the sense that, under Rodgers, they were playing a style of football which was being compared to Arsenal and obviously had the potential to achieving something (like win the league cup and qualify for Europa League).

B) I think it would have to be a balance between getting finding someone actually good enough for the job and willing to come to NCFC. It''s a fine line and, like I said, risky.

This is all a big ''if'', as Hughton still in a job and, if all goes well, won''t get fired anytime soon!

I don''t want hughton to leave yet, we''re improving fast, once the goals come we will be flying away.

however, if it doesn''t happen, contrary to popular belief I would want a european manager. british managers are a tired trial.

Some interesting suggestions that certainly get you thinking. First of all, for me this right now is very hyperthetical, but in the very unlikely event that results dont pick up by the end of the year and the situation becomes possible, then I certainly have some perhaps controversial suggestions. Well I think they will be controversial with the majority on here, maybe wrong. Now I watch a hell of a lot of matches over here and we get to see many "expert pundits" and I have to say that the one who really impresses me the most with his overall extensive knowledge of the game, particularly tactically, is............Glen Hoddle.....there I said it. Also, recently David Platt has been very impressive, he also has a bit of an edge to him that I feel would ensure he gets respect, both of these would probably be available and you cant question their experience.  

I am also of the view, which I must say has changed dramatically over the years , that Martin O''Neill would do a good job for us second time round and feel that our club would suite him at this stage of his career......not sure of his style of play though, which I have found to be predictable over the years, but would risk it as feel that his time out would have done him good. Not sure about his family situation though.

Not sure about foreign candidates as I dont watch enough continental football, despite having plenty available on tv over here, but there is one pundit who never fails to impress me with his knowledge and in particular enthusiasm for the game, and that''s Ruud Gullit, who I believe is a free agent having left a Russian club.

As an outsider, then I wouldnt have a problem with Michael Phelan, he was a favourite for me as a player and was alongside Fergie long enough to get his grounding before stepping up, would be interesting.

There is a serious point to this thread. If we get cut adrift, and are looking like certain Championship fodder, then that surely will lessen the choice of decent prople who''d be prepared to come to Norwich ? Size of club/budget is a huge factor; does anyone seriously think that Laudrup would''ve been keen on going to Swansea if they had been looking dodgy ?

Which is precisely why, if things do not start to improve fast, then the board are going to have to display the courage of their convictions and act. While there is half a chance that someone with genuine PL ambition will be tempted to come to Norfolk.

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

Some interesting suggestions that certainly get you thinking. First of all, for me this right now is very hyperthetical, but in the very unlikely event that results dont pick up by the end of the year and the situation becomes possible, then I certainly have some perhaps controversial suggestions. Well I think they will be controversial with the majority on here, maybe wrong. Now I watch a hell of a lot of matches over here and we get to see many "expert pundits" and I have to say that the one who really impresses me the most with his overall extensive knowledge of the game, particularly tactically, is............Glen Hoddle.....there I said it. Also, recently David Platt has been very impressive, he also has a bit of an edge to him that I feel would ensure he gets respect, both of these would probably be available and you cant question their experience.  

I am also of the view, which I must say has changed dramatically over the years , that Martin O''Neill would do a good job for us second time round and feel that our club would suite him at this stage of his career......not sure of his style of play though, which I have found to be predictable over the years, but would risk it as feel that his time out would have done him good. Not sure about his family situation though.

Not sure about foreign candidates as I dont watch enough continental football, despite having plenty available on tv over here, but there is one pundit who never fails to impress me with his knowledge and in particular enthusiasm for the game, and that''s Ruud Gullit, who I believe is a free agent having left a Russian club.

As an outsider, then I wouldnt have a problem with Michael Phelan, he was a favourite for me as a player and was alongside Fergie long enough to get his grounding before stepping up, would be interesting.

[/quote]Are you living in the late 90s or is this a joke?

The thing is the average football supporter isn''t (and I''m really talking about myself, but I suspect this probably applies to the majority) that knowledgeable on the pro''s and cons of other teams managers, especially ones in the foreign leagues. We rely on the general media and other supporters impressions of their ability.

Unless you spend a lot of time watching their teams play its incredibly hard for supporters to make an informed decision of whether they would be a good fit.

But luckily we don''t have to chose, hopefully the board has done its homework on potential replacements if things were to go wrong.

I also find it difficult to decide who''s a realistic candidate, is the pull of a currently lower half and potentially relegation threatened PL team really that big compared to other leagues in europe?

Someone like Vincenzo Montella for instance gets huge plaudits due to his success at Fiorentina but I can''t imagine us having the pull for someone of that level, do we? The trouble for me is, if I''ve heard of a good foreign manager, he inevitably is probably well beyond our reach.

Are many of us likely to know who the next Mauricio Pochettino out there is? Someone with potential to manage this club but with a reputation thats not to big for it? that names not going to be straight off the lips of the average supporter.

This thread highlights there are nigh on no decent candidates ready and available, or at least none that this message board can come up with.

We would get a lot of applicants, but McNally would of already sorted things with the next guy before Hughton is sacked.

We''re going backwards under Hughton and he should be replaced at the earliest opportunity, but there aren''t any obvious candidates. Whoever gets it, they will have to have a positive approach which the club is crying out for.

Neil Lennon could well be a possibility, but I''m unconvinced. O''Neill? Holloway? Hoddle? Mackay? Robins? However, if I had to place a fiver on who it would be, I''d say it will be a manager in work, so I think Lennon is looking favourite.

When Lambert left I seem to remember Hughton saying the next manager would have premier league experience but that might not mean the EPL. So if he is ever in the position of recruiting again I would expect the same. That would rule out quite a lot of these lower league suggestions.