Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

Bring back the diamond!

Get back to what made us good, Stoke had to last season when they tried fancy football and nearly got relegated, they went back to bullying teams starting with when they beat us.

We''re short of wingers as it is so why not get the diamond going again?

The diamond was evolved to fit in the special gifts of Wes. Are you suggesting that he be given a regular spot as well?

The problem with the diamond was that the midfield became narrow.  Once the wide man were forward, the back four were exposed and we tended to ship goals. It suited Lambert and our progress from lower divisions, but I can''t see CH using it. We don''t need a greater attacking presence. We created 30 chances against Cardiff, but we converted none. We need to turn chances into goals, and fortunately both our main strikers should be fit soon.

Olsson will play as a winger on Saturday, but I would actually prefer to see us play wing backs.

That is the next ''tactical fashion'' and we should try and be ahead of the competition.

I''m a little bit non-plused by Kangaroo Court''s post.We played the diamond formation for at least half the season in the Premiership under Lambert and we stayed up comfortably. Unlike last season where we were on the verge of going down until right near the end of the season under Hughton after an abysmal 2013. This season has just been a continuation of last season under Hughton, only this time Hughton will probably take us down despite spending a small fortune in the transfer market in the summer.

I personally would bring back the diamond formation. Yes we would ship a few more goals, but considering we''ve shipped 8 in the last two games scoring 1 what difference would it make? I would prefer us to at least have two strikers in the box when we get forward and the diamond formation at least offers us that. After all, we might actually score a goal for once!

You know the same thought occured to me at Carrow Road last saturday we seemed to be palying so narrow with only the full backs for width -that we might as well be playing with a diamond - at least then with two up front we might get to score a goal or too... I''d put Howson at the tip not Hoolahan (on current form)...

I''d like to see it brought back. It''s our best chance to include both Hooper and Van Wolfswinkel and also Howson and Wes in midfield together.

Wishful thinking that Hughton would be able to create a new formation ala Lambert or Rodgers. He''s such a limited tactician it''s ridiculous!

Reply to an Existing Message

The message you are replying to: Re: Bring back the diamond!

Canary Poirot wrote the following post at 30/10/2013 6:25 PM:

I''m a little bit non-plused by Kangaroo Court''s post.We played the diamond formation for at least half the season in the Premiership under Lambert and we stayed up comfortably. Unlike last season where we were on the verge of going down until right near the end of the season under Hughton after an abysmal 2013. This season has just been a continuation of last season under Hughton, only this time Hughton will probably take us down despite spending a small fortune in the transfer market in the summer.

I personally would bring back the diamond formation. Yes we would ship a few more goals, but considering we''ve shipped 8 in the last two games scoring 1 what difference would it make? I would prefer us to at least have two strikers in the box when we get forward and the diamond formation at least offers us that. After all, we might actually score a goal for once!

---------------------------------

Really? we played at least half our season in the premiership under lambert playing the diamond? What was you watching? we played either 451 with two wingers most of the time. some times we played 442.

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Really? we played at least half our season in the premiership under

lambert playing the diamond? What was you watching? we played either 451

with two wingers most of the time. some times we played 442.[/quote]Er, yes! We played a diamond formation in about half of our games that season. Lamber only played a flat 442 a handful of times and it didn''t really work. Wes was only really played in ''the hole'' so you can go back and look at the games where he played along with two strikers as us playing the diamond. I also remember E. Bennett playing in the hole when we beat Swansea. It certainly is an option worth considering, especially against some of the lesser teams.

Actually no, we rarely played the diamond in the Premier League with Lambert as we were getting found out whilst playing it.

I really cannot see why it has to be a case of bring back the diamond and scrap everything else . Or let''s always play two up front from now on, and never just one.

For God''s sake these guys are supposed to be Premier Lge standard professional players. Are you really suggesting that they are only capable of playing one style for a given period or even a whole 90 mins ? Is it not at least conceivable that during a run of games or even within one game a fundamental change in formation cannot be seamlessly utilised ?

I honestly think that football is a horses for courses type game, and the team needs to adapt to quickly changing circumstances. This really has been at the root of the whole Hughton regime''s failure. He seems to stick doggedly to his one and only plan/formation, when it is blindingly obvious that a Plan B +C is needed.

The diamond may not suit every game, far from it, but when the players are comfortable with that formation it does give the manager more options and keeps the opposition guessing. Yes we should play it from time to time like we should rotate the squad to keep players match fit.

considering the only half decent wingers we have are now injured it might not be a bad ideaalthough man city will tear us a new one with the pace they have out wide

[quote user="Vanwink"]we should rotate the squad to keep players match fit.[/quote]And if we had a couple of wins and Hughton changed the team which subsequently lost, there would be uproar on here as to why he had changed a winning team. Who''d be a manager?

[quote user="iron_stan"]considering the only half decent wingers we have are now injured it might not be a bad ideaalthough man city will tear us a new one with the pace they have out wide[/quote]I''m expecting a 4-5-1 on Saturday with little emphasis on actual attacking.The lone striker is going to have to work very hard, so expect Hooper to start, then be replaced when he''s knackered.

lappinitup wrote the following post at 31/10/2013 4:34 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

we should rotate the squad to keep players match fit.

And if we had a couple of wins and Hughton changed the team which subsequently lost, there would be uproar on here as to why he had changed a winning team. Who''d be a manager?

It doesn''t matter if there is uproar on here, what matters is making the right managerial decisions to bring us success.

Couldn''t have put it better myself VW. Basically what any of us say on here counts for little in the grand scheme of things. The one thing CH can do to ensure there is no uproar is to start winning football matches.

I''m with Morty on this. We still have enough capable personnel to go for 4-5-1 setup. Wouldn''t mind betting that one of Snods or Redmond will be fit for the bench at least, and Josh Murphy gets an outing at some point.

[quote user="morty"]I''m expecting a 4-5-1 on Saturday with little emphasis on actual attacking.

[/quote]so the same as the past 30 + matches then

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="morty"]I''m expecting a 4-5-1 on Saturday with little emphasis on actual attacking.

[/quote]so the same as the past 30 + matches then[/quote]

[URL=http://s869.photobucket.com/user/mortymccarthy/media/640232a712_zps57437961.gif.html][IMG]http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab257/mortymccarthy/640232a712_zps57437961.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Yes bring back the diamond and get overrun by not only the biggest teams in the league, but the West Ham''s and the Sunderland''s of this world as well. Cracking idea!