Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Genuine Hughton Replacement Candidates

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

When Lambert left I seem to remember Hughton saying the next manager would have premier league experience but that might not mean the EPL. So if he is ever in the position of recruiting again I would expect the same. That would rule out quite a lot of these lower league suggestions.

[/quote]

Hughton?

The thing is NCFC Star I would respect your opinion without feeling the need to be insulting. I see my suggestions as a mix of candidates that includes a couple of older more experienced candidates in Hoddle and O''Neill, one of which was only managing in the Premier League just a year or so ago, two who have been second in command at two of the biggest clubs in Europe until VERY recently and one foreign candidate who was only managinga top club in Russia until recently. The common thread they all have is plenty of experience and knowledge at the highest level plus they have all played at the highest level too, all internationals, even Mike Phelan (just the one cap though). I expected Hoddle to not get a positive response, hence the way I worded it....but from what I have seen there are not many around with as much technical nous as this guy and his team I think would certainly play the type of football so many seem to be demanding. 

Its not like I have suggested Ron Atkinson is it.........some on here just dont seem to be happy unless they have a dig, rather than simply accept that others just may have different opinions, some of which could well be very different to what theirs are!  

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

The thing is NCFC Star I would respect your opinion without feeling the need to be insulting. I see my suggestions as a mix of candidates that includes a couple of older more experienced candidates in Hoddle and O''Neill, one of which was only managing in the Premier League just a year or so ago, two who have been second in command at two of the biggest clubs in Europe until VERY recently and one foreign candidate who was only managinga top club in Russia until recently. The common thread they all have is plenty of experience and knowledge at the highest level plus they have all played at the highest level too, all internationals, even Mike Phelan (just the one cap though). I expected Hoddle to not get a positive response, hence the way I worded it....but from what I have seen there are not many around with as much technical nous as this guy and his team I think would certainly play the type of football so many seem to be demanding. 

Its not like I have suggested Ron Atkinson is it.........some on here just dont seem to be happy unless they have a dig, rather than simply accept that others just may have different opinions, some of which could well be very different to what theirs are!  

[/quote]It was hardly an insult, in fact it was more like a fact, as the late 90s was when your suggestions were ''in vogue''.  I can quite happily accept different opinions, it doesn''t mean that I agree with them though and I feel your suggestions are at best ludicrous.

OK then, with your superior knowledge, please explain why in each case these are ludicrous suggestions and wht they would have been "in vogue" in the late 90''s?????....

Accepting that I threw Glen Hoddle knowing it would not be popular choice for many and is a real long shot.....but why ludicrous?

......Martin O''Neill...ex Player and Manager for City, plus highly rated Premier League Manager........ why ludicrous?

David Platt.....ex England Captain and assistant to Mancini at Man City.....why ludicrous?

Micky Phelan...ex City player and assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at one of the biggest clubs in the World until last season, I think a popular choice with a few on here.....why ludicrous?

Ruud Gullitt.....has played at the top level throughout Europe, managed in The Premier League (was sacked with Chelsea in 2nd place), sure a long shot I threw in the mix for a bit of fun, but why so ludicrous?

Do you class the suggestion of Michael Owen ludicrous?  I couldnt be bothered to see if you have made suggestions.....but am interested to know who you would suggest??   

If Martin O''Neill can find the hunger, passion and drive in himself to be a PL manager again, then I think he''d be perfect for us. You don''t become a bad manager overnight. He did fairly recently turn Villa from borderline relegation candidates into Champions League contenders on a relatively low budget. And even his record at Sunderland wasn''t that bad to begin with.

Of all those mentioned i think Sean Dyche stands out, did nothing wrong at watford but got dumped on for not being italian and has been simply sensational at burnley since taking over, also he has a really gruff voice and looks like a doorman . I''ve been impressed with him ever since he came on the scene ...

MARCO VAN BASTEN OR FRANK RIJKAARDLets go for a big name,Respect from playersInstant response from players wanting to impress a big name managerEven at a cost for short term lets secure our place in the premier this year with a massive bonus for the new manager then hope we get him onside and he wants the job fulltimeCOME ON CITY, EFFIN LOVE YOU

Being realistic is a massive problem. I like the Lennon suggestion but not sure how realistic it is. I''ve also liked what I''ve seen of FC Basel during European games so maybe Murat Yakin. Martin O''Neil would have been ok before his stint at Sunderland where he looked a shadow of himself, he also signs a lot of poor or average players for excessive amounts of money. Trouble is I don''t see a stand out candidate in the lower divisions and you need inside knowledge to judge whether a foreign manager could adapt they often operate in a different way to a British manager who is in charge of everything. If Hughton does go I think it''s a case of just having to trust McNally.

Been mentioned before but are the coaches the problem?

Get rid of them, keep Hughton and give Neil Adams a role + AN Other?

Unfortunately managers and coaches come as a ready made team these days.

I think it''s a bit too much of a risk to give Phelan his first

managerial job (not withstanding his roles as assistant). There''s plenty

of more experienced managers out there, Zola isn''t a bad shout for

instance.If Hughton does go, why the rush into a permanent

appointment if there aren''t many suitable candidates? For obvious reasons, a lot of more suitable candidates could become available at the end of the season than at this stage.Someone mentioned

Co Adriaanse, perhaps someone like him could be persuaded to take charge

until the end of the season in this event. Although a manager might have

suggestions for potential signings, a lot of the player recruitment

these days is organised by others and merely rubber stamped by the man

in charge.

I know people would write this off but I actually think, as someone else has already said, that Hoddle could be quite a clever choice.

