Sign in to follow this  
Thomo

Get Voting for safestanding guys!!

2 of my fellow Barclay End Projekt members met with Chloe Smith

yesterday and after discussing the pro''s and con''s of Safestanding, her

head was turned.

The EDP have a poll to see who''s in favour etc but before you vote, i''d like to know.....

Your age....in 10''s of years if you don''t want to disclose to everyone.

Would you stand want to stand if it was viable?

Would you pay the same price as current to Stand?

Would you oppose a standing area in the ground? If so, Why? What are your concerns?

User Posted Link

I will start....I''m 31 (32 next week!)

I most definitely would stand.

It would help to create a better atmosphere with like minded singing areas able to come together.

It would allow people who want to sit, to sit in comfort without having

to worry about confronting the person standing in front of them.

It would create the possibility of 700 extra standing fans per every 100

currently seated. meaning extra revenue for the club even if they

lowered prices.

It would not be a return to the old days, Crowd Surges are not possible due to a rail seperating each second row of fans.

Standing does not make you a hooligan!

I''m far too old to stand for ninety minutes and if people are prepared to stand for the same money as for a seat then who am I to complain.As long as nobody stands in front of me then I couldn''t care less.If its going to mean more room then I would like a bigger seat. In fact I would prefer a large comfy settee with lots of cushions.[:D]

What''s Chloe like? She always seems so nice on the telly, except for thast time with Jeremy Paxman, he kept asking her if she was incompetent, was she incompetent?

Did you ask her if she was incompetent? I expect she get asks it a lot.

Who will be footing the bill for this and as for turning Chloe Smith''s head smell the coffee as she is only in it for the votes. I doubt she has ever been to Carrow Road.

NO ..I like being able to sit if I want to .

I don''t care if people want to stand elsewhere , but don''t want to lose my seat in its present location in the Barclay .

Where did the figure of 700 per 100 seats come from ? that means an all standing old Trafford would take 525,000 ! 

I am in line with Ricardo''s thinking on this one. When I do get to a live match these days even sitting in those crappy plastic seast kills my dodgy knees. I get so annoyed when people stand in seating areas in front of those who want to sit...but, would fully support an area like the lower Barclay being converted into a safestanding area...but then get extra tough on those standing in seated areas.....yep I am a GOM!

In my mid 30s

Mainly away game attender, so used to standing up and would like a designated standing section in every away end. This is so that those of us who prefer to stand (like me) don''t inconvenience those who prefer or have to sit. (Yes I do sit down when requested or if everyone in front is seated.)

I would pay the same to stand if that''s what it took. So if I was convinced it was necessary to charge the same to stand due to the cost of converting to safe standing. I would expect a small discount eventually to acknowledge the higher customer density.

I have very good experiences of safe standing in German and Belgian grounds. German fans are no less aggressive and passionate in their support than UK ones, but it works. You can get higher attendances and the crowd experience is incredible.

In response to one of the more ignorant seeming comments on the edp article, I myself don''t know why anybody in full physical health would want to sit at a match, *given the choice* to stand in the modern safe style, once they have sampled it.

That''s not to say there aren''t also legitimate voices opposed to it but I think they also appear sometimes to come from the mindset & assumptions of the 80s. Or a wish to keep the status quo for the sake of it, ignoring the ''market evidence'' that standing in *certain* core home & away areas is the norm at most grounds, but not as safe as if formalised with the proper equipment.

Whilst you may be right, she was originally opposed to it and returned a response which was the stock response to this kind of letter, we followed it up and she liked what the lads had to say.The club would obviously pay for the work but it would pay for itself in time and it would be a damn sight cheaper than developing a whole new construction above the city stand or any of the other proposals that have previously been discussed by the club and the UEA. (not that i know figures or anything)as far as standing goes...you get around 1700 to every 1000 seated.3000 seats in the Lower Barclay at £30 a pop = £90k per match5100 spaces with standing at £20 = £102k per matchand that''s suggesting they even change the pricing which they possibly wouldn''t need to do, due to current demand.We also have Simon Wright MP on side, who is a current ST holder in the Barclay Upper and would love standing to be reintroduced.For more about safestanding go to ..... http://www.safestandingroadshow.co.ukor for more about the Barclay End Projekt .....http://barclayendprojekt.org/

Sorry that should have read 700 extra seats to every 1000. So, increasing the barclay from about 3000 to 5100.

Why don''t you call a meeting rather than just get a straw poll on a website. I for one would like to discuss and debate it with you Thomo and the lads as you describe them.Who exactly are you and what experience and expertise do you have with such matters ? With regard to the finance aspect you appear to have just pulled simplistic figures from thin air i.e. £30 for a seat and £20 for standing unless of course Mr.McNally has given you the heads up. What do you propose will happen to season ticket holders who like where they sit ( somebody has already stated this) and will obviously be inconvenienced ?

