Sign in to follow this  
Damo

Martin's interview ...

"The Scottish international revealed that Chris Hughton didn’t read the riot act immediately after the final whistle following the Canaries’ 7-0 capitulation at Manchester City yesterday. But the right-back insisted there was no need as he and his team-mates struggled to come to terms with one of the Carrow Road outfit’s worst defeats of all time – and because they knew they would be sifting through the wreckage of their horror show at training today."

After reading this, I couldn''t help but feeling a bit gobsmacked. Russ goes on to say that there would have been no point. I disagree wholeheartedly. There is every point!

If you know you''re not going to get a dressing down after a 7-0 drubbing, what incentive I there to improve?

In tandem with the result, this has left me with a hugely bitter taste in my mouth.

Does anyone else feel the same way, or am I perhaps being a bit over sensitive due to the circumstances?

Farro,

IMO over sensitive.  It was obvious to me from his tone and demeanour he (and let''s hope the other players) were beating themselves up without the need for CH to do it for them.  I recall a few years ago when after a few too many beers and, shall we say letting myself down, apologising to my wife for what she had to endure she replied, with a great deal of understanding "OK, it happens".  A while later I apologised again and got the same reply, after the 3rd time I said will you please just give me the bo!!ocking I deserve.  Her reply this time was, "No, you beat yourself up, I''m not going to do anything to help you cleanse your conscience."  Far more effective than giving me a bo!!ocking so we could move on, I would suggest the players are in a similar position, they need to take a good look at themselves and sweat over that performance.  A short sharp bo!!ocking from the manager and all can be forgotten, a long hard look at themselves and lessons may be learned.

I think what this highlights is that morale is at an all time low and the true team captain and link in the changing room is Martin. Give the bloke the armband, drop Bass at least until hes fit, let Bennet show what he can do. Stop stranding the striker , stop playing so fing deep all the time.We can all see the problems, so why cant the only people with the power to effect this ?

There are many ways to get your point across Farro, and whilst I have little regard for CH as a manager I would not necessarily criticise him for not giving the players the hair dryer treatment after the game.

There was an interesting interview with Brian Laudrup before the Cardiff Swansea games today and he was asked this very question about his management style! His reply was there are many different ways to get your point across! the hair dryer is one of many! none are right and none are wrong.

I can see the pro'' s and con''s. I guess I just really felt like having a go at them yesterday, haha!

I mentioned this in a similar thread yesterday. Hughton would get a lot more respect from me if he came out a gave the players what for. He''s trying to be nice but all the players can be thinking is "Sweet, I can play like cack and still get away with it!". He needs to just be slightly mean and he''d probably see a better response on saturday

Hughton also said they would all be looking at the video this morning and blame would be aportioned then

I hope this also applies to the mistakes made by the management team as well as the players!

I always think the riot act is better when there is complacency because spirits are overly high. As in you win a few games, show how good you are, then decide you''re going to win without putting any effort in. At the moment, our confidence is so low that I''m not sure rollocking them will have all that much effect.

Real damage can be done in a situation like this when emotions are running high for everyone. Some players might end up brawling with each other or the manager, things might be said that can never be taken back.

I think he did the right thing. Sleep on it, watch the DVD them give them a fcuk ing the proper way.

Dropping bassong for example would have far more impact than a roasting.

Without picking him out hes been awfull this season and nothing like the player of last year. I would drop him, it would show the others that no one is beyond being dropped.

Wings of a Sparrow wrote the following post at 03/11/2013 8:39 PM:

Do people really think Premier League footballers can get away with not putting any effort in in front of millions of people including prospective employees.

Whose talking about not putting "any" effort in?

Of course they put effort in, the issue here is that top pros in any sport generally fail if their performance levels drop off by quite small margins, they don''t need to be much off their best against a team like Man City and you see what happens.

They all tried but not hard enough! Good managers are able to squeeze that bit extra out of players, that fine margin that makes all the difference.

Hughton needed time to think......again.

Is it any surprise the man who can''t think on his feet in a live game can''t do the same thing in a dressing room.

He needed a couple of days to think about what to say how he would have reacted to Fer''s Cardiff goal standing whereas McKay was straight in.

Everything else is non-committal and by numbers.

As a player myself, the last thing you want after a big defeat is a dressing down. Morale will already be low and the players will already feel humiliated.

What you need to do is let everyone reflect, don''t push blame, and then when you get back to the training ground on Monday, you put those errors to bed, you work hard, and you channel that frustration, humiliation and turn it into determination and maybe a bit of anger. We NEED three points on Saturday, and a crushing defeat is a wake up call for the squad. Let''s just hope they manage to get 3 points otherwise it could be disastrous.