Sign in to follow this  
Tetteys Jig

My team for tomorrow

After a week of thinking, (including the ill fated diamond suggestion) I have decided:

Ruddy in between the sticks as normal.

Whittaker at right back

Bennett and Bassong at the back, (i don''t trust Turner versus Aguero)

Garrido at left back (knows the ground, the club and can understand Navas''s shouting)

Pilkington on the right

Fer and Howson in the middle running round like headless chickens

Olsson on the left (he''s basically a left winger)

Becchio up front with Hooper (stated we need some physicality in another thread and Elmander has looked poor so far. Those two would be interesting to see together)

Apparently we''ve brought him in to solve our goalscoring problems, 20 goals in half a season including goals versus Chelsea and Hull.

Looks a hard worker and good in the air, combines well with a poacher type player.

[quote user="Jimmy Smith"] Bennett and Bassong at the back, (i don''t trust Turner versus Aguero)  [/quote]

Bennett has played against Man City twice and we''ve let in 9 goals. Including a couple he absolutely gifted to them, he even let Tevez out jump him for a headed goal.

So I don''t really know how he can be any more trusted than Turner, who is a better defender.

Ruddy

Turner

Bassong

Bennett

Whittaker

Fer

Johnson

Howson

Olsson

Hoolahan

Hooper

That''s what I''d do, we''re going to get hammered anyway, get Whitts and Olsson playing as wing backs, Johnno holding, Howson and Fer supporting Wes and Hooper. All our other wingers are injured so Pilky might as well have the weekend off too....

[quote user="River end canary"]I think this is a good shout something needs to change why not this as a different approach[/quote]

Sorry, I don''t get this. Why, after our best league performance of the season does something have to change? We appear to have just found our best formation to date this season, but you want to change it. I''d say, lads, we''re setting up exactly the same as against Cardiff, go out there and give Man city the same treatment. Ie, pressing them, 2 men on 1 going for every challenge. Obviously, Johnson in for injured Tettey, but I''d leave it at that.

PS, I don''t want to see Garrido in a city shirt so long as Martin Ollsson can play!

I''d keep it the same as Cardiff bar injuries.  So BJ for Tettey. 

Tricky one is how to replace Snoddy given Redmond is also out.  I think the best option is to move Pilks over to the right, push Olsson forward on the left and bring in Garrido at LB.

Murphy has got to be there as sub.

Ruddy

Turner, Martin, Bassong as center backs

Whittaker and Olsson as wing backs

Fer Howson and Johnson

Becchio and Hooper up front.

------------------Ruddy

Whittaker Martin Turner Bassong Olsson

--------------Johnson Fer

------------Howson Pilkington

----------------Hooper

Pilkington played very centrally last week, Id keep him there. Hoolahan on if Howson/Pilkington looking naff. Hooper for his workrate, Pilks and Howson for long range shooting. Otherwise pack the middle. Not too many options considering the injuries

I cant understand why anyone would want to make any changes from the team that has played recently (in the Premier league) unless they are forced due to injury. In particular against this Man City side, I would not recommend taking a midfield player out and replacing with a second front man, that''s suicide and asking fo another tonking. Ironically I think tomorrow is a day when we should actually be more offensive than we have been recently and keep them at bay for as long as possible, ride our luck a bit and who knows we may come away with a point......unlikely but possible.

Perhaps at a push room could be found for Martin & Whittaker if it is felt we dont have the pace across the back four, but whilst he has looked promising I would risk Bennett in this instance, play as much experience as we can muster.   

[quote user="River end canary"]I think this is a good shout something needs to change why not this as a different approach[/quote]

Because if it doesn''t work, then all the hughton outers will be rubbing their hands in excitement.

And if it does work, it will be luck, and not down to Hughton''s decision to adopt (albeit forced with injuries, so not really his choce) a different approach.

I will be cheering whatever formation Hughton decides on (but hoping not to see Johnson on the pitch)

BRING ON THE MURPHY

GK. Ruddy

DL. Olsson

DC. Bassong

DC. Martin

DR. Whittaker

DM. Bradders

CM. Howson

CM. Fer

AMR. Pilks

AML. Murphy

ST. Hooper

Subs; Bunn, Bennett, Turner, Mcgeehan, Murphy, Hoolahan, Becchio

No point even putting Elmander or Garrido on the bench as they just aren''t up to the required standard. Would rather see some of the future getting a place.

