Sign in to follow this  
Green and Yellow fellow

January Transfer Market.

What sort of players do we think needs to come in?

I know we can''t get the ball in the net but personally I''d still like to see another quality defender or two, with possibly another player which would allow us to change tactics/formation. Assuming Hughton is still in charge by then.

However if we carry on struggling, and our position in the league doesn''t change much from now until then, will we have as much pulling power as we did in the summer? By that I mean would we be able to bring in as much quality compared to our rivals, such as Newcastle, Villa, Hull, West Brom, Swansea ect ? It''s obvious that we already have quality with like likes of Fer, Hooper, RVW, but will that be enough, when potential transfer targets look at our league position compared to our rivals?

A midfielder with technical ability and a creative spark. To thread balls through to our strikers where they want it and to get it out wide early.

When Hughton is sacked there will be a huge outflow of players in January Wolf/Hooper/Redmond/Fer will all be snapped up, and we will not be able to attract any decent replacements.Good job we stayed in the Prem for a third season, or we could have made the quickest up and down from League 1 and back to League 1 in history!Can see us doing a Wolves here, at least we can rely on the support of united fans.................oh hang on

zaha on loanand a pacey right back (ideal world this would be naughton)

the next logical step is an upgrade to replace howson/tettey to play alongside fer, that sort of player doesnt come cheap, potentially a new club record, especially in january

Why would you want to replace Howson the best player on the pitch yesterday and renew a contract of a player who can''t play a full game because he is never fit enough

I''m not a Hughton outer (just yet) but I don''t want to think about us throwing money at the problem if we are in a relegation dogfight with the same manager.Even if we pull away from the bottom three I think the only acquisition that can be justified in January is a centre back, which is the position that we look to have failed to strengthen (missed out on two targets).Perhaps loans would be a better idea, perhaps with a fee arranged for the end of the season if we stay up - spending more money and then going down (Hughton or no Hughton) would leave us in serious trouble.Hughton needs to start winning games with what he has at his disposal, if he doesn''t then we need a manager who may be able to win with what we have at the club. If Hughton saves his job over the next few weeks then an alternative to Alderweild is the only transfer that can really be justified, he has played his hands now - we don''t need more Becchio''s, needs to get the best out if what he has.

We still need the No 10 to make this formation work that we needed in the summer Howsons goals do not make up for the fact he doesn''t have the range of passes required to play in an advanced role.

I might consider pushing Fer into the forward role and Keeping Howson in the position he had last year maybe this would mean at least 2-3 passes to our striker each game.

Turner is still more like the player that arrived last summer than the one playing once settled in, seems to have a mistake in him every week.

Would play Bennet immediately and get another Centre Back

Bassong has been shakier than Turner.

But neither have been bad enough to be replaced by Bennett.

I think we have two reliable right backs in Martin and Whittaker but not great right backs so maybe this is the position I''d look to be filling. Elliott Bennett should be back by then so once fit he will be like another signing, if he hadn''t got injured I think he would be in the team ahead of Snodgrass.

I''m also in the Bennett for Turner camp as Bennett is a much better footballer and needs game time to adapt to the premier league.

[quote user="GJP"]

Bassong has been shakier than Turner.

But neither have been bad enough to be replaced by Bennett.

[/quote]Bennett has started one Premier League game this season.We kept a clean sheet in that game.There are questions over Bassong''s fitness and Turner''s best game came alongside Bennett, so I''d consider it personally.Bennett has been in good form since April, beginning to look like a very good player, what problem do you have with him?

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

I think we have two reliable right backs in Martin and Whittaker but not great right backs so maybe this is the position I''d look to be filling. Elliott Bennett should be back by then so once fit he will be like another signing, if he hadn''t got injured I think he would be in the team ahead of Snodgrass.

I''m also in the Bennett for Turner camp as Bennett is a much better footballer and needs game time to adapt to the premier league.

[/quote]I think that Whittaker is our best right back due to his ability going forward and personally would be starting him ahead of Martin.

I think Norwich''s major deficient area in recent years has always been the quality in central midfield. its why we seem to have always needed to choose to be either ultra-attacking or ultra-defensive, as the midfield is incapable of quickly converting defence into attack or reliably generating the creativity needed, so we attacked in numbers. Fer coming in has made a massive difference, but the job is only half done. I predicted at the start of the season that BJ would play less that 50% of games this season, as I didnt think Hughton saw him as the future, despite his reliance on him last season. So far this has been the case. I think Fer needs a quality central midfield partner, and Id splurge all my money here. Howson is showing signs he can do the AM job we desperately need, but if we can have someone to do the Tettey role, but who can also do everything else, this would be a massive leap forward in my opinion. This could be either Fer doing the Tettey role and a new midfielder play like Leroy is at the moment, or keep Leroy where he is and bring in a more well rounded defensive midfielder

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"]

Bennett has been in good form since April, beginning to look like a very good player, what problem do you have with him?
[/quote]

My "problem" with Bennett is that he''s not as good as either of the other two.

