Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

The season starts here.

Yesterday was the lowest of the low.   Worse than last Tuesday.   Worse than 5-0 Fulham.    Almost as bad as the 1-7.    Imo very similar to the 7-0 at Blackburn, in the early 90''s.  Embarrassing and a wake up call of the most severe kind.   The manager has to respond. The players have to respond.  They will have to fight much more for everything, whoever they are playing against.  I think Hughton will be staying on a while yet to see if he can get the required response.  There are not that many alternatives out there who we could expect to turn it round in a short space of time.     Mike walker wasn''t phased by the 7- 0 at Blackburn.  Hughton won''t be either. 

Hopefully it will shock the players into some kind of reaction.   They should be embarrassed by their last two performances.   The season has just hit rock bottom and they have to stand up and be counted now and prove they believe in themselves, the manager and the club they play for - prove they are not just mercenary, weak charactered and quitters.The season starts here.

Unfortunately, the season doesn''t start here. We''ve already played a good few games and lost a good few points. We wouldn''t be in the bottom 3 if the season only just started. Alphabetically we''d be safe.

Also, the 7-1 defeat to Blackburn was in very different circumstances. Mike Walker was only in the first few months of his reign and had already posted some good results and taken us to the top of the table. Unlike CH. The reault was more of an anomily and we had hardly suffered thumping defeats or poor performances prior to that. I don''t think there can be a case made for comparing the two games. There was also the undercurrent of sadness with the loss of Bryan Gunn''s daughter the week preceeding the game (and ironically he was the best player on the pitch that day)

The season should have been started 10 games ago, weve had some games, but some winnable games, Everton before mccarthy, lukaku and barry, Hull, Villa, Cardiff. Tottenham and Man City worringly were non events and as well as we played against arsenal and chelsea we got 0 points.

I agree with LDC - time to pick themselves up, brush themselves down, and start all over again. There is no one out there that would do any better at the moment.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Yesterday was the lowest of the low.   Worse than last Tuesday.   Worse than 5-0 Fulham.    Almost as bad as the 1-7.   

Imo very similar to the 7-0 at Blackburn, in the early 90''s.  Embarrassing and a wake up call of the most severe kind.   The manager has to respond. The players have to respond.  They will have to fight much more for everything, whoever they are playing against. 

I think Hughton will be staying on a while yet to see if he can get the required response.  There are not that many alternatives out there who we could expect to turn it round in a short space of time.     Mike walker wasn''t phased by the 7- 0 at Blackburn.  Hughton won''t be either. 

Hopefully it will shock the players into some kind of reaction.   They should be embarrassed by their last two performances.   The season has just hit rock bottom and they have to stand up and be counted now and prove they believe in themselves, the manager and the club they play for - prove they are not just mercenary, weak charactered and quitters.

The season starts here.

[/quote]

Oh, ffs...............peace in our time.[:S]

Yes 7-1. Apologies. Funny how time affects your memory.  Emabarrassment  was the overiding memory that day - that''s what I take from yesterday too - and last Tuesday, come to that.   Two appalling games in quick succession.

But there are still 28 games to play.  Hughton proved he could motivate a team last season at this stage.  We need that again.

No, we''ve already had more than 1/4 of the season. You can''t say the season starts here. We now need more than one point per game to survive. At the start of a season we have the same number of points as everyone else. We now have less points than all but 2 other teams. In other words we are in very deep sh*t.

So where are we left when we gain say 1 or no points from 3 games ? I can see Spam beating us and Palace. Then its to late and we will be playing a QPR. Ie lost cause.

Bloody long pre season with a lot of friendlys wasn''t it? As far as i''m concerned the board should sack him now before the season starts, If he takes the form we have shown from those friendlys then we will really struggle to stay up, especially when you take into account that alphabetical order has gone out of the window this season and we appear to have been punished by the FA with a very negative goal difference and minus 1 point penalty from safety, still could be worse, palace and sunderland have received far harsher points deductions!

When we lost to Blackburn 7 - 0 was that the season we finished 3rd? it was an isolated freak result. The Colchester game was an unmitigated disaster but prompted change and we all know what happened after wards. The Fulham game was another disaster and at the time went against a good run of games. yesterday was the culmination of 3 defeats in 4 games 15 goals against 1 for. This is not an isolated result. Most of us thought we would lose but not as bad as this. If there was an obvious replacement Hughton would be gone now, i sense he will be given to the end of the month and he needs at least 6 points from those 3 fixtures

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]When we lost to Blackburn 7 - 0 was that the season we finished 3rd? it was an isolated freak result. The Colchester game was an unmitigated disaster but prompted change and we all know what happened after wards. The Fulham game was another disaster and at the time went against a good run of games. yesterday was the culmination of 3 defeats in 4 games 15 goals against 1 for. This is not an isolated result. Most of us thought we would lose but not as bad as this. If there was an obvious replacement Hughton would be gone now, i sense he will be given to the end of the month and he needs at least 6 points from those 3 fixtures[/quote]I think we already established it was 7-1....

