Sign in to follow this  
FCC

Becchio v West Ham Please

Due a chance, links well with Howson and Snoddy, knows how to score.

RvW and Hooper over-rated and used to being spoon fed against inferior teams - not playing for one. A few seasons playing Kilmarnock has killed Hoopers work ethic and he is a good example of why not to move North of the Border.

We lack pace, and are to poor technically to keep possession - no idea how Hughton expects us to play - but feeding of nothing I think we go with Becchio.

Wouldn''t argue with this but I''d have a simpler message - can''t we will please, just for once, put TWO strikers on the pitch!

[quote user="a1canary"]

Wouldn''t argue with this but I''d have a simpler message - can''t we will please, just for once, put TWO strikers on the pitch!

[/quote]

One up front is not a negative formation. Most clubs, including Europe''s best play one through the middle.

The issue is we''re not supporting RVW, Hooper, Elmander, Holt, Morison, Kamara or whoever is up front. Becchio won''t stand any more of a chance than any of the others unless we get him some support.

Its pointless worrying about strikers when you can''t keep a clean sheet. We are not going to out score most teams in this league but we ought to be able to shut some of them out.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="a1canary"]

[/quote]

One up front is not a negative formation. Most clubs, including Europe''s best play one through the middle.

The issue is we''re not supporting RVW, Hooper, Elmander, Holt, Morison, Kamara or whoever is up front. Becchio won''t stand any more of a chance than any of the others unless we get him some support.

[/quote] man u , liverpool play 2 up front . becchio can hold the ball up + with hooper feeding off him & will give mid field time to get up & help them otbc

[quote user="ricardo"]Its pointless worrying about strikers when you can''t keep a clean sheet. We are not going to out score most teams in this league but we ought to be able to shut some of them out.
[/quote]

Are you Hughton in disguise, I think that''s his philsophy

There always seems to be somebody that''s left out of the side because they''re not good enough that someone then decides is the answer to our problems. Strange phenomenon. Anyway, no thanks to Becchio starting in a must win game. What we really need to do is work on supplying the strikers that are playing.

This is simply clutching at straws. Norwich regularly fail to get the ball to the striker. Whoever plays is going to struggle under Hughton''s tactics.What is strange is that Becchio can''t even get ten minutes on the pitch as a substitute.

31 chances against Cardiff and we fail to score. All this talk of not supplying the strikers is a cop out. We need someone who can get into position and get a decent shot in. Of course Becchio should be given a chance but for some reason Hughton just doesn''t want to give it.

We didn''t have 31 chances against Cardiff though did we.

We had 31 attempts at goal of which 21 of them were either blocked or ended up in Row Z.

Of those remaining 10 I think I recall seeing that something like 6 or 7 were from distance.

31 chances there were not.

[quote user="city4eva"]

[quote user="ricardo"]Its pointless worrying about strikers when you can''t keep a clean sheet. We are not going to out score most teams in this league but we ought to be able to shut some of them out.[/quote]

Are you Hughton in disguise, I think that''s his philsophy

[/quote]There''s nothing more negative than going behind before you''ve hardly started. Good teams are based round a good defence. You can play 5 up front and it will make no difference if you can''t keep your own goal intact.

[quote user="Kangaroo Court"]31 chances against Cardiff and we fail to score. All this talk of not supplying the strikers is a cop out. We need someone who can get into position and get a decent shot in. Of course Becchio should be given a chance but for some reason Hughton just doesn''t want to give it.[/quote]We didn''t create 31 chances,we had 31 attempts on goal. Not the same thing!Most of those attempts on goal were from outside the area and/or wide of the target.Very few were from the strikers,in fact did I read that our strikers have only had 6 shots on target ALL SEASON!!!That is a truly lamentable statistic if true,and suggests a fundamental/monumental failure in our approach play![:@]

If CH is running the show on Sat, and strikerless Wet Spam are as toothless as they were against Villa yesterday, then I think there''s a real chance that the game could be the first in PL history without a meaningful shot on target from EITHER team !

A single striker gets fewer chances to score than two. Simple as. Holt showed that in his first and then second season. And reading Holt and Morison''s views on being a striker in a Hughton side told me that it''s just not the way to go for our current squad nor is it productive for the team. It frustrates and affects the confidence of the strikers. How much more proof do you need than our investment in strikers this summer and the return we''ve got out of them? It''s true what has been said on here before - Hughton makes strikers impotent!

