Sign in to follow this  
dpit

I don't like this

Found myself thinking this morning that, given recent tonkings away from home to ''top sides'', I would be happy with a 2-1 defeat this weekend. I quickly shook my head and dispelled such nonsense from my mind but the very fact such thoughts entered my head at all is concerning to me. I am now appear to be in ''expect the worst and when it''s not as bad as that, be content'' mode. Not a good place. Please City, slap me around the face with your performance this weekend.

I would never take defeat as an option. (apart from 2 legged ties when we''re winning etc).

0 points is 0 points whatever, be it 9-0 or 4-3

if we lost 10 games 9-0 and then drew the 11th 0-0, we''d be better off than if we lost 11 games 4-3.

This is the lower half of the premiership, it''s ugly, it''s completely results based and every team down here will lose more than they win.

Remember how happy we were beating Leeds in League 1 when the prize was a place in the championship?! We are now trying to avoid that prize along with about 13 other teams with realistic chances of relegation.

When you think we''re actually 18th out of 92 teams, it''s not as bad.

Despite this mentality, a defeat is never directly a good thing.

Well it struck me yesterday when a poster asked how often Man U fail to win after taking the lead, and a quick check on wiki revealed only 2 times in the past 3 seasons in the league.

Last season Man C rarely dropped points at home and we were the only team except Man U to beat them there.

So I''ll be travelling tomorrow with realistic expectations - we will probably lose.  But no way will I be happy with a defeat, I''ll be desperately hoping for another win, I''m just not deluded.

Following City away is rarely easy, the bad results make the wins all the sweeter.  The win at Man C back in May was just out of this world.  Is it really almost 6 months ?

For me I don''t want to lose but I am preapared for it. To be honest, I think it''s just the reality of the situation that we are in that top six teams away from home are going to tonk us. For me I fully expect no points tomorrow. I would be happy with a strong attacking game plan, with sensible tactics and astute substututions that shows Hughton has actually got the ability to manage. Citeh are a top top team and the way we have been playing recently, we are simply not going to win. If we come away with a draw it will be a massive positve result for us.

It''s the next 3 games after Saturday that I beleive will make or break it for Hughton. Nothing less than 7 points from those will convince me that he should stay.   

We then play Liverpool who always beat us so I am not expecting a result there either. After that we have four games in December that I believe will decide if we stay in the premiership or are relegated. We play WestBrom, Swansea, S''land and Fulham where if we get at least 8 points should mean we are going to survive.

[quote user="Brightside"]

For me I don''t want to lose but I am preapared for it. To be honest, I think it''s just the reality of the situation that we are in that top six teams away from home are going to tonk us. For me I fully expect no points tomorrow. I would be happy with a strong attacking game plan, with sensible tactics and astute substututions that shows Hughton has actually got the ability to manage. Citeh are a top top team and the way we have been playing recently, we are simply not going to win. If we come away with a draw it will be a massive positve result for us.

[/quote]

You feel like I do Brightside and whilst not wanting Lambert back I must say that even playing a top side under him you always felt that there was a possibility of pulling a rabbit out of the hat but under Hughton once you fall behind you might as well jump in your car and drive home especially at away games.

Frankly I have already written tomorrow off, given the injuries we have picked up this week.I would love to be proved wrong, but really can''t see a win, a point would be an amazing result.We need to get tomorrow out of the way and concentrate on two winnable home games coming up.

[quote user="Alby "]Hughton writes off most of our away games by the looks of it[/quote]Yup, of course he does[Y]

This may come as a massive surprise to many posters on here but apart from us, there are another 18 teams in the Premiership who would be extremely happy to get a point away at Manchester City.

And it appears that the result is the only thing that matters because the recent performances against Arsenal (currently 1st) and Chelsea (currently 2nd) were ones that could, and perhaps should, have given us some hope and pride in our displays.

I do write off our away games, so when we do get a result away from home makes me feel warm inside :-)

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I take it Lambert had a better record against the top sides than Hughton has then?

[/quote]

Without wishing to turn this into a Nuttython no Lambert maybe did not have a better record as I haven''t checked the stats but going to away games under Lambert you felt he may just get the odd result or two by his approach and set up however I for one don''t feel the same about Hughton.

Really? Is that relevant then[:^)]

TBH I''m not up for a debate with you until you recognise that I posted my team on the Man U thread and it was you who was behaving like a menopausal politician by neither acknowledging it or replying.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

I take it Lambert had a better record against the top sides than Hughton has then?

