Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

Captain, My A*se!

Regardless of what is going on off the pitch, the players have a job that they are paid to do when they are on the pitch. While there is plenty of blame to go around, what I saw out of Bassong today was a joke. His job is to show leadership in the face of adversity. What was demonstrated was the exact opposite of that.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]Should have been Russell Martin. Bassong has been disastrous as captain.[/quote]Both were poor today.

This has been seen for quite a few games now.

Bassong also have a knack of not being stuck in, he backs off too much. Also, he clearly does not trust his pace (know he has a lack of it), espescially after his injury.

He destroys the offside line far too often, and takes out far too much space for him self, to cover for lack of pace.

Clearly a confidence thing.

The problem is that RM is not a guarantee to start every game.

When Grant left we lost the team spirit.

I thought Bassong would be the right man.  How wrong I have been!

He''s never been a leader. Look at the way he pushed Pilkington away last season because he wanted to do his little goal dance. Today he throws in the towel. Strip him of his captaincy.

On his day he can be a fantastic player. He should never have been made captain though. Apart from the fact that he is often injured, he is severely lacking in form this season. Whether or not that is a result of the burden of captaincy affecting his game we can''t really tell. By making him Captain however, Hughton has made it almost impossible to drop him or relieve him of the captaincy with admitting that he has made a huge error. I also believe our stand out defender in each of his last few performances has been young Ryan Bennett, who consequently can''t get a look in. If Hughton stays, he has a massive decision to make.