Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Will injuries force Hughton's hand?

I don''t suppose these injuries will see CH abandon his preferred system, but he might at least take the opportunity to mix it up a bit.

What about:

Whittaker---Martin---Bennett---Garrido

Pilks------Johnson------Fer------Olsson
-----------------------Howson-----------

------------------Hooper-----------------

[quote user="a1canary"]

I don''t suppose these injuries will see CH abandon his preferred system, but he might at least take the opportunity to mix it up a bit.

What about:

Whittaker---Martin---Bennett---Garrido

Pilks------Johnson------Fer------Olsson
-----------------------Howson-----------

------------------Hooper-----------------

[/quote]

I''d be surprised if he drops Basso or Turner, and I expect Martin at RB, especially after Whittaker was done for pace at the Etihad last season for one of their goals.

Your central midfield is what I expect with Tettey out and assuming Redmond is unavailable, Olsson on the left makes sense although how Hughton deals with the flanks with so many injuries is tricky.  Got to be Hooper up front.

So the back line I''m expecting is Martin/Basso/Turner/Garrido, assuming Olsson is ahead of Garrido on the wing, but otherwise I agree, this is our probable lineup tomorrow.

I hope and expect Murphy to be sub.

I kind of alluded to this yesterday. I just wonder if "out of adversity"....etc the events of this week mean that CH will effectively be forced to try something new, and, thereby, stumble on a new formation or tactic that is a season-changer.

Not saying this WILL happen, but it''s not unknown?

Any suggestions for what that different formation might be ?  This is a fixture where realistically we are going to have less possession than them and will be under pressure for a lot of the game.

A lot of people are keen on the idea of 2 strikers, like we used at Spurs, personally I think that would be suicide at the Etihad.  I want us to use the same formation and approach as we did at Stoke, but inevitably the chances are against us.

He can play either Jimmy, nothing wrong with being versatile

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"]Olssons abilities do seem more suited to Left mid, why is he even a full back to start with?[/quote]

It''s like players such as Roberto Carlos or even Leighton Baines - they have been tried at left wing but could never perfom as well.

Playing at left back means you get to see how things are developing ahead of you and then steam in at the right moment to produce a cross or create space - the marking of a left back is usually a little bit less tight also. Playing at left mid often means having to get going from a standing start or playing with back to goal.

Just because a left back is good at attacking, it doesn''t mean they will make a good winger - there are a million examples of this as managers have tried to push round pegs in square holes.

The system we''ve been moving towards the last three (league anyway) games is fine, and we''re getting better at playing it each game, no reason to change it imo. I expect we''ll see like for like changes of the injured players. Whats more of a concern for me is that with a lack of squad rotation, players that come in due to injuries are likely to be rusty. We all saw how dreadful and unmotivated our squad players looked in the cup.

Having only seen highlights of Tuesday, Garrido looks well off the pace and I for one would not change Olsson from left back, the same for Martin at right back, the entire back 4 will be the same.

From there on it''s difficult but he will probably go with:

Johnson, Fer, Pilkington and Howson and play Elmander in the hole with Hooper up top.

I don''t think Wes will be started and I hope that Murphy gets on the bench.