Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Genuine Hughton Replacement Candidates

A thread for the outers (or the inners if they feel so inclined) to suggest potential, attainable candidates if the board do decide they need a new man. No sniping or debating please, just simple nominations in the event the manager changes. I saw Stephen Pressley at Coventry mentioned yesterday which I thought was an interesting shout. Any other contenders?

Marcelo Bielsa.

A bit left field, and I''m not sure how obtainable, but he''s been proven to be a astute tactician producing excellent footballing sides.  

Meulensteen for me, adds a bit of continental flair, a few decent contacts to get some top players, instant connection with our dutch duo.

Bielsa is about to take the Peru job - and he would not work out in the Premier League in my opinion (not that he would really consider Norwich). Also I can''t think of one player in the current squad who would work in his 3-1-3-3 formation.

Meulensteen has just taken a very lucrative role with the Qatari FA so is also unavailable.

Michael Owen.

Although no idea if he has any intention of coaching/managing. Or if he''s just going to focus on punditry and his horses.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Michael Owen. Although no idea if he has any intention of coaching/managing. Or if he''s just going to focus on punditry and his horses.[/quote]

And if he isn''t available, how about Andy Townsend? He seems to know f***king everything, perhaps with Mark Lawrenson as his assistant.

Also surprised nobody has mentioned Iain Dowie, he''s been out of work for a while but deserves another go somewhere, why not here?

[quote user="Warren Hill"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Michael Owen. Although no idea if he has any intention of coaching/managing. Or if he''s just going to focus on punditry and his horses.[/quote]

And if he isn''t available, how about Andy Townsend? He seems to know f***king everything, perhaps with Mark Lawrenson as his assistant.

Also surprised nobody has mentioned Iain Dowie, he''s been out of work for a while but deserves another go somewhere, why not here?

[/quote]I gotta say GP, you kind of left yourself open for this kind of mocking. Suggesting Michael Owen as a replacement for CH is probably one of your worst ever suggestions........ and that''s saying something.

Why exactly?

What do you know about his management style and ability?

And what other suggestions are you ''saying something'' about?

Michael Owen knows a lot more about the current game than Lawro and Hansen. He''s a clever guy and just watching MOTD and hearing his commentary he clearly knows what he''s talking about, he said exactly what is wrong with our team (about another side). A problem Hughton could easily sort out himself by picking the right players and focusing in the right players (I.e not MR. Five minute build up Snoddy).

Yes Michael Owen, a clearly intelligent guy is a terrible suggestion... Because every other suggestion has been perfect, people just taking up other jobs and Dowie? Seriously? Worse suggestion than Mackay or Holloway.

The fact he isn''t actually a manager escapes you then?He has no measurable managerial style and ability.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Why exactly?

And what other suggestions are you ''saying something'' about?

Michael Owen knows a lot more about the current game than Lawro and Hansen. He''s a clever guy and just watching MOTD and hearing his commentary he clearly knows what he''s talking about, he said exactly what is wrong with our team (about another side). A problem Hughton could easily sort out himself by picking the right players and focusing in the right players (I.e not MR. Five minute build up Snoddy).

Yes Michael Owen, a clearly intelligent guy is a terrible suggestion... Because every other suggestion has been perfect, people just taking up other jobs and Dowie? Seriously? Worse suggestion than Mackay or Holloway.[/quote]I could put exactly the same question on to you. Yet, you''re suggesting to throw him into management at the top level.You could also argue Sherer is a decent MOTD pundit. Remind me how his management career went again?...and stop being so precious.

[quote user="morty"]The fact he isn''t actually a manager escapes you then?

He has no measurable managerial style and ability.
[/quote]

Or coaching badges so wouldn''t actually be allowed to manager the team under UEFA rules.

I thought saying Owen was a joke though?

Of course it doesn''t.

That''s my point.

I haven''t seen any decent suggestions of actual managers. Lennon is about as good as it gets. The rest are either PL failures, European managers who''d have no interest or already taking jobs, or lower league gambles.

If Owen became a manager he''d obviously get a competent experienced assistant. If we were going to take a risk you might as well base it on the person.

And it''s a suggestion, I''m not saying let''s go get him now am I...

Calling me precious?

Get over yourself ghost. If your going to insult me at least have the respect to answer my questions, otherwise don''t bother. It''s pointless.

Michael Owen was a fine footballer, he is more "current" than some other pundits but the guy has less charisma than Gary Barlow and I feel that Gary Neville and Lee Dixon both provide better insight than he does too. Imagine him delivering a team talk in that drab Northern monotone?

No, sorry, can''t be having him as a manager. Not when we could get Dowie, Steve Tilson or even Aidy Boothroyd.

"canary forever"I can''t see past Neil Lennon as our next manager

That''s not a bad shout Waveney.

Pressley also. And Thomas Tuchel was an interesting mention from before.

See! why would you want Dowie, Tilson or Boothroyd.

