Sign in to follow this  
rieg77

Managerial Shopping List

Being serious. There''s a lot of  managerial talent in the European leagues. The real question isn''t that there''s nobody out there so would we get. It''s more about how attractive is NCFC to court the attentions of managers from top Dutch French German leagues.

I would be happy with Zola and I hadn''t considered Hoddle but he might be just the man for the situation we are in at the moment.

Both the above would love coaching our squad and here is the main point - whatever our opinions this vacancy would be a fantastic job if offered NOW or at the very latest after the Sham game.

As stated before, as an outsider I would be delighted with Uwe Rossler. Played under top managers and has typical germanic organisational and leadership skills.

Hate to say it though, as things stand at the moment it is almost anyone will be an improvement, even in the short term. Hoots lovers I know that is hard to take but he would never motivate me (nor his dumb coaches) and his woeful interview with Chris Goreham almost made me take a visit to the Orwell Bridge.

Have a happy Sunday all.

Whoareyou?, Solskjaer came out earlier this year after turning down both Villa - before Lambert was given the job - and Blackburn saying how he wasn''t interested in returning to the Premier League anytime soon - unless, of course, Man United came calling - because he''s moved all his family back to Norway where they are settled. He also has something to prove still at Molde, trying for three back-to-back titles, having been knocked out of the Champions League and a thrashing int he Europa Cup.

I can''t see, as much as it would be nice for him to come here should Hughton leave, why he would want this job when his reputation could be in tatters were we to be relegated.

So many of the names on this thread are ridiculous! How attractive a proposition do you think we are ... When was the last time we appointed a big name manager!?

Hoddle, Di Matteo, Zola & Bielsa wouldn''t touch us with a barge pole.

If it happens then it is going to cost us a lot of money to sack Chris Hughton and get a decent replacement in, so the club will need to get it right. If we do sack Chris Hughton then for me we need somebody with a proven track record at a high level, otherwise the danger is we get another manager with "potential" and find ourselves out of the frying pan and into the fire. Anybody know of a manager with the required pedigree that is available?

Frank Rijkaard

Reason: He was is the reason Barcelona have been so good in recent years and why Spain have been so good.

His influence over the Barcelona youth system developed Iniesta, Puyol, Xavi etc.  He laid the foundations for Guardiola.

Yes he was a defensive midfielder, but a very skillful one who has the dutch ethos in his blood.

Expensive? Yes

Unrealistic? Maybe

However he is available, and with two talented young Dutch players already here with Acadamy development key to our future, he could well be the guy to take us to the next level.

Maybe I am dreaming, but at this point, we could do with a few coming true!

Snake

Given the strength of the squad that Zola has had last season and this he has underperformed, he has no defensive awareness at all, steer well clear.

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Good shout Snake, that is the level we should be aiming for, expensive maybe, but if it keeps us in the EPL........[/quote]
And Neeskens No2 or something[Y]

I definately think going Dutch is the way to go!

You also have Cocu at Alkmaar who is not bad either.  Overmars is the director of football at Ajax, Bergkamp a coach, Neeskins is involved.

There has to be something in it, doesn''t there?

We are so behind in our approach to football in this country and I just don''t believe british coaches are up to it, CH included.

We are being beaten, Technically, Tactically and it seems too regularly!

Snake

Seeing as i know sod all about european managers, i have to go for UK based managers and my top 3 would be Mike Phelan, martin oneill (if we can gazump ireland) and stuart mccall.

For some reason i get the feeling that Neil Lennon may be in with a chance, i hope not but just have a feeling.

just realised Gus Hiddink is available i think, maybe out of our league but he may want one last challenge in English football, otherwise I would love diego Simeone but highly unlikely

"I definately think going Dutch is the way to go!"

I can only think of two Dutch managers in Premier League history (although there could of course be more?).

Those are Martin Jol and Ruud Gullit. Neither exactly successful (wonder whether Fulham fans think that Dutch is the way to go).

But if we are going to go Dutch then why not go the whole hog and bring in none other than..... Johan Cruyff.

Currently without a job, maybe he would fancy a challenge?

Your judgement is based on just two?

Wow Le Judge, extensive research!

Gullit didn''t do too badly, great style, but no real time and Jol is a solid manager, but not the best example I would use.  Maybe there is a reason why they don''t come and manage here?

PL Experience? Mourinho (1st time), Laudrup, Ponchettino, Pellegrini, Wenger, Mancini never had PL experience, yet they didn''t do or are not doing too badly are they? This requirement is seriously overrated.

I am not saying Dutch is our only option, just one we should be really looking at.  Moreover I believe we must look outside of the UK if we are going to compete. I just don''t see anyone in this country worth even considering! A very sad state of affairs!

Snake

Snake,

Where did I at any stage make a judgement?

If I were against a Dutch manager then I wouldn''t have recommended one would I?

Just pointing out that there hasn''t been many Dutch managers in the English game.

I had a Dutch coach in Italy (complementing the Italian ones). English structures were 30 years behind then. I also worked in English football subsequently. The coach education was embarrassing. The players'' level of tactical awareness was negligible and inflexible.

Despite what simple English footballers / managers / cheap journalists tell you, it really matters.

An ongoing Dutch connection a'' la Barca origins with Cruyff, Van Gaal, Rijkaard is logical given our location, price of Dutch players, wages paid in Holland, amount of playing/coaching talent there, players we have on our books, kind if football that can be successful in the prem, kind of football we like to see at Norwich.....

..quite sure DM has thought if all of this....

Just trying to understand the relevence Le Juge.

And as for Lennon.... NOOOOOO WAAAAAY THANK YOU!

We kind of forget in this country that there is a whole world of football out there and we are obsessed with the idea that the PL is the be all and end all. If it was and our football is so great why have we been so crap for so long and why do most of our successful teams have more non british players and non british managers (SAF is the exception)?

I''m beginning to wonder if Frank Rijkaard might be the man. Don''t know enough about him though to be truthful. Anybody here know much?

And yet despite us all hearing about how much more advanced coaching is in on the continent we still see Steve McLaren going to Holland and winning the Eredivisie in a league full of Dutch coaches, and the first manager to get the sack over here this season being an Italian one who rooted his club to the bottom of the league. The most successful manager in this leagues history is British (Sir Alex Ferguson).

The man who invented "Total Football" which became the trademark of Dutch/Ajax philosophy was a British coach named Vic Buckingham, and there have been several English managers achieve success in Spain, Italy and Holland, something which they would presumably not be able to do if competing against a field of superior tacticians and motivators. Bobby Robson, Roy Hodgson, Terry Venables, Greame Souness, and John Toshack have all had success overseas.

That said though, I do think we need to try a big name foreign coach - one with some charisma, a Laudrup style appointment, somebody with some fresh ideas and a winners mentality. Whichever nationality they are.

I really can''t see Rijkaard taking a job like this, his stock is high enough to hold out for a better opportunity.

Very successful at Barca, laying the foundations for what we see now and won the European Cup as a manager there as well.

Rebuilt the side around Ronaldinho.

Was at Galatasaray for a short, unsuccessful spell, before Managing Saudi Arabia.

Now a consultant for an Academy in Florida.

If Rijkaard came here I think I would wet my pants. Not sure with what type of fluid either...

It would be a dream appointment. Which is why it isn''t going to happen.