Sign in to follow this  
Yella Foreva

With Tettey out would you....

With Tettey being out injured for several weeks, you would assume that Bradley Johnson will slot into his role and the shape of the team would stay the same. My question is would you give Cameron McGeehan a place on the bench? Now that Fox is gone we are not blessed with central midfielders in the squad. You would assume that if one of the current three (Fer, Howson and Johnson) got injured that Wes would be first on with Fer or Howson moving deeper. Would you then have McGeehan on the bench as he is a simular player to Johnson and Tettey? If he doesnt come on it would still be a great learning curve in being in and around the squad.

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Turner Garrido

Pilkington Johnson Fer Olsson

Howson

Hooper

Bunn Whittaker Bennett Hoolahan Elmander Murphy Becchio

Johnson, whatever his limitations, enjoyed CH''s favour virtually all last season, and he did repay it with whole-hearted commitment, especially when Tettey''s game went off. The manager''s loyalty seems to have waned slightly, especially in the light of the burgeoning impact of the midfield three of Fer. Howson and Tettey. I suspect that CH''s enthusiasm for Wes has probably also taken a knock.

The only way I can see Jonson starting would be if both Redmond and Snodgrass are unfit, otherwise I hope that the midfield would be reinforced by Whittaker or Olsson, both of whom are much more constructive than Johnson, that is to say pass better. (I doubt if Fox would have made it for the opposite reason - he could pick long passes but he struggled to tackle effectively. Some of the other midfielders we have let go might have been better bets - Korey or Adyemi, for instance.)

We are where we are, with a fairly slim available squad, and if both Redmond and Snodgrass are unfit I would expect to see two defenders Olsson''  Whittaker and Pilks  in a five man midfield, with the two of them told to push up. I very much doubt that McGeehan would be used in such a big match, given the inclination of CH not to play Murphy very much. McGeehan must be younger and less experienced?

Tettey out for several weeks with ligament damage, RVW out of man city game, redmond and snodgrass major doubts. down to the bare bones.

I would personally go with;

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Garrido

Pilkington Fer Howson Olsson

Hooper

Elmander

Bunn, Whitts, Bennett, Hoolahoop, Murphy, Becchio, Johnson

Whilst there''s no disputing that a loss of Tettey, Snods, Redmond and RvW is a big blow, I just wonder if this week will turn out to be one of those seminal moments when, as a result of the manager effectively having his hand forced, he stumbles on a new formation/tactic that is a season changer?

How''s that for a spot of mindless optimism ?? May just happen though !

[quote user="Eadie4England"]at todays press conference, u guys need to get on twitter[/quote]I have it, just haven''t looked at it all day[Y]

This Tettey injury is an absolute disaster. He has been immense recently and Johnson this season appears to have completely lost it. This is a major blow and I suppose the only silver lining is that over the next few weeks we play a few weaker teams against whom his absence might not be so keenly felt.

The RVW injury also in my view raises some serious question marks over having him on the bench/bringing him on against Cardiff for 3 minutes as well as the idiotic decision to bring Hooper on for the last few minutes at Old Trafford when we presumably knew RVW was injured and that we would need Hooper to start on Saturday.

And what a pleasure it is, given all the things we could be downbeat about, to hear Russ Martin use words and phrases such as;

"We go in with a positive mindset"

"Not getting what we deserve, we''ll keep believing though"

"We played with real freedom last year. We went there enjoyed it and expressed ourselves".

As Henry Ford once said. "If you think you can do a thing or think you cannot do a thing, you will be right."

So much better to hear one of our players talk in this way than to say such things as, "It''s a tough place to go and they are a quality team that are hard to beat."  According to Mr Ford, go with those words ringing in your ears/head and you will prove yourself right and it will be a tough place to go and they will be hard to beat.  Having the positive mindset Russ talks about doesn''t guarantee success of course but possibly tilts things in our favour a bit more.

As I have said in previous posts, he is the natural Captain and leader of our team and should be.

Yup, could really have done without this. Much like last season, he''s playing very well and then gets injured.

But then his track record pretty much tells you he''s never going to play a full season, unfortunately.

[quote user="alartz"]Get the flags out and have a party. Thank Christ he''s out. Same thoughts as E4E[/quote]

One of our best players so far this season is out...   I think we can see where you''re coming from.

I''d expect us to go with BJ, Fer and Howson in midfield but against Man U BJ showed why Tettey has been preferred to him so far, I am also worried by the fact that BJ and Fer will be playing full games on Tuesday then Saturday.

Also really bad news if we had both Snoddy and Redmond out on the flanks.  We''d obviously go with Pilks on one flank but who on the other?  Murphy would really have to curb his attacking instincts if he plays.

I don''t think we''ll go with 2 up front especially after that worked out so badly at Spurs.  At the Etihad to have 2 front players who don''t cover back to midfield would be suicide.

alartz wrote the following post at 31/10/2013 3:09 PM:

Get the flags out and have a party.

Thank Christ he''s out.

You are a complete and utter twat, I''ve calmed that down a bit from my initial reaction to reading your post!

Jonson has been terrible this season and should not start Saturday, he can''t pass the ball, the basics of football, he will give it away to Manchester city and they will score mark my words!

Come back John.Just don''t bother passing or shooting.Bang it upfield, there''s a good lad.[:D]

CJF,

I agree totally re leader but not RB.  I recently looked up the stats for our defenders in terns of passing and going forward, because IMO I already know he is the better defensive RB and it made interesting reading, Russ is by far the best performing defender when it came to number of successful passes per game, number of accurate crosses per game and number of accurate long balls per game, beating all the other full backs (and CBs) hands down.

And as I have said many a time on here, Gordon Strachan thinks he''s quite useful too plus the other managers that enquired over the summer, I think he is one of those players who does a tremendous job whilst staying under the radar, on the pitch and off of it, as we saw today.

--- Ray: is by far the best performing defender when it came to number of successful passes per game, number of accurate crosses per game and number of accurate long balls per game, beating all the other full backs (and CBs) hands down.

You say that, but Russ Martin is one of our worst outfield performers this season according to whoscored.

As for our record, it is far better with Whittaker in the side.

CJF,

I don''t say it whoscored do!

Whitts overall score is boosted by scoring, a goal, a game in which he had the luxury of having Benno as winger and Russ alongside him, but

Avg Passes per game:  Whitts  33.4,  Cafu  52.9

Pass Success %.  Whitts  77.2,  Cafu  82.2

Accurate Crosses per game:  Whitts  0.2,  Cafu  0.6

Accurate Long Balls per game.  Whitts  1.8,  Cafu  3.1

Yes, we both know there are lies, damn lies, etc and there are also opinion and of course mine proves me right, well it does to me, as no doubt yours does to you.

Guess we don''t agree at the moment, but who knows what the future holds?

[quote user="Graham Paddons Beard"]Slightly off OP, but I haven''t seen anyone acknowledge that the tackle on Tettey was a shocker and went completely un punished . It all got lost in the aftermath.[/quote]

Of course you''re right. But you''re p1ssing into the wind with stuff like that on here. If it''s not something to moan about our own team it''s not worth discussing.

"It''s Character Forming" - "One of the most bizarre comments I''ve seen on this MB. Tettey is one of the best DMs to play for City in the last 20 years"

he works hard ill give him that butgenuine LOLhes really not that good. his price was about right, and you get what you pay for