Sign in to follow this  
The Great Mass Debater

Becchio. Why?

Reading Steve Morison''s article (linked below), I was left wondering again why Hughton signed Becchio. If Morison was unhappy or out of favour, he doesnt seem to refer to it, or know exactly why he was out of favour with Hughton. The Becchio signing has often been felt to have been a means to an end to get Morison out, Becchios lack of opportunities seeming to confirm this. Having read this article, and putting it into context with what Neil Warnock had to say in his recent articles, his signing and Morison''s bombing out seems all the more bizarre. Hughton clearly doesnt see Becchio as a viable first team option. Seems strange to need him to be a squad filler. Anyone got any wild theories on the Becchio signing? Just seems a bit bizarre to me

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2446772/The-Footballers-Football-Column--Steve-Morison-Paul-Lambert-brilliant-manager-play-for.html

I feel for becchio, average players getting picked over him, Kei Kamara and Elmander and he hasnt even had a chance. Maybe championship is his level but a chance for him.to.prove otherwise would be fair. What does elmander offer, how much is he on a week, what was his loan fee because no doubt it wasnt free.

Cant Answer that GMD, there''s plenty of speculation on this site as to why becchio doesnt play, he was prolific at leeds, surely he could do as much as Wes. He has good feet and a more physical presence. CH must just not fancy him. I''d like to see him given game time just behind RvW or Hoops.....or both, now that would be something to talk about.

I''ve stopped concerning myself with CH''s treatment of his strikers, from tactical ostracisation to the real thing, it puzzles me over-much.

I do feel sorry for Becchio. If Hughton has no intention in playing him - which he clearly doesn''t, then why didn''t they sell him pre season?

It''s a bit like being dumped by your girlfriend - she doesn''t want you - but she doesn''t want anyone else to have you either!

Hughton is like Roeder, only nice.

Celtic had a striker we were linked with - Derek riordan - who couldn''t get a game

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QYfT4bD3PSQ&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DQYfT4bD3PSQ

Why did CH bring him in? Presumably because of his goal scoring record, he must have rated him, the manager seems to have been very quick to decide that he got this one wrong.

Don''t buy the theory that we were so desperate to get rid of Morro that we would have taken anyone as part of a deal.

All managers make mistakes and buy players that then don''t get played, but in this case with our poor goal scoring record and Becchio''s very good one it does seem weird.

Said it before, managers don''t leave in-form players sat on the bench / rotting in the reserves.Theres probably not as much mystery here as people seem to think there is, more like the old Fox syndrome, if a player isn''t getting a game, the manager is wrong about him and he is clearly the answer to all our problems.

It suited us - Morison was never a prolific scorer while with us, and by last Christmas was clearly out of sorts. (It will be interesting to see how he gets on with Millwall again. Leeds certainly were glad to get rid of him.)

In addition Becchio was having a good season with Leeds, and Becchio saw the chance of playing in the Premiership.

It suited him (Morison) - apart from the fact that CH was having to play with just one striker - partly personal conviction and partly the need to provide more in defence, and with Holt clearly the preferred striker Morison was not going to get many games, and Leeds minus Becchio could offer more.

There was something for both clubs, with the cash adjustment, and for both players. So it happened.

Well it''s certainly Morison''s side of the story but truth is he''d lost form under Lambert and from New Year in that season he was ineffective. Under CH he never did anything to give the manager a reason to bring him back.

The Becchio situation for me is so straightforward. He''s our fourth choice striker behind 3 players all clearly better on paper. So his first team playing time is going to be very limited. But with RVW injured and Elmander playin poorly, he might get a chance as sub.

"It suited us - Morison was never a prolific scorer while with us, and by last Christmas was clearly out of sorts. (It will be interesting to see how he gets on with Millwall again. Leeds certainly were glad to get rid of him.)

In addition Becchio was having a good season with Leeds, and Becchio saw the chance of playing in the Premiership.

It suited him (Morison) - apart from the fact that CH was having to play with just one striker - partly personal conviction and partly the need to provide more in defence, and with Holt clearly the preferred striker Morison was not going to get many games, and Leeds minus Becchio could offer more.

There was something for both clubs, with the cash adjustment, and for both players. So it happened."

This is the oft held theory, one I subscribed to after reading Neil Warnocks comments on the transfer, but then after reading Morison''s comments, it just doesnt seem to fit.

I wonder if he just thought he might be a good fit considering he''d played with a number of our squad before.

When we were debating the Fox situation previously, I stated that I felt Fox was now practically unusable as the rot had set in. I feel the same must be the same with Becchio. I mean, when did the guy last play a decent game of competitive football. He doesnt play for the U21s as far as Im aware and he''s not even getting a minute here and there. I just cant see a situation were Hughton would consider him usable. Consider we have an injury crisis in the striking department (and arguably we have). Surely Hughton would still have his doubts thinking ''but he hasnt played for so long'' and maybe consider playing someone like Snodgrass up front like he did for Scotland.

I just cant see how he is ever going to get a run out, and if thats the case what is the point in having him in the squad. Let him go on loan or move and let that 4th striker place come from someone like Morris, who plays regularly.

Becchio cant be happy with the situation, and having someone knocking around disgruntled cant be good for the squad morale