Sign in to follow this  

O'Neil's just turned down Palace!

No, no, no and some more no.

Why would you want him here? Have you completley forgotten the end if his Villa reign and his whole time at Sunderland?

He''s never had a great PL record, and that went completley at Sunderland. He clearly just isn''t up to the PL demands. Wouldn''t be surprised at all if he''s rejected Palace because he just has no interest on managing in this league again.

Sorry GP but a Oneil has clearly stated that he has unfinished business in the premier league and a point to prove after Sunderland.

More worrying is his very good relationship, ( and that of his wife) he has with Delia, who is a great admirer.

Even more worrying should be his relationship with McNally, nurtured over several years at Celtic, where Mac was CEO during a very successful O''Neil management stint!

It could happen!

At Villa his win ratio was 42%, thats pretty decent for a non top 6 side.I thought he resigned due to a dispute with Lerner? Not sure he did much wrong at Villa, they finished 6th in his final season!

At sunderland although he started brilliantly in his first season it all went down hill in his second as we all know, but he still had a win ratio of 32% after that massive slump of 8 losses before being sacked.

I''m not advocating O''Neil, but i''m not sure why some are dead set against, Sunderland didn''t work out for him, but he is still a manager with a record of overachieving in the PL at Villa and thats hardly ancient history.

I''m with GP on this one, imo would be a disaster.  Yesterday''s man and would want a huge transfer pot (he always does)...........hopefully should Hughton go, that''s what might just stop it happening.

Yea thats my major reservation, he does like to splash the cash and throw his toys out of the pram if he can''t.

I''m not convinced he''s washed up though, as I say not advocating him but wouldn''t be angry if he ended up here (bit nervous as to which O''Neil we would get maybe!).

Ok so he did fairly well at Villa, I thought he''d not done well at the end.

But, he left because of a dispute with the chairman. And remind me again why he left us?

There are more reasons not to want O''Neill now that want him in my opinion. Don''t think we should be sacking a manager who on the whole in the league at least has the players playing well to replace him with someone who has already left the club in bad blood so to speak, done the same at another club and who''s last decent season was 09/10. A lot can happen in three seasons. But not much good for O''Neill.

Of course if he did come in I''d support him and hope for the best, but he''d not be someone I''d consider. But then again I''m not in charge of a football club...

No way! He has a record of signing players at their max worth and leaving clubs with squads worth a fraction of the cost to put it together.

he only did well at villa because they threw money they didn''t have at buying players, they probably should have got higher. After that he''s just gone from bad to worse.

Gap wrote:

There are more reasons not to want O''Neill now that want him in my opinion. Don''t think we should be sacking a manager who on the whole in the league at least has the players playing well to replace him with someone who has already left the club in bad blood so to speak.

Really don''t think you can quote that he left our club in bad blood - he left because the then Chairman had openly lied to him, and blocked a move fir Dean Windass - to which extent O''Neil called into question Chases club ambitions - and that was justified. There is no bad blood between O''Neil and the owners and senior board members at our club - read my first post above.

I could see it happening, and it may work out if it does but I would have to say I do have quite grave concerns.

At Villa O''Neil tended to go for more experienced players over youth. He did the same at Sunderland other than Johnson.

You look at the defenders he signed for Sunderland: Wes Brown, Cuellar and O''Shea. If I was a premiership strike force, any strike force I would be looking at that and rubbing my hands together. They might be a decent Championship defence but not prem. No pace, back end of their careers.

I''d also say that it appears that he struggled to motivate players. Sunderland had some good players in that side and yet they just couldn''t click, or work under O''Neil.

[quote user="Hoopers Winky Fer Goals"]At least we''d get 6 points next season when Lambert roles over for "the gaffer" lol :)[/quote]I don''t want him, but that would be so sweet it almost makes me change my mind. [;)]

O''Neil would work here!

Lamberts original ''go to'' man. A nice man (as nice as Hughton) but more tactically aware. It will almost be impossible to have as poorer stats that Hughton, he''s the sort of manager who this club is crying out for.