He has improved a bit, I don''t deny that. In my opinion he''s some way off being a "very good player". But I guess that depends how easily impressed you are. He''s not my idea of a very good player.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="The New Boy Le Juge"]Bennett has been in good form since April, beginning to look like a very good player, what problem do you have with him?[/quote]

My "problem" with Bennett is that he''s not as good as either of the other two.

He has improved a bit, I don''t deny that. In my opinion he''s some way off being a "very good player". But I guess that depends how easily impressed you are. He''s not my idea of a very good player.

[/quote]Well I agree that he isn''t as good as an in-form Turner, or a fully fit Bassong, but neither Bassong or Turner are currently at their best.Turner and Bennett played excellently together against Stoke and Bennett is a real threat from corners (could have done with that against Cardiff).

Surely one of the main priorities has got to be a winger? Only needs to be on loan, but someone that will at least challenge Snoddy for his shirt...

Pilks starting is a given, but for me Redmond is much more useful as an impact sub at this stage for the majority of our games. With Benno out, our only backup option is Murphy who (although having a lot of potential) shouldn''t have to be brought in with that much on his shoulders...

We could do with a deep lying playmaker. We need someone who plays in Tettey''s position but with better long range passing and the ability to thread the ball through to the strikers or start attacks by playing the ball to the wide men early.We''re frequently in attacking situations around the opposition penalty area where our midfielders are pressing high and the ball is either played back by a Norwich player or headed clear by the other side. We lack someone who can play a defence-splitting pass along the ground from this position and hence the ball ends up being played back around our defence unnecessarily often.

missing out on Huddlestone was a mistake, at the price he went for and with his ability, exactly the player we need

The greatest concern at the moment is clearly in the strikers - who are clearly toothless. If this cannot be solved with existing personnel, then a further signing becomes necessary, especially as CH seems to have little faith in Becchio, and we have two and a half strikers only.

The defence is becoming a slight concern, especially in the light of Tettey''s injury. I think that Olsson has made an improvement, but I am concerned about Turner and Bassong, - neither has fully recovered their best form of last year, and seem a little slow now. Could we trust Ayala, and will he want to return in any case?

The one area where things are on the up is the midfield, although Benno''s injury and Pilks''s proneness to injury are a concern. Immediately we also have concern about Tettey, Snoddy and Redmond, but it is to be hoped that these are temporary problems. The three-man centre of Fer, Howson and Tettey offers much promise to become one of our best units for some time.

So January may see us confidently under CH or his successor looking for another defender, or desperately trying to find a striker.

The January Transfer Market is up in the air because it will depend a lot on who in charge. I don''t expect to be Hughton, though whatever he could bring in, he won''t get the best out of them as has already been proven across the team.

A new guy will get some money, but not a lot I imagine as the club clearly didn''t think this would be necessary after the summer spending. It will be a ''keep us up and we''ll review it in the summer''.

WHAT ???

I do not agree frankly we have the best squad we have ever had.

We are still suffering from not signing a running passing shooting no10 and have to make do with either

a running / shooting Howson

a running / passing Fer

a Passing Hoolahan

I believe in almost all our strikers that if they get chances in the correct areas they are good enough to get the goals, sadly as last season we are not getting the ball to them therefore they are not scoring.

I cannot really imagine that this could not be addressed tactically in training but nothing seems to be changing.

I am happy with our squad although I think Turner has looked shakey so another CB would be good

Why sign another striker ? that would leave us with £13 million worth of talent sitting on the bench while the new man runs around like a headless chicken looking for a scrap or two to feed off . I suggest the striker problem will solve itself when Chris Hughton leaves the club .

CanaryOne wrote the following post at 31/10/2013 3:44 PM:

Why sign another striker ? that would leave us with £13 million worth of talent sitting on the bench while the new man runs around like a headless chicken looking for a scrap or two to feed off . I suggest the striker problem will solve itself when Chris Hughton leaves the club .

Absolutely Canaryone, and no decent striker in his right mind would want to come here as things stand!

[quote user="KeelansGlove"]. I am happy with our squad although I think Turner has looked shakey so another CB would be good[/quote]

Turner has been our strongest defender so far.

I would think its quite blatant what the priority is....as it was back in the summer.

for a manager who wants to play a 4-4-1-1 , Hughton signed players in just about very position bar the "no.10" role in the summer. This is THE most important player in that system...its what defines the system.

Instead we bought 3 strikers who seemingly can neither play up front together or as a lone striker.

someone was and is still needed to play in that role who can break from midfield ,score his fair share of goals and provide a supply to the main striker.

Were it down to me though, our current manager won''t be the one here in January to identify him.

But "our current manager" identified two in the summer but neither could be persuaded to move to us, so we ended up with Elmander. If either Toinovon or Quags had signed this message boardwould, in all probability, be a completely different place on which to comment. And before anyone gets on CH''s back for failing to sign either of them one wanted to stay in Italy and the other seemed to want too much money, both of which scenarios are outside his powers to change.