Boothroyd? That''s a better suggestion than Owen? Really?

He''s not even doing a great job in lower leagues, he had a few decent seasons at Watford playing drab football. Then went lower and lower. Fairly sure Dowie failed in PL.

Neville probably would be a better choice, but he''d rather be a coach with England and Man,U than manage us I''d think at the moment.

Even if he was Morty I''ve seen people suggest those and others like them seriously...

I don''t see why I''m getting such a hard time for a silly suggestions when plenty don''t have the first clue about who we''d get in, and most of those are people who want Hughton gone.

I haven''t looked into it because I don''t want Hughton gone. If I did I''d spend an hour or two on Wiki looking for the next Laudrup...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Calling me precious?

Get over yourself ghost. If your going to insult me at least have the respect to answer my questions, otherwise don''t bother. It''s pointless.[/quote]OK, sure.Why exactly?

As answered in my above post, this is the exact issue. No one does, yet you want him as our manager.And what other suggestions are you ''saying something'' about?

I don''t have time to go all over your history. However I had a good laugh this week at the suggestion that Johnson was better than Tettey, and then getting all uppity when challenged that your opinion was wrong (kind of like you are on this thread).Michael Owen knows a lot more about the current game than Lawro and

Hansen. He''s a clever guy and just watching MOTD and hearing his

commentary he clearly knows what he''s talking about, he said exactly

what is wrong with our team (about another side)
As previously stated, a good MOTD pundit does not make a good manager. Pundits also make observations retrospectively, It''s much easier to point out a mistake than make the correct call at the time.Yes Michael Owen, a clearly intelligent guy is a terrible suggestion...

Yes it is. He hasn''t managed at any level. It''s one of the stupidest suggestions of managers on this board.Because every other suggestion has been perfect, people just taking up

other jobs and Dowie? Seriously? Worse suggestion than Mackay or

Holloway.
Stop talking like a petulant schoolgirl. Not once did I suggest these suggestions were great.GP - I generally like your posts. I have seen you on this message board evolve from someone who could barely string a sentence together to someone who sometimes can add value to many conversations. But sometimes, when someone doesn''t agree with you, or calls you out for being a bit of a d**k, you go all petulant and defensive. Sometimes we''re all a d**k. Sometimes people call us out for being a d**k. When that happens, don''t react by being a bigger d**k.

I didn''t say Johnson was better, I said they are equal. I said Tettey was no better.

And for goodness sake, i''m not getting uppity, i''m giving my opinion. Like you are giving yours. Its hilarious you and others think i''m getting upset or angry just because i''m defending my opinion, its what people do...

When someone disagrees with me am I just supposed to go away? Whats the point in any of us giving an opinion if we aren''t allowed to back that opinion up when someone challenges us?

You''ve backed your opinion up, great. I''m not going to call you a d**k for disagreeing with you. I completely understand why you wouldn''t want Owen.

Oh and I never said you said those managers were great, I was making a general point about the majority of the suggestions i''ve seen on here and on twitter, and in person. Because contrary to popular I do have a life outside of the Pinkun...

Maybe if someone could just tell me when i''m allowed to reply I wouldn''t be such a d**k........

Michael Owen is an awful suggestion. I thought it was a joke when I first read it - I even laughed.

How can you consider hiring someone, with no managerial experience, to take over a side in the bottom 3? It would be suicide, we would get relegated, the board would be heavily criticised and we would be back to square one.

All this talk of European managers can stop as well. The people suggesting them will know next to nothing about them - the odd game at most - and are plucking them out of thin air because they are exotic and exciting. I saw someone posted a stat highlighting that clubs with foreign managers always perform better... Yes, we probably would perform better with one of the foreign managers currently in the prem (Wenger, Mourihno, AVB, Pochettino, Pellegrini, Laudrup, Jol, Poyet), but that is because they either world class managers or up and coming managers who were world class players (excluding Jol, possibly!).

Yes, we could get the latter (ex-world class player, not Jol) but I can''t imagine that ML or MP came cheaply. I don''t think we could attract that kind of manager.

McNally stated before we hired Hughton, that he was looking for someone with Premiership experience. That is sensible thinking, presuming we are in the mix for relegation. This completely rules out any of this European manager nonesense and suggests someone closer to home.

I''m not saying that they will be British - just not fresh from abroad. That would be too much of a risk.

Now I am not a Hughton outer, but for fun I would say Di Matteo, O''Neil. Lennon or Zola could be interesting but, again, they have not managed in the prem.

If Hughton was to leave soon I would be happy with Martin O''Neill. Maybe even look abroad because you''ve only got to look at Swansea and Southampton, they will be teams that occupy a place in the Prem for years to come.

This would never happen but wouldn''t mind seeing Solskjaer as manager and Gary Neville as his assistant.

Has to be Neil Lennon for me. I don''t think he could turn down the chance to manage in the Premier League.