I don''t care what anyone says about Sunderland, yes he got fired. But Di Canio apparently ''saved their season'' after getting 2 wins in 8 games which Martin was more than capable of anyway. Sunderland are still struggling, so I think it''s more to do with the players there and not the manager.

I would have no problem with Martin O''Neil coming back as Manager one day, no problem at all, and I really cant understand why some would have a problem. He certainly isnt passed it and his career has been far from a failure, far from it. BUT, my opinion is, that he is actually no better than Chris Hughton, crazy as that will sound to many on here, you see I rate them both. I actually wasnt keen at all when CH was appointed, but actually believe he has done a very decent job following PL, even considering this difficult run we are on right now, and I have gained a lot of respect for him and have confidence he will get it right. This league is unforgiving, particularly for a club like ours and any Manager would find it a challenge to sustain success or shall we say "relative success" at our club without having funds beyond what we could spend, sure we splashed some cash this summer, but the squad still remains challenged compared to many other clubs. So, on this one I am with Wiz despite being poles apart over Hughton, O''Neil would fit our club well should anything happen.   

If they get rid of Hughton then it has to be for someone better.I see Martin O''neill very much as a sideways step, at best.

He wasn''t that anti-youth when he was here before.

He gave Danny Mills his debut, he also picked Akinbiyi, Eadie and Johnson regularly. Eadie loves him.

His three signings were Matthew Rush,bringing Fleckie back and Keith Scott. Rush was 24 when he signed from West Ham, 48 apps/5 goals, R of Ireland U-21, didn''t seem a bad bet-we''ll never know if he''d have been good for us or not because of his injury but, at the time, it didn''t seem an ''iffy'' signing. Fleckie coming back was a no brainer, did anyone object to that I wonder? Scott probably came because he couldn''t get Windass-swapped for Sheron.

He was a 4-4-2 man-two wingers, two forwards-two from Fleckie, Ward, Akinbiyi and, at the beginning, Mike Sheron. Adams and Eadie started in a lot of league games  for us when he was in charge. His league record for us was- P21 W9 D7 L5 GF32 GA23 PTS34  -we were in 3rd place after his last game, a 2-2 draw at home to Grimsby.

I thought the reason he has stayed out of the game and why he turned down Palace is because of the long term care and committment he is giving to his wife who has been ill. I doubt he needs to go back into football anyway-he''s 61, does he want the aggro now?

I just don''t think he has the hunger to do well in the Prem any more. 

I heard a long interview with him on R5 after he was sacked by Sunderland and it didn''t impress me, they had a good squad, arguably better than ours, and in his second season he had them solidly in the relegation zone for much of the season, looking like they were definitely going down at the start of the final run-in.  So given that we''re only 18th on goal difference at the moment near the end of a tough run of fixtures, I don''t understand why he''d be a manager we''d turn to now ?

His most successful periods have been with John Robertson and Steve Walford by his side. I believe both have retired now.

For me that would be a great worry - suicide if he was appointed and chose Calderwood and Trollope :-(

I''m not sure he has the appetite anymore, I believe his home life has quite properly been his priority for some time.

Never been convinced by Martin O''Neill, to me he''s one of those managers with a so-so record, but who''s got lots of people to believe his own bluster and hype, and more worryingly, started to believe it himself. Others in this vein were Kenny Dalglish, Graham Taylor,Lawrie Mc Menemy and Tommy Docherty.

If this story is true, a more pertinent issue as regards NCFC is that I suspect managers are already seeing C Pal as a hopeless case, so the top ones will not touch them with a bargepole. That''s why , very soon if things don''t improve soon, the Carrow Rd heirachy must acts, as there is a danger that we could be regarded in the same manner.

He would be my choice if hughton got sacked. Did an amazing job at villa. At Sunderland I thought he was unfairly treated by the fans and the board and if they had stuck with him they would have survived no problem!

If CH were to go, and personally I think he will be given until the end of November, then MO would not be the man for me. Completely the wrong attitude in my opinion - Zola would be my choice