[quote user="lake district canary"]Yesterday was the lowest of the low.   Worse than last Tuesday.   Worse than 5-0 Fulham.    Almost as bad as the 1-7.    Imo very similar to the 7-0 at Blackburn, in the early 90''s.  Embarrassing and a wake up call of the most severe kind.   The manager has to respond. The players have to respond.  They will have to fight much more for everything, whoever they are playing against.  I think Hughton will be staying on a while yet to see if he can get the required response.  There are not that many alternatives out there who we could expect to turn it round in a short space of time.     Mike walker wasn''t phased by the 7- 0 at Blackburn.  Hughton won''t be either. 

Hopefully it will shock the players into some kind of reaction.   They should be embarrassed by their last two performances.   The season has just hit rock bottom and they have to stand up and be counted now and prove they believe in themselves, the manager and the club they play for - prove they are not just mercenary, weak charactered and quitters.The season starts here.

[/quote]

How is it similar to the 7-1 at Blackburn which was a freak result inflicted on a team riding high at the top of the league? That result was a shock that nobody saw coming possibly borne partly from complacency and everyone knew it was a one off. The players and manager had earnt the right to have such a result written off as a bad day at the office through their general excellent level of performance.

This, very clearly, was not a one off and to be frank it was not really a shock because many of us saw it coming. This manager also has no credit left in the bank. Whilst this was admittedly worse than some days at the office this type of performance is not untypical under Hughton, especially away from home. Nothing like the Blackburn away result at all.

[quote user="lake district canary"]Yesterday was the lowest of the low.   Worse than last Tuesday.   Worse than 5-0 Fulham.    Almost as bad as the 1-7.   

Imo very similar to the 7-0 at Blackburn, in the early 90''s.  Embarrassing and a wake up call of the most severe kind.   The manager has to respond. The players have to respond.  They will have to fight much more for everything, whoever they are playing against. 

I think Hughton will be staying on a while yet to see if he can get the required response.  There are not that many alternatives out there who we could expect to turn it round in a short space of time.     Mike walker wasn''t phased by the 7- 0 at Blackburn.  Hughton won''t be either. 

Hopefully it will shock the players into some kind of reaction.   They should be embarrassed by their last two performances.   The season has just hit rock bottom and they have to stand up and be counted now and prove they believe in themselves, the manager and the club they play for - prove they are not just mercenary, weak charactered and quitters.

The season starts here.

[/quote]

season starts here??, we played a quarter of it already!

I dont know whether this is shere head in the sand or just a tale of the emperors new clothes?.....but its time for those who havent already done so to face up to it....its NOT GOING TO GET ANY BETTER UNDER HUGHTON and his coaching staff, We''ve had 11 months of consistently bad performances, I don''t know what you''re expecting to happen?. The longer this drags on ,the harder the task will be for the next man, we must act now whilst the situation is still retreivable.

Just do not know how bad it has to get before the Maestro from Cumbria realises that we are in a real mess.

The comparison with the 7-1 at Ewood Pk are ridiculous. It was right at the start of the campaign, and a freak result in the middle of some really impressive ones. Yesterday was the culmination of some hopelessly inept displays over the course of the last 10 months, and after several other games where City have been on the end of a tonking.

No, I think that yesterday had for more resonance with the Colchester 7-1 thrashing. That led to the board being galvanised into action, a hopelessly underachieving and out of his depth manager being ousted and a new broom brought in.

And we know what that led to, don''t we ?

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Just do not know how bad it has to get before the Maestro from Cumbria realises that we are in a real mess.

The comparison with the 7-1 at Ewood Pk are ridiculous. It was right at the start of the campaign, and a freak result in the middle of some really impressive ones. Yesterday was the culmination of some hopelessly inept displays over the course of the last 10 months, and after several other games where City have been on the end of a tonking.

No, I think that yesterday had for more resonance with the Colchester 7-1 thrashing. That led to the board being galvanised into action, a hopelessly underachieving and out of his depth manager being ousted and a new broom brought in.

And we know what that led to, don''t we ?[/quote]And also much easier when your team is a big fish in a small pond. Something that doesn''t apply in the present situation.

A fair point, Ricardo, but, to continue with your analogy, sure, the pond we are in is far bigger now, but, as for managerial appointments, we are a big enough fish to be looking not just in our own pond, but in many other large tracts of water too.

If we are not careful, the dreaded "little old Norwich" brigade will start talking the club down again. Make no mistake, there are some damn good managers out there who would give their right arm to manage a club like Norwich in the EPL.

This is utter cobblers

The 7.1 against Blackburn was completely different to yesterday. Those of us that were there rubbed our eyes at the final whistle because we actually hadn''t played that badly!

We finished 3rd that year . The result against Blackburn followed a 6 game unbeaten run in the league including 5 consecutive wins , then a draw away to Coventry.

In fact the loss was only the second league defeat of the season and was our 11th game.

No comparison.  

[quote user="Highland Canary"]7-0 vs Sheffield Wednesday 1938. We were relegated that season. The players look lost. Change is needed now.[/quote]I remember the Sheffield Wednesday reverse well. Was a terrible time for us and I remember us all calling for the sacking of Bob Young on the Wireless and through Newspaper letter pages......