[/quote]

Without wishing to turn this into a Nuttython no Lambert maybe did not have a better record as I haven''t checked the stats but going to away games under Lambert you felt he may just get the odd result or two by his approach and set up however I for one don''t feel the same about Hughton.

[/quote]Also not wanting to get into stats (I can''t be bothered to check) I don''t think theres much difference between Lamberts and Hughtons away records.I''m happy to be proved wrong, but we have not been great away from home under either manager.

Games like tomorrow, Chelsea, Man U and Arsenal are not about the result or the scoreline to me but I do want to see performance... Chelsea and Arsenal matches I was fine with but Man U was a return to the bad old days of a few weeks ago. Hopefully we will play like we believe we have the right to be on the same pitch as Man C tomorrow and if that is the case and we get a few good shots away and make a chance or 3 I don''t mind losing 4-1... as long as we make them play their best to get it.We are not as good as Man City, we know that, but if they don''t have to play well to get the result then I have a problem.

Thanks Nige. I was interested at one point, but the moment has gone.

It was relevant as you compared Hughton and lambert. The latter has beat big boys this yr.

Lambert by your own admission left Hughton with a squad that would have got relegated, so not surprised his record maybe was as good.

But as Tilly said. We went to games knowing we had a chance. The games gave us a lot of pride knowing we had tried. Similar to

How many of the Hughton fans felt after the arsenal game.

Looks like this has been dragged off topic again lol

I''m not having this Danny. It was you who took the other thread off topic and came in with the insults. And then again here suggesting that I said we''d have got relegated with Lambert''s players. All I''ve ever said is that if we don''t improve the squad at the same rate as the clubs around us we would be relegated. Why do you have a problem with that? As for Tuesday''s thread.. I''m going to give you a chance to retract the accusations on that thread. Then it''s up to you....

the thing is, this is what hughton has done to the club, theres not many people that are thinking ''we could possibly grab some points here'' anymore because no one has any real faith in the way he sets up the team, his mentality has always been ''they have some very good players/they are a very good team'' etc as opposed to the lambert approach of ''we''ll give it a reeet good go'' and it shows on the pitchi feel sorry for the players, all that confidence and underdog spirit seems to have vanished and been replaced with a sit back and hold on approach for the majority of the gamesgood coach terrible manager who got lucky with results at the end of last season with a league position that flattered his ability

[quote user="Yellow Wall"]This may come as a massive surprise to many posters on here but apart from us, there are another 18 teams in the Premiership who would be extremely happy to get a point away at Manchester City. And it appears that the result is the only thing that matters because the recent performances against Arsenal (currently 1st) and Chelsea (currently 2nd) were ones that could, and perhaps should, have given us some hope and pride in our displays.[/quote]

Yes I find it painful when people are knocking our recent performances.  We played well against Arsenal and Chelsea IMO - the odds are against you when you look at the players they have, but we could easily have come away with something from either of those games.

Tuesday for me some of the squad players didn''t perform, Elmander, Wes and BJ being the main ones.  Despite that, if the ref had been even handed we could well have made a game of it.  We certainly didn''t look overawed against Man U on Tuesday.

Tomorrow is exactly the same as the trip to Arsenal.  A neutral would expect us to lose by 2-3 goals.  If we give it a go like our recent games against the top teams, then we have a chance, but that''s all - a chance.

[quote user="dpit"]Found myself thinking this morning that, given recent

tonkings away from home to ''top sides'', I would be happy with a 2-1 defeat this

weekend. I quickly shook my head and dispelled such nonsense from my mind but

the very fact such thoughts entered my head at all is concerning to me. I am now

appear to be in ''expect the worst and when it''s not as bad as that, be content''

mode. Not a good place. Please City, slap me around the face with your

performance this weekend.[/quote]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]I think villa have beat arsenal and man

city this year Nige[/quote]

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Please stay on topic nige[/quote]

Like the other night you take the thread off topic yourself. Still, it

amuses me[Y][:D]

[quote user="can u sit down please"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

The first dig in a good post by the OP[/quote]

Dig? My post was in reply to Tilly who subsequently responded to me. There was nothing off topic about that honest exchange of views. It was you with the dig old boy. And a completely off topic one at that. Just like the other night.

Lambert''s away record in the PL for us is significantly better than Hughton''s. 12/13 under Hughon 2 away wins, 11/12 under Lambert 5 away wins - more than twice as many.

Given Hughton''s overall record for us of 3 away wins in 23 PL games, it is sadly understandable why some fans, while not wanting a defeat, may expect one, especially against one of the top 6.[:(]