He''s still got something to prove, has now got very good contacts all over Europe plus has his academy in Spain. He is able to take youngsters that have been rejected from other academies and turn them into pro''s.

Plus he likes his teams to play football, to pass the ball.

I don''t want Hughton gone just yet mind you.

[quote user="chicken"]I know people would write this off but I actually think, as someone else has already said, that Hoddle could be quite a clever choice.

He''s still got something to prove, has now got very good contacts all over Europe plus has his academy in Spain. He is able to take youngsters that have been rejected from other academies and turn them into pro''s.

Plus he likes his teams to play football, to pass the ball.

I don''t want Hughton gone just yet mind you.[/quote]
Unless you''re a disabled.  Then he can go **** himself.

I would not welcome anyone based on these isles as our next manager and would be annoyed if we appointed someone like lennon.

So many forward thinking coaches on the continent, that''s what we need.

Anyone on this forum suggesting Mike Phelan is taking the Michael.

If Phelan was Norwich manager you can kiss goodbye to Prem football IMHO.

Me personally I''ve always liked Hoddle very intelligent manager.

You start going for these understudy managers you''re asking for trouble.Norwich are a Prem league club and without going all out for a top manager I''m afraid it won''t be long for the away trips to Yeovil & Gillingham fixtures on a Saturday afternoon will be seen again.

Phil Parkinson from Bradford City.

Maybe too soon for him at the moment, but in a couple of years this guy will be a top manager for someone.

I would rather have Hoddle than either Lennon or, as much as he''s a legend for us, Malky - although I think the best appointment could perhaps come from abroad. Could see Hoddle fitting in at Carrow Rd though, and irrespective of his beliefs, he knows how to play good attacking football. But I don''t want Hughton gone just yet, the poor sods had a row of bloody tough games and in most we''ve played very well - IF our luck doesn''t change by the end of November then...?

[quote user="Dubai Mark"]

OK then, with your superior knowledge, please explain why in each case these are ludicrous suggestions and wht they would have been "in vogue" in the late 90''s?????....

Accepting that I threw Glen Hoddle knowing it would not be popular choice for many and is a real long shot.....but why ludicrous?

......Martin O''Neill...ex Player and Manager for City, plus highly rated Premier League Manager........ why ludicrous?

David Platt.....ex England Captain and assistant to Mancini at Man City.....why ludicrous?

Micky Phelan...ex City player and assistant to Sir Alex Ferguson at one of the biggest clubs in the World until last season, I think a popular choice with a few on here.....why ludicrous?

Ruud Gullitt.....has played at the top level throughout Europe, managed in The Premier League (was sacked with Chelsea in 2nd place), sure a long shot I threw in the mix for a bit of fun, but why so ludicrous?

Do you class the suggestion of Michael Owen ludicrous?  I couldnt be bothered to see if you have made suggestions.....but am interested to know who you would suggest??   

[/quote]Blimey you''re a bit touchy aren''t you.  Is the heat getting to you out there?Hoddle hasn''t been in management since he flopped at Wolves, interestingly not scoring many goals and drawing a lot of games (sound familiar?)O''Neill - I would have accepted 5/6 years ago, but his last appointment at Sunderland and the ongoing health issues with his wife make him a no go for me.  And lets be honest he hasn''t been that successful since Leicester, he did OK at Villa whilst spending big bucks and anyone could manage Celtic to either 1st or 2nd in the SPL.David Platt, remember his spell at Forest?  Yes it may be many years on but he is not inspiring at all, in my opinion.Phelan - a complete gamble which is not what we need.  God knows if he even wants to be a manager.Gullit - Hasn''t managed in England since 1999, and a quick check on his last appointment shows he only won 3 games as manager.  In fact I just Wikipedia''d his last two managerial appointments:"Gullit clashed with midfielder Peter Vagenas who criticized him for completely neglecting set play practice during training.""As the season progressed Gullit would clash with just about every player""On 11 August 2008, Gullit resigned as coach from the Los Angeles Galaxy

citing personal reasons. This came following a seven-game winless

streak.""Gullit was sacked by the club on 14 June 2011, having only won 3 games

as manager. The club also said Gullit had a "party lifestyle"."
Still fancy Gullit?Any of your suggestions (aside from Phelan) could have walked into a job in the late 90s, that was the reasoning for my ''in vogue'' statement - do you disagree?I don''t have any suggestions, as I can''t see any realistic appointments out there, I don''t pretend to be a football hipster and know all about Spanish/German/French/Italian football so who knows if there is a manager out there for us.  If you really wanted me to nail my colours to a mast I''d probably go for either Eddie Howe or Gus Hiddink but I doubt either would come (especially Hiddink).

Good post. And it illustrates that whether or not you want Hughton out, that really is only a tiny part of the issue. The biggest part is who to appoint. Its all well and good stamping your feet and calling for his head, but make the wrong appointment and we''re right back at square one in 6 months time.There really aren''t any obvious candidates for me, if I was pushed I would possibly say Di Matteo, but of course we don''t know if he would come here, personally I doubt it. I don''t think the board would go with a man with little or no Premiership experience, which really does narrow the prospective candidates.

Some interesting and some ridiculous suggestions on this thread.

I''m happy with Hughton ..... for the time being but more especially have confidence in Mr McNally. If he feels we need a change I am sure there will be somebody lined up.

Many posters believe Chris Hughton has no Plan B. I feel quite sure David McNally will have!

Why don''t we repeat history and turn to a past player who''s a hero and loves the club so much they cannot turn down the job, despite the fact that it will tarnish their relationship with the fans and make them into a walking advert for dermatitis cream?

How about Grant Holt or one of the Darrens?