4-4-1-1

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Garrido

Pilks Fer Johnson Olsson

Howson

Hooper

Bench: Bunn, Whitts, Bennett, Murphy, Wes, Becchio and Elmander

Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Olson, Fer, Whittaker, Hoolahan, Murphy, Bechio, HooperSubs - Johnson, Pilkington, Bunn, Elmander, Turner + anyone else who is warm & breathing.

Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Olson, Fer, Whittaker, Hoolahan, Murphy, Bechio, HooperWhoops, missed Howson so that should read -Ruddy, Martin, Bennett, Bassong, Olson, Fer, Whittaker, Howson, Murphy, Bechio, Hooper with Hoolahan on the bench - I assume he''s warm & breathing but after Tuesday, I''m not sure.

Its a game to defend well with a solid shape so a more conservative approach than against cardiff or we will lose by 4+ - Aguerro Negredo and Dzecko can hurt us.

So I would start 4-2-3-1 as I dont think BJ can do the deep 1 in a 4-1-4-1

Ruddy

Martin Bassong Turner Garrido

Fer BJ

Whittaker Howson Pilkington

Hooper

There is a real risk that Hooper wont see the ball as the middle three could be pulled deep, but its our best chance of getting something from the game given our injuries.

Subs? Looking thinner after injuries - we certainly need that central midfield triangle to stay fit and suspension free

Bunn, Bennett, Olsson, Murphy, Hoolahan, Elmander Becchio

I just don''t get this attitude about turner, the guy is easily our best and most solid centre back...bassong too many times this season has been far too complacent.

This would be my team:

Ruddy

Garrido, turner, Bennett, martin

Olsson, johnson, fer, pilkington

Howson

Hooper

Subs: Bunn, bassong, whittaker hoolahan, Murphy, becchio, elmander

I also think the people slating elmander and garrido need to get real - this is our squad and they need our utmost support, what they don''t need is supporters throwing their toys out of their prams and having little hissy fits because they don''t believe a Swedish International isn''t good enough

Obviously ive had a stinker with the wings just swap them over ....

Ruddy won''t save anything either standing by the corner flag

Given the opposition, our position and the injuries I think Hughton will make use of his attacking fullbacks, namely Olsson and Whittaker, on the flanks. Johnson has to come in for Tetty in order

to keep the basic setup from before.I don''t think the manager will experiment with a new shape, just try and add a bit of extra defensive nous to our midfield with Pilkington making way for Olsson, and Garrido taking the latter''s place at left back. Depending on the situation, at least one of the midfielders should be careful to not advance too far forward in case of a being hit on the counter, and also to give Johnson an outlet for a simple pass if needed.I really hope Becchio gets a go today, I remember he linked up pretty well with Howson against West Brom last season. If we play one up top then either Hooper or RVW would normally start, so perhaps given the goal drought and RVW''s likely absence we could at least try subbing Hooper with someone other than Elmander (who has been generally poor).The bench really picks itself today, as whoever is not selected as an

outfielder ends up as a sub.                  Ruddy

Martin  Turner  Bassong  Garrido

JohnsonWhittaker  Fer  Howson   

Olsson

Hooper

Subs: Bunn, Bennett, Pilkington, Murphy, Becchio, Elmander, Hoolahan

I would have exactly the same as Dex''s prediction....

4-4-1-1

Ruddy

Martin Turner Bassong Garrido

Pilks Fer Johnson Olsson

Howson

Hooper

Bench: Bunn, Whitts, Bennett, Murphy, Wes, Becchio and Elmander .

Our squad is stretched and it''s another game where anything we get is a bonus.

It is important to remember that we are playing away at Man City, so don''t expect Murphy to rip them to shreds - let alone start!

Ironically, this is a game where I hope (unless we are being completely dominated) that Hughton doesn''t make a change until the 70th minute... That is a weak bench and is unlikely to cause City too much unrest.