Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Dean Ashton article

I watched him play in a game last summer, as part of a "masters" team (watching Eadie, Roberts and Hux warming up together being a highlight!) and it was genuinely one of the saddest things I have ever seen, he so desperately wanted to play, but it was painful to watch.[:(]

Best Player we ever had and the best English Striker of a generation...

it was all Cruelly taken away from him..

what might have been, for club AND country??

Indeed. He seems a pretty together guy and he had ideas and plans after retirement but i''m not surprised he has found it harder than he imagined because his story is such an desperately sad and unfortunate one. It makes me well up every time i read it - i really hope people like WLY, Leon McK, Eadie and Iwan are in touch with him and helping him along. He ought at least to have good support around him in Norfolk.

I was disappointed but never resented his departure and really thought he could be a long term England striker who had much much further to go in his development. How Woy could have done with him now!

Morty, i don''t get your post sorry! You watched him play... he so desperately wanted to play...  ?  Did he play or didn''t he?  Or you mean he couldn''t play properly because of his ankle?

My wife and I were in Middleton''s Restaurant earlier in the week when Dean and his family came in for lunch.

Very sad that his career ended early. When fit, he was in every England squad that Capello selected.

Dean had everything bar pace. I really thought he was the next Alan Shearer. Im sure thats what has made it so hard for him. Not only has he had his career taken away from him, but he really could have reached the top. That sort of thing can only eat away at you. So sad for him

[quote user="a1canary"]

Indeed. He seems a pretty together guy and he had ideas and plans after retirement but i''m not surprised he has found it harder than he imagined because his story is such an desperately sad and unfortunate one. It makes me well up every time i read it - i really hope people like WLY, Leon McK, Eadie and Iwan are in touch with him and helping him along. He ought at least to have good support around him in Norfolk.

I was disappointed but never resented his departure and really thought he could be a long term England striker who had much much further to go in his development. How Woy could have done with him now!

Morty, i don''t get your post sorry! You watched him play... he so desperately wanted to play...  ?  Did he play or didn''t he?  Or you mean he couldn''t play properly because of his ankle?

[/quote]I just checked on some photos I took, and it was actually April 2011 when I saw him play, at Lowestoft town in a Norwich City legends team.He played, but not sure if he has had his ankle fused, he couldn''t even run properly. Was painful to watch, as he''s still a young man who could still be playing to a good standard.

It''s unfortunate he had the injury but look on the bright side. He''s got money, he has family, he''s got his act together, he''s got hope and opportunity. He recognizes this, comparing his good run to his pals that never got past Crewe.

I find the story inspiring, not tearful. Good for you, Dean Ashton, and shame on posters who accused him of abandoning the sinking HMS Norwich City F C when there was no reason for him to stay.