Most importantly has there been a meeting with the likes of Mr.Mcnally and Mr. Bowkett or are you just hoping this matter will be forced upon them by a change in Government legislation?

I am not being negative but box ticking and giving a yes to an unknown group is not for me. As I said Chloe Smith is vote seeking and Simon Wright is sitting on a seat he could easily lose so not really surprised they have given you the nod.

No probs TIL 1010. I''m a 32 (well next week) year old ST holder in the Barclay Lower. An occasional poster on the Wrath of the Barclay and lurker on here.I have no expertise in the matter as such, but a passion to help improve the overall experience of football not only at Carrow Road but across the country. I along with a few like minded fans decided we wanted to start a new supporters group for Norwich that campaigned for things we believe in. With ticketing prices and safestanding being at the forefront of our minds.However, we are in contact with the football supporters federation (we handed out TwentysPlenty leaflets for them at the West Brom home game last season) and fully support their campaign along with Jon Darch of the Safestanding Roadshow. We are hoping to educate MP''s, Journo''s, Fans and the club alike and give them an opportunity to view Jon''s mobile terrace that he brings to a game/meeting. We have been unable to address Mr McNally on the matter so far, and obviously we already know his feelings on the matter and the loss of a friend that he has previously mentioned. While it is an emotive subject for him, it is not something that can simply be ignored, we hope to prove the safety aspects of the proposed railseat and give him evidence that the football fans of this club are in favour of such an area within Carrow Road.We want Norwich City to be one of the clubs that WANT this so we can add our name to the current list of clubs in favour. If 14 of the top tier say yes, the government will have to look at.Even if a motion is passed, that doesn''t mean a club has to adhere to it. We want OUR club to be leader in this, we want David McNally to want this rather than use the death of his friend as a reason against it. We all know what happened at Hillsborough, most of us know it was not standing that caused it either. This terrace experience will be safe. People could argue that they said Titanic was safe, but we did not stop using boats, we improved them.Cheers,Thomo

Thomo the best of luck with this. I am of the mind that if and thats a big "if" this concept of safestanding is proven to be safe, then why should there not be a stand or section of a stand at every league ground converted. I''m saying that even though I never actually enjoyed standing myself and couyldnt wait to get a seat, but because this is about choice, being open to change, and it would be great if our club was the first or one of the first to go with it...as long, as I said, it is proven to be safe.  In addition, if one day it is introduced, I would like to see it priced lower than seating so as to ensure that football is affordable to a greater number of fans.

Definitely in favour.I''m late 30''s, stand every game in the lower Barclay anyway and would be happy to pay the same price.I can''t see a real argument against safe standing and those who relate it to Hillsborough are being daft, however emotive that subject is.Bring back Hooliganism? Well, there still is hooliganism but it wouldn''t increase it as football has changed dramatically since those dark days of the 80s. People still may take a p!ss whilst standing would be my only reasonable concern.

I sit in the Barclay and want to remain sitting in the Barclay. I stood for years from the 60s onwards, my legs wont take it anymore.

I have no objection in principle to a standing area but not in my back yard

Thanks for the response Thomo but I am still none the wiser who you or "the lads" are that met Chloe Smith. All I gathered was you are 32 and a season ticket holder in the Barclay. If you want to sell this you really must be more proactive than just a website asking for support.

I am surprised that you appear not to have embraced the Club on this notwithstanding Mr.McNally''s personal experience of Hillsborough. I would have thought that questions could have been asked at the fans Forum held on 8th October by yourselves or someone on your behalf.

The financial aspect of it all appears to me as far as NCFC is concerned to be fag packet accountancy and lacking in any hard facts. No mention of you guys gleaning support at a meeting in a pub or wherever. Why not ?

Anyway best of luck but I personally think you must having the backing of NCFC before you have any hope of overturning the current legislation. It is one thing Government saying to clubs that standing areas will be permitted but another finding someone to finance it and whilst I mentioned your fag packet ticket pricing any ideas how much to make this happen in either the Barclay or N&P lower ?

Age 55

Deff would stand if available

would not expect to pay anymore in fact I would expect it to be cheaper

Would not appose any standing area after all had cracking days out at the likes of Yeovil, Peterborough ect.

Will be interesting to see how it goes at Peterborough as I think their new stand ( the away end ) is going to be one of the new "German "style seats/standing sections.

Personally I will now stay seated as firstly I''m a shortarse and secondly mrs Frank couldn''t stand for that long now.

I also agree with Tils comments too