1 up is a valid tactic and certainly works if your one striker is Aguero and on occasion it has worked for us but the total refusal to even consider two up in any circumstances or for any game is for me what has turned me from an inner to an outer.

[quote user="a1canary"]A single striker gets fewer chances to score than two. Simple as. Holt showed that in his first and then second season. And reading Holt and Morison''s views on being a striker in a Hughton side told me that it''s just not the way to go for our current squad nor is it productive for the team. It frustrates and affects the confidence of the strikers. How much more proof do you need than our investment in strikers this summer and the return we''ve got out of them? It''s true what has been said on here before - Hughton makes strikers impotent!

1 up is a valid tactic and certainly works if your one striker is Aguero and on occasion it has worked for us but the total refusal to even consider two up in any circumstances or for any game is for me what has turned me from an inner to an outer.[/quote]

This!!! The most insightful post in 2013 ....for me A1 sums up Hughton. He also believes in the 1 striker philosophy. Having 2 or god forbid like Chelsea / Liverpool do at times, have 4 INTERCHANGEABLE attackers gives you intent. It means you believe in your team, like you want to win. Look at Southampton now. They fancy every game. The secret? They have a leader/manager who believes. Walker, Stringer, Lambert et al all understood. Well said A1 Canary.

I''ve always thought that the lower teams in this league probably can''t get away with playing 2 up front anymore, but maybe I''m wrong.

Maybe playing two up front can actually benefit us defensively and offensively. We would certainly need to turn to a more pressing tactic but i specifically remember our 4-2 win against Newcastle at home where Holt and Morison hassled the defenders continuously, forcing them into playing more long balls than they''d want to, resulting in it being easier for our defenders. And we had some pretty shocking defenders.

I''m not saying you can always play 2 up front but I''m beginning to think our lack of creativity along with the fact we''re hardly keeping clean sheet after clean sheet - maybe there''s nothing to lose now?

When did this 1 player up front first hit our shores?

Why does Houghton persist in playing this formation? It clearly isn''t working for us.

We have a good squad that needs a leader not a sheep following others.

What''s good for one is not necessarily good for someone else. Give Becchio a chance. He deserves it as much as Hooper or The Wolf. Why did they buy him in the first place if not to give him a chance.

The longer he sits on the bench.....how insulting for him.

Houghton play 2 up front....what have you got to loose?

Thanks Sony!

Precisely hog - this is where Hughton''s credibility begins to fall apart. Because he''s all about the defending and we''ve just shipped 15 goals in 4 games.

And the crying shame of it is he has made us a more solid team in some ways, certainly against our peers in the league. But he is too fixed in his ways to realise that playing his preferred way against the top 6 means matching them up and that''s always going to be a hideous mismatch. We''ve got Howson, theyve got Ozil or Silva. We''ve got RvW, they''ve got Aguero or Van Persie. Against the big boys you have got to make them play differently and give them something to think about. Sometimes you''ll get a bloody nose trying that but it has got to be better than going up there pretending you can play them at their own game and getting hit for seven! Lambert was always good at making the teams play us at our game even if only for a portion of the game, and that at least gives you a chance to hurt them.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I often have a lot of sympathy for ''player x'' should be given a chance malarky. Mainly because we do not use the squad and the vast majority of squad has done a job for us in the last couple of years.

However, Becchio to start. As a sub I agree, should have been given more opportunities, but to start is surely just a punt in the dark.

I''d love to see snodgrass play the number 10 role like for scotland with even Becchio up top. Then bring in Redmond on the right.

I like what you are saying Foghorn and also as usual Ricardo is talking sense. Aside of the shambles yesterday and to some degree mid week against Manure, I actually thought things were coming together over recent weeks offensively (and think many others did too?) and that it would only be a matter of time before we did start to notch regularly. Certainly RVW was improving and to be realistic Hooper hasnt been helped by the games he has actually started in being against some of the best defenders in the world, not saying he couldnt have done better though. In a sea of disappointments yesterday I actually thought Elmander showed signs (albeit limited signs) of what is required from a front man at this level (now that comment wont be popular). As for Becchio, yes I am in line with Foghorn and certainly wouldnt disagree that he should